GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Condensation in Fog Light

ohsnapzombies

Ready to race!
So, wake up this morning and my passenger side fog light has lots of condensation in it. It's not cracked, never taken out bulb and didn't drive through a puddle. I have 12500 miles on my 2011. Took it to the dealer and the warranty guy said lights aren't covered over 12k. He said "the lights are porous so they can breathe". I asked him why the other has not fogged up.

After a few minutes of waiting while he went to make "a call". I've been put on hold. They said they have to call VW to see what they can do.....

Umm. What do?

obleedo

Ready to race!
Hes giving you BS. End of this summer my area was hit bad with hurricaine irene and literally the only things I was able to save that I own was my GTI and my mtn bike... make a long story short both my fog lights filled up completely with water, 2 weeks later I took it to the dealership I bought the car at and told them that this was unacceptable(I failed to mention the flood I drove through) and they replaced both without hesitation, and end of August I had around 13k miles.

I have the same issue right now!!! Passenger side.... gonna take it in i nte next 2 weeks or so.

I don't see a crack either. They better replace under warranty.

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
So you drove through a flood causing your fog lights to fill with water and then claimed warranty repair? Is that right??

If so, that's fraud and someone's paying for that... namely every other VW owner because VW has to get the money from somewhere to pay for the repair.

So *if* that's the case... Thanks buddy.

I seriously doubt it's a whole lot of skin off VW's back to replace a fog light. My fog lights are full of condesation all the time as well. Knowing my VW dealership (great sales, service... not so much) they are going to feed me a whole bunch of rehearsed horse s#@t like they always do about how it's "normal" or not covered like they did in his case. Like when my brakes were screeching like a god damn banshee after it had rained. They tried to tell me it was "normal" and that Audi / VW had put out a "brochure" about it. WTF? A brochure? How was that supposed to fix it? They still do it...

So, I would get that fog light taken care of any way you can my friend. Flood or not, warranty is a warranty. You paid for it, they have an obligation to fix it within the warranty that came with your car.

Medussa

Ready to race!
i had a similar problem but with my headlight. happend around 8k miles dealer change the entire housing for me

ohsnapzombies

Ready to race!
well, hopefully they call tomorrow. i'll be calling them by EOD if i don't hear anything. I've had several cars with fog lights. heck, i ran my xterra TO THE GROUND and the fogs still aren't "leaking" or "fogging" up to this day. It's been a good 6 years too.

Kalbo

I had same thing. Both side's fogged up. I didn't even notice, dealer told me at 10K service and replaced no problem.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
Check to see if you inside wheel well covers are in place. I had the same problem and someone swiped them leaving a gaping hole directley behind the fog lights.

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
I had some water get it ... all I did to solve/mitigate the problem was pop the hood...
remove the plastic covers off and remove all the light bulbs ((from the light which condensation occurred)) plug in a fan
and have it blow air into one of the hole... naturally air would tend to exit from the other hole... leave it alone for a couple hours ...and MOST if not ALL the condensation will go away...

A HOT sunny day will also do the trick FAST...

ohsnapzombies

Ready to race!
I had some water get it ... all I did to solve/mitigate the problem was pop the hood...
remove the plastic covers off and remove all the light bulbs ((from the light which condensation occurred)) plug in a fan
and have it blow air into one of the hole... naturally air would tend to exit from the other hole... leave it alone for a couple hours ...and MOST if not ALL the condensation will go away...

A HOT sunny day will also do the trick FAST...

for the fog light?

i don't feel messing with the car but..... unfortunately i can't bring it in til wednesday because of work. vw has a "case" open to see what they want to to do. i figured i'll just check the seal later on today. if it works it works if not, then i'll request a new fog, if that doesn't happen. i'll buy another car, and give this one back to them....YES....i just said that.

HaveBulldogWillTravel

Ready to race!
I have 12500 miles on my 2011. Took it to the dealer and the warranty guy said lights aren't covered over 12k. He said "the lights are porous so they can breathe". I asked him why the other has not fogged up.
Bumper to bumper, 36K. Tell them to replace the fog-light or do whatever they have to do to get the condensation out and KEEP it out or your next call wil be to VWoA.
And just to rub some salt in it, ask him to point out exactly where in the warranty does it say that foglights and respective housing, wiring, etc. are only covered for 12K...cuz I'd like to know.

ohsnapzombies

Ready to race!
Bumper to bumper, 36K. Tell them to replace the fog-light or do whatever they have to do to get the condensation out and KEEP it out or your next call wil be to VWoA.
And just to rub some salt in it, ask him to point out exactly where in the warranty does it say that foglights and respective housing, wiring, etc. are only covered for 12K...cuz I'd like to know.

i'll have to wait til wednesday. after the guy got smart with me on the phone i called VWoA and they set up a case #.

obleedo

Ready to race!
Ahaha your kidding right? I pay for my warrenty. its not donated by other drivers, its in MY loan. Very far from fraud. You werent the one who fixed my fogs were you? If so, Thanks!

obleedo

Ready to race!
I hate to rain on your parade and inturrupt your obvious rant but... I could care less how you feel, this happened in August and my fog lights are working properly, its now February and you should be focussing on current subjects such as whitney houston or jeremy lin hahaha.

dinkdinker

Ready to race!

The bulbs themselves won't be covered but the housing will.