GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG clutch pack upgrade recommendations needed

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
A K04 turbo, a limited slip differential and more track days are all in my car's future. If I am installing an LSD and know that the car will be coming close to the limits of the OEM transmission, does it make sense to upgrade the clutch pack at the same time? It looks like APR no longer makes their kit so are there any other recommendations? I don't see exceeding the specs for APR's K04 which is 375HP/408TQ on 100 octane.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I went through the same debacle with mine when I had my LSD done. APR still makes the DQ250 clutch packs for our cars but they're having software issues with certain box codes which is why they removed them for sale for the time being. For KO4 power levels all you need is good DSG software (HPA or APR). I wouldn't trust anyone else for proper DSG software. When my trans was pulled apart they said everything looked brand new even though it was a 70k mile (heavily abused but well maintained) transmission.

It's not really power that kills these transmissions...it's heat.

The only thing I can really recommend is looking at getting the bigger OEM DSG cooler off the TTRS (theres a link to it in my build thread). It's bigger than stock but still bolts into the same location. Alternatively, USRT sells a plate that replaces the DSG cooler and allows you to run an external cooler for better cooling capacity

http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1908

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
A good DSG tune and potentially divorced cooling system, I have a trans pan ready to go with 8an bugs for a divorced pump style cooler and a usp cool flow filter housing and OEM brand new clutch cover I'll sell (PM me). I have a dq500 now.

A good dsg tune for racing will help eliminate slip which helps keep the temps down, it will not be as smooth though when you are just driving normal.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
A good DSG tune and potentially divorced cooling system, I have a trans pan ready to go with 8an bugs for a divorced pump style cooler and a usp cool flow filter housing and OEM brand new clutch cover I'll sell (PM me). I have a dq500 now.

A good dsg tune for racing will help eliminate slip which helps keep the temps down, it will not be as smooth though when you are just driving normal.

Maybe it's not off the TTRS then, but it's larger and it bolted right in without any modification.

Why won't the USRT plate work?

MacRadiators

Passed Driver's Ed
Check TVS engineering for clutch upgrade. They have no equals when it comes to dsg.
DSG plate with external oil cooler works just fine.

Chris659

Ready to race!
Maybe it's not off the TTRS then, but it's larger and it bolted right in without any modification.

Why won't the USRT plate work?

Think you’re referring to the TT-S cooler that’s supposed to be larger and still got the dq250

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
There used be chinese company selling giant factory fit coolers that were even taller than the TT 15 row coolers. They were like 20 rows or something.

MacRadiators

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the TVS stage 2 on the RS3 gearbox and it has no equals to be honest.
Expensive yes, but its better than anything i ever tried on the other dq500 and dl501 i have.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
To the OP, what did you end up doing? I'm in the same boat. K04 and LSD sitting on the shelf waiting to go in. I got 115k on my stock clutches. Been APR stage 1 for maybe 60k and Stage 2 for 10k or so. I daily drive my GTI and 99% of the time I'm babying it due to traffic.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
OEM clutches are no issue, if you want put new OEM in. A good dsg tune will hold OEM clutches until the gears break. My 600hp mk6 had OEM clutches in dq250 with a Unitronic stg3 dsg tune no slipping but broke the gears. My 470hp mk5 with 125k Unitronic stage 2 dsg tune oem original clutches. Both unitronic ecu tunes and fueling. Now the mk6 has a dq500 with uni tuning.