GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mario's Build Thread/Sofia's journey to greatness

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
So some of you following along may say, "but Mario, what about your reaction to going from stage1 to stage 2?!? You usually discuss the mod...Well, I'll be honest with you I was underwhelmed, unfortunately my clutch was not...so yes on the very next day on the drive back to new jersey I noticed my clutch slipping in one of the higher gears and over the next 2 weeks it wound up getting worse. Fourth thru 6th would slip whenever I got on it.

Now I was already expecting this at some point after going stage 2 after reading several members discussing clutch slippage at stage 2 (some in stage 1), but I was being optimistic and hoping it wouldn't happen so soon. However! I had already researched my options and knew what I wanted. Most importantly, a clutch that would solve my problem, something that could hold the power and then some just incase my endgame was K04 or something slightly larger. Then it was the issue of pros and cons for light weight flywheel vs. dual mass flywheel and for me that choice was easy. Although a LWFW has attractive pros...the chatter is a deal breaker for me and I had heard nothing but great reviews for the HS-Tuning RSR clutch kit, it embodied the exact solution I was looking for, from clutch feel to capability. Sooooooo, I called up HS-Tuning (I think they also happened to be running a sale on them at the time, how convenient :D) and pulled the trigger on the RSR clutch kit and patiently waited.

Last edited:

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
NOW looking back...I can say, September 2014 was a great month for myself and Sofia, and I can't believe I left out the most significant part as to why I was able to start modding her more...
After exactly 2 and 1/2 years, half of the time I had financed her for (5 year finance), I had paid her off in full! :happyanim: https://www.instagram.com/p/syE-YnPxFt/?taken-by=mariogoogs
I was dumping a grand a month on her once I saved up some money for the rest of my expenses and that loan disappeared, needless to say...the feeling was fucking amazing...she was mine, all mine! Modding fever was now in full swing :evil:

Last edited:

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
NOW looking back...I can say, September 2014 was a great month for myself and Sofia, and I can't believe I left out the most significant part as to why I was able to start modding her more...
After exactly 2 and 1/2 years, half of the time I had financed her for (5 year finance), I had paid her off in full! :happyanim: https://www.instagram.com/p/syE-YnPxFt/?taken-by=mariogoogs
I was dumping a grand a month on her once I saved up some money for the rest of my expenses and that loan disappeared, needless to say...the feeling was fucking amazing...she was mine, all mine! Modding fever was now in full swing :evil:

Followed you on IG! My id is deep.mit.

Btw, have you upgraded to Stage2 v2.1 in "current time"? ;) That was definitely an overwhelming feeling for me going from Stage1!

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
Followed you on IG! My id is deep.mit.

Btw, have you upgraded to Stage2 v2.1 in "current time"? ;) That was definitely an overwhelming feeling for me going from Stage1!

yup, big difference, but something i'll discuss later that I had posted in the v2.0/2.1 thread http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103688&page=97 from post #1348 and down, I think they fucked up when they tried to reflash me because I was putting stage 1 numbers up on the dyno with the old stage 2 file before reflashing to v2.1 (same dyno btw)

here's videos of my results after the upgrade to v2.1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TLFRdIPXkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmaJc_L0xKc

Last edited:

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
- HS Tuning RSR Clutch Kit (10/14/14) + new OEM Flywheel

So the RSR clutch kit had come in and I booked my appointment at RSW, which also gave me a chance to check out their new shop location (they had recently moved locations at the time) Needless to say the new shop looked great. However, the news I received over the phone was not so great after dropping off the car. Unfortunately my flywheel had significant hot spots from clutch slippage and had to bite the bullet on a new flywheel as well because if you're gonna do it, you gotta do it right...sourced it from DAP and saved $100 bucks doing so
Here's pics of the old flywheel:

After all was said and done, I picked up the car, headed home and started working immediately on breaking her in. After work at the end of the night I found a massive parking lot or isolated road and just did a shit load of stop and go, sometimes just letting the clutch itself do all the work, little to no throttle. It's the most effective way to speed up the break in process, not # of miles. I did my usual daily driving (granny style tho) during the day, mixed in a little highway driving and then my easy stop and go midnight routine. Only had a couple of days to break it in because in a couple of days I would be putting the kit to a real test (participating in the Fall Show N' Go Drag races). After breaking the RSR clutch kit in, it felt great, stiffer pedal feel than stock, but nothing crazy by any means, in fact I got used to it immediately. I still have it over 5000k miles later, still love it, and it's holding as good as always. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Two thumbs way up for the RSR Clutch Kit!!!

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
:word: Absolutely love my RSR kit!

How many miles on your old flywheel? That looks really bad. Good that you replaced all in one go :thumbsup:

I would say around 38,000-39,000 miles, reason being I know I upgraded my coilpacks and changed my spark plugs only a couple days after this and that was at 39,000 miles

Yea definitely did my damage those 2 weeks it was slipping and I was still getting on it...:bonk:

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
I would say around 38,000-39,000 miles, reason being I know I upgraded my coilpacks and changed my spark plugs only a couple days after this and that was at 39,000 miles

Yea definitely did my damage those 2 weeks it was slipping and I was still getting on it...:bonk:

Haha, good that they told you about the flywheel while everything was apart. You wouldn't have wanted to pay for the install again :D

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
- ECS Tuning Red Dogbone Mount Insert Kit (10/18/14)

Next up I wanted to eliminate wheel hop because as previously stated I planned on running the 1/4 mile at Fall Show'N'Go

- ECS Tuning Red Dogbone Mount Insert Kit (10/18/14)

Didn't want to add NVH so I went with the ECS insert, it did the job, but I'll be honest i'm curious to see what HPA's 75a red puck feels like, maybe I'll upgrade one day, but for $35 ECS's isnt bad at all(at least that's what it cost at the the time, dunno if price has changed since). My only complaint is the bolt they give is rusted to shit. If I have some spare cash, I might buy HPA's puck this year at waterfest.

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
- OEM RED R8 Coilpacks w/ NGK laser platinum premium spark plugs (10/18/14)

If I recall correctly I might have started to misfire at one or two cylinders and I had already bought the plugs and coilpacks at GSE's season opener in the spring because I read the coil packs were most likely going to need upgrading at stage 2.

- OEM RED R8 Coilpacks w/ NGK laser platinum premium spark plugs (10/18/14) (39,000 miles)

Was gonna hold off until 40k service, but I was at 39,000miles and had the drag race coming up the next day so I popped these in. Problem solved :thumbsup:

I was ready for the big day, poppin the 1/4 mile drag race cherry.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion

So the RSR clutch kit had come in and I booked my appointment at RSW, which also gave me a chance to check out their new shop location (they had recently moved locations at the time) Needless to say the new shop looked great. However, the news I received over the phone was not so great after dropping off the car. Unfortunately my flywheel had significant hot spots from clutch slippage and had to bite the bullet on a new flywheel as well because if you're gonna do it, you gotta do it right...sourced it from DAP and saved $100 bucks doing so
Here's pics of the old flywheel:

After all was said and done, I picked up the car, headed home and started working immediately on breaking her in. After work at the end of the night I found a massive parking lot or isolated road and just did a shit load of stop and go, sometimes just letting the clutch itself do all the work, little to no throttle. It's the most effective way to speed up the break in process, not # of miles. I did my usual daily driving (granny style tho) during the day, mixed in a little highway driving and then my easy stop and go midnight routine. Only had a couple of days to break it in because in a couple of days I would be putting the kit to a real test (participating in the Fall Show N' Go Drag races). After breaking the RSR clutch kit in, it felt great, stiffer pedal feel than stock, but nothing crazy by any means, in fact I got used to it immediately. I still have it over 5000k miles later, still love it, and it's holding as good as always. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Two thumbs way up for the RSR Clutch Kit!!!

Nice build! Sub'd. Dang dude...that flywheel looked rough!! [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
thanks man, she's at a good place right now but I have 1/4 room full of parts waiting to be installed :D

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
10-19-2014 - Fall Show N' Go 1/4 mile

The moment of truth, first time hitting the drag strip for a 1/4 mile run EVER! let alone with this car. Humbling experience to say the least.

This was at Fall Show N' Go 2014, don't recall exact temps but I remember it being cold because I stayed in my car between runs with the windows up. That was the least of my worries tho. ECS insert eliminated wheel hop, but between my inexperience launching, stock pirellis and the cold temps...let's just say wheel spin for dayzzzzzzzzzzzz(60' times were terrible)...best time I posted was a 14.3 which I was disappointed with. Bogged one of my launches and accidentally left the TC on for another (that was entertaining) :yikes:

here's one of my slower runs (i was in the further lane)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFsZGuHBPQ

All in all, extremely worthwhile experience. Learned a great deal about my car, spoke to several more experienced cool people, got a shit load of runs in so it was great practice, actually wound up winning one of my elimination rounds for a lil trophy and was happy that at least I didn't mis-shift at all
https://www.instagram.com/p/uWeGl1PxNw/

zrickety

The Fixer
Nice. I miss the strip, only been a couple times with previous cars. I'm looking for track days now.