GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wiring rear speakers?

Rubba

So this is my first post here and i'm new to the golf but an old pal to VWs and Audis :thumbsup:

After purchasing the car from previous owner i did a full service and i have noticed that there was no sound coming from the rear, i asked the dealer and told some golfs doesn't have rear speakers, i was really mad because it never happened to me before :mad0259:

Anyway i decided to remove the door panel and found the speakers placed in but not wired?? i don't know much about electricity or wiring. Any advice about this? is it possible to wire them?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Are they aftermarket speakers? The OEM speakers use a special plug, but it's just standard speaker level wires running to them. Maybe they put in aftermarket speakers, cut the wires, and put OEM speakers back in before selling the car. If you can get a closer look, and maybe some photos, I can help.

As a side, rear speakers are always the first thing I remove/disconnect in a stereo build, they ruin the stereo imaging, and blur the stage. People get used to having them, but they hurt the overall sound quality of the system.

Rubba

No they're OEM, but i didn't touch anything since i know nothing about wiring.
Also front passenger speaker vibrates a lot when delivering bass which indicates it needs replacement, that's why i'm asking if wiring the rear speakers is possible because i'm thinking of changing that one and maybe get a new sound system.
i used to have rears plus i always been in 10-12 speakers system :D

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
The OEM speakers have a simple plug in connector. Maybe the previous owner had aftermarket speakers that they wanted to keep and didn't plug the OEM ones back in. It's strange to me that they would have speakers back there with no wiring, if you get a chance snap a photo of what you're working with. The front speaker may be blown, or again, maybe the previous owner took their aftermarket speakers back and put the OEM ones in and didn't secure it properly. It's tough to guess without looking at it.

Rubba

As i have been told they come from the factory unplugged or with no wiring, and maybe like you said.
I will post pics or send them to you by pm as soon as i start working on them.
Thanks dude!

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
As i have been told they come from the factory unplugged or with no wiring, and maybe like you said.
I will post pics or send them to you by pm as soon as i start working on them.
Thanks dude!

That's just odd to me. Most of the time it's a lot cheaper to put the wiring in place, even if certain accessories are equipped. That doesn't have to be the case here, but usually all of the wiring is in place. I'd be interested in taking a look to see if the wiring was just cut, or never there in the first place. If there is no wiring, you can run wires yourself. It's a lot of work to do correctly, but it can be done. If your goal is eventually to have a great stereo, I wouldn't bother running wires, like I said before, rear speakers hurt (not help) stereo imaging. That's totally your call though. If you can post some photos hopefully I can help.

Rubba

Everything is there except the wiring

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Bummer, does it look like anything was cut near the rubber boot to the right of the speaker? So, VW spend the money to rivet speakers in place, but couldn't be bothered to run the wires?

Rubba

Bummer, does it look like anything was cut near the rubber boot to the right of the speaker? So, VW spend the money to rivet speakers in place, but couldn't be bothered to run the wires?

No nothing, i followed the wiring and it looks fine.
Stupid right? i don't know how they think...

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, I'm really surprised they did it that way, usually they leave the wiring in place and omit whatever accessory is connected to the wires.

You can run new wires, but it won't be simple, and my opinion is that your stereo will sound better without rear speakers anyway. If you're interested I can explain why.

Rubba

Naah no problem at least you helped me. Can i buy a whole wire and replace the current one? or it's hard anyway?
Yes i'm interested why not :D

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
That's just odd to me. Most of the time it's a lot cheaper to put the wiring in place, even if certain accessories are equipped. That doesn't have to be the case here, but usually all of the wiring is in place. I'd be interested in taking a look to see if the wiring was just cut, or never there in the first place. If there is no wiring, you can run wires yourself. It's a lot of work to do correctly, but it can be done. If your goal is eventually to have a great stereo, I wouldn't bother running wires, like I said before, rear speakers hurt (not help) stereo imaging. That's totally your call though. If you can post some photos hopefully I can help.

Vw factory fit wiring looms that are specific to the specification ordered by the customer and will not have wiring for any piece of equipment not included during the car being built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Is the tweeter fitted in the door card? And if so is it plugged in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammymk6IRE

Hi Rubba, I just found I have the same issue. How did you solve this please? I’d appreciate if you could let me know. Thank you