GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD blows white smoke occasionally

TI KUFF

*SOLVED* GTD blows white smoke occasionally

I have a 2011 GTD which is DSG on 120k miles.
Since I've had it (11 months), it's been blowing white smoke every now & then.

It drives perfectly fine, no limp mode, misfire, stalling and etc pulls really well in all gears.
At first I thought it may be the headgasket or even the turbo, but after doing abit of research it doesn't have any of the symptoms that a blown headgasket or turbo would have.

It smokes maybe about once a week, it happens to smoke more after I've driven it hard.
Sometimes while the car is blowing smoke, the DPF light comes on for a few hours and then goes away.
Sometimes I can smell something chemically while the car is smoking, I don't know what it is but it does smell.

I got the car scanned for any faults and it found 2 faults:
Oxygen (lambda) sensor B1 S1 signal too high (Rich)
Throttle position sensor (G69) Implausible signal

Anybody have any idea whats causing the white smoke? Is it a faulty sensor that may need replacing?
Quite embarrassing when it does smoke lol

Last edited:

muratferati

My TDI was doing that ocassionally. Than i remapped it and got rid of DPF. 150k kms no problem no smoke at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TI KUFF

*UPDATE
I have fixed the problem. DPF light was caused by a faulty lambda sensor, new lambda sensor fitted in 5 months ago and DPF light never to be seen again.

For the white smoke, it was a faulty throttle body. New throttle body white smoke and loss of coolant solved.