GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Major Maintenance Question

hendershot

Hi. I've got a 2013 model with 85K miles on it. I've got it scheduled for a significant maintenance interval next week. I'm going to have my shop replace the timing belt. As part of that, I believe they are going to replace the water pump, so that issue should be covered going forward.

My question is on the old cam follower issue. Should I have them replace the follower for the fuel pump? Mine is a later model and when I bought it the dealer shop indicated it shouldn't be an issue. It seems like now would be the time to do it though.

Also is there anything else I should be thinking about?

Many thanks

H.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
The cam follower doesn’t have a regular service interval. Just keep an eye on it and replace it when it needs to be replaced.

bebersol

Ready to race!
Ok. Thanks Tim.

most people with modded HPFP do about every 10k, with the stock HPFP I change every 20 - 25K (miles). If it's unknown when it was last done I'd do it. its about $40 in parts and 15 minutes of labor. If it fails on you it'll be about $5k or more to fix your engine (think metal shrapnel in the oil).

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
at what mileage should the timing belt be replaced?

Inspect it regularly starting at 80k or so, and change it when it's looking worn out. I did mine at 105k because I got nervous about it, but the parts that came out were still in good shape.