GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sputtering at 17lbs boost and up.

hansrandal

Running a Cobb on an otherwise stock 10 GTI. I recently eliminated the sound pipe by removing it and installing a block off plug in the pipe before the throttle body and took off and reinstalled the pcv unit on top of the valve cover (just to check it over), also cleaned the motor with simple green and water.
Now, when it hits 17psi the engine sputters and the CEL will flash briefly and then on steady and if I keep aggravating the situation the epc light will come on and the CEL will shut off and engine will run like it's on3 cylinders (maybea limp mode?). Now if I shut off the engine and restart then it runs great again until I hit 17psi. There are NO CODES stored when I use the access port to check for codes. The car has new plugs within 2000 miles and 2 of 4 coils are farely new. But again, no codes! If it was ignition them it would throw a po30X code.
...Thoughts? Boost leak? Vacuum leak? D/V problem? N75 valve? If I log with the access port what should I monitor and where can I download and look at the logs?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
How old are the older coils? Are the newer ones the newest revision? I would make sure all coils are newest revision VW or Genuine red top coils. Also make sure you have the correct heat range plugs and the correct gap on the plugs.

hansrandal

How old are the older coils? Are the newer ones the newest revision? I would make sure all coils are newest revision VW or Genuine red top coils. Also make sure you have the correct heat range plugs and the correct gap on the plugs.
Plugs are correct and gapped properly. 2 coils I replaced are generic aftermarket. However an ignition misfire will store codes and occur under load so theoretically it wouldn't matter about boost.