GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about modifying my GTI.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I have no problem with getting a long with people I just was hoping this wasn't one of those forums with post nazis on it. I enjoy a nice put together forum/community. Especially with all the helpful responses! I love my car so I just try to get all the right answers before I take her apart.

This is an excellent forum. I drive a MKV but get lots of great info here because GolfR uses an FSI motor like my MKV.

Jwendling98

This is an excellent forum. I drive a MKV but get lots of great info here because GolfR uses an FSI motor like my MKV.

I almost bought a Golf R but the price of mine beat its unfortunately it was a fun test drive though. My brother has a 13 gti about to go stage 3+ its beautiful.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
That was literally my same exact idea :happyanim: need more people like you on this forum to help instead of people who are more concerned about how many times a question has been asked. Good luck with your car too man!

Thanks man, I have a MKV GTI that has a TSI CBFA motor In it. Im mostly on this forum instead of MKV due to my motor of course being in the mk6 and getting more info here. but as stated this forum is great for info if you ever need help feel free to ask me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
In the future, the best way to find anything on this forum is google search: cbfa downpipe site:golfmk6.com

The last chain will search the threads and gives much better results than any other search method.

And if you use parentheses around the word it will look for exact phrase. So if you wanted apr cbfa downpipe:
Cbfa downpipe "apr" site:golfmk6.com

Sent from phone Tapa

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
NO

Not Sure

Probably need a clutch.

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Don't mind the salty dickholes just lying in wait to tell you to search. They don't have much else to do. [emoji12]

Welcome!

No, you do not need a time to run an aftermarket downpipe.

There's a few good options. I'd look around on here actually for a used one and generally any name brand will be decent quality and $250-350 used depending on the brand is a good deal.

Yeah, you'll need a clutch - seems the stock clutch doesn't hold up well to increased demand.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Don't mind the salty dickholes just lying in wait to tell you to search. They don't have much else to do. [emoji12]

Welcome!

No, you do not need a time to run an aftermarket downpipe.

There's a few good options. I'd look around on here actually for a used one and generally any name brand will be decent quality and $250-350 used depending on the brand is a good deal.

Yeah, you'll need a clutch - seems the stock clutch doesn't hold up well to increased demand.

The point is how to search effectively. Forum search function can be terrible so I believe when people say they did search. There is some very good info here that is hard to find unless you know how to search it.

Sent from phone Tapa

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Teach a man to fish!

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
The point is how to search effectively. Forum search function can be terrible so I believe when people say they did search. There is some very good info here that is hard to find unless you know how to search it.

Sent from phone Tapa

Instead of answering his question as a new user like a jerk - you could provide the answer he's looking for and then inform about the search. It doesn't set a very positive precedent for the forum if people pop in and ask a question - even if it's readily searchable - only to be mocked and talked down to. We're not a Honda forum - we're better than that.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

Welcome!

But telling him to search is one more post count.

Teach a man to fish!

Thats a good reason i usually answer a question and then show them how to use google(for golfmk6 related searches not just general google search)

Instead of answering his question as a new user like a jerk - you could provide the answer he's looking for and then inform about the search. It doesn't set a very positive precedent for the forum if people pop in and ask a question - even if it's readily searchable - only to be mocked and talked down to. We're not a Honda forum - we're better than that.

Also valid points we complain about how dead the forum has become and then when new members show up we generally flame them.
Although some things people ask are a bit ridiculous. The OP did have some valid questions that may not have been easily searchable such as the cheapest CBFA downpipe question.

However when someone makes a thread asking what tune should i get its kinda annoying when there are entire sub forums dedicated to just that.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
First off, you need a stage 2 tune if you run a downpipe, which will help clear the check engine light. Even with just stage 1, you will need to upgrade with it.

As for clutch, it depends on miles, how the previous owner treated the car. It is not necessarily required, but i'd suggest saving money on that and labor (roughly $500+).

Can't really speak regardless of the engine type, other than I know it is more difficult to clear codes on CBFA than CCTA. I would be more concerned about emissions inspection requirements and plan that according, which I assume Ohio wouldn't be as strict as my area or California.

mophisto

Ready to race!
Just as pretty much everyone else has said; if you're going stage 2 you'll need a down pipe and intake. Since your CBFA you'll need a 3 bung DP. Which are generally more expensive. TBH, if you're not planning on tuning - don't bother, just get a cat back if you're looking for sound. You'll not pull that much more power/sound out of DP only.
If and when you get a tune you'll likely need a new clutch very quickly. Mine started slipping immediately after going Cobb stage 1 (which is notoriously under-powered compared to the others).

And since we're setting precedents now... don't forget to search in the future :D

Last edited:

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
However when someone makes a thread asking what tune should i get its kinda annoying when there are entire sub forums dedicated to just that.

I'm all for flaming in this situation