GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
Cal2000
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 13' GTI 4DR AUTOBAHN
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 413
Cast Aluminum Water Pump Kit from USP

Has anyone used it? Looks pretty promising.

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/06H-1...keep_https=yes

Last edited by Cal2000; 09-10-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Cal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:27 AM   #2
Stock-GTI
Rally Car Newbie
 
Stock-GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 274
Any updates on this? Anyone try it. Pretty sure my water pump is shot or something in the coolant system.

Coolant leaked over time, noticed spots on driveway this weekend. Got to school this morning it was maybe a half inch from the bottom of reservoir. 4 hours later it was all out. Had to baby it to nearby vw shop for a top up.

Going to get it checked out friday. Guessing they are going to say water pump.

Get a acrid burning smell after heavy throttle. Also loud whistling noise under throttle, that I think my be the water pump or its belt.
__________________
13 MK6 GTI CW DSG | Stratified | Integrated Engineering | Cobb | GFB | ARM | Forge | GruvenParts | Fluidampr | Neuspeed | TyrolSport | ECS Tuning |
Stock-GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
TheRickestRick
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2012 GTI
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock-GTI View Post
Any updates on this? Anyone try it. Pretty sure my water pump is shot or something in the coolant system.

Coolant leaked over time, noticed spots on driveway this weekend. Got to school this morning it was maybe a half inch from the bottom of reservoir. 4 hours later it was all out. Had to baby it to nearby vw shop for a top up.

Going to get it checked out friday. Guessing they are going to say water pump.

Get a acrid burning smell after heavy throttle. Also loud whistling noise under throttle, that I think my be the water pump or its belt.
I've looked into it. Actually have an inquiry into USP right now. It looks like this may only be for CCTA engines. The CBFA ones have an electrical connection on the inlet of the water pump. The CCTA does not. From the photos on their site, it appears that USP's pump lacks the requisite connection that CBFA engines have. So, if you have a CCTA, you're in luck and I'd probably go for it.

If you have a CBFA, I would wait. Their design team is looking into it for me. I'll post their reply when I receive one.
TheRickestRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
Tony48
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Tony48's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRickestRick View Post
I've looked into it. Actually have an inquiry into USP right now. It looks like this may only be for CCTA engines. The CBFA ones have an electrical connection on the inlet of the water pump. The CCTA does not. From the photos on their site, it appears that USP's pump lacks the requisite connection that CBFA engines have. So, if you have a CCTA, you're in luck and I'd probably go for it.

If you have a CBFA, I would wait. Their design team is looking into it for me. I'll post their reply when I receive one.
In for info
__________________
| 2011 GTI, 6speed, 4dr | Build Thread| Timing Chain Replacement Tips | DIY RSR Clutch & RMS Replacement Tips|
Tony48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
dbizzle22
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,963
Nice. Lifetime warranty for the original buyer also.
dbizzle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Stock-GTI
Rally Car Newbie
 
Stock-GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRickestRick View Post
I've looked into it. Actually have an inquiry into USP right now. It looks like this may only be for CCTA engines. The CBFA ones have an electrical connection on the inlet of the water pump. The CCTA does not. From the photos on their site, it appears that USP's pump lacks the requisite connection that CBFA engines have. So, if you have a CCTA, you're in luck and I'd probably go for it.

If you have a CBFA, I would wait. Their design team is looking into it for me. I'll post their reply when I receive one.
Thanks for the update. I'm CCTA. I'll keep this in mind, looks like my pump might be ok for now.
__________________
13 MK6 GTI CW DSG | Stratified | Integrated Engineering | Cobb | GFB | ARM | Forge | GruvenParts | Fluidampr | Neuspeed | TyrolSport | ECS Tuning |
Stock-GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
Stock-GTI
Rally Car Newbie
 
Stock-GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbizzle22 View Post
Nice. Lifetime warranty for the original buyer also.
That's one of the main reasons I'm interested. I'm at 76k mi hopefully mine isn't shot but I want a good replacement option.
__________________
13 MK6 GTI CW DSG | Stratified | Integrated Engineering | Cobb | GFB | ARM | Forge | GruvenParts | Fluidampr | Neuspeed | TyrolSport | ECS Tuning |
Stock-GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
Cal2000
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 13' GTI 4DR AUTOBAHN
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock-GTI View Post
That's one of the main reasons I'm interested. I'm at 76k mi hopefully mine isn't shot but I want a good replacement option.
Agreed. It may be a good bullet proof option for those who want to keep their MK6s for a long time. Im one of them!
Cal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver
 
zrickety's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 153k+
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Qanon.pub
Posts: 5,275
I'm in for info. It's a good looking part at a fair price. But if the failures are from oil leaking on the gasket as others have said, this wouldn't make a difference. Not sure I believe that though, the o-ring material is oil safe to my knowledge.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
He's a real straight shooter, no monkey business, and the wheel swap at the Kohl's parking lot was quick and easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #10
TheRickestRick
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2012 GTI
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
In for info

I never heard back from them regarding CBFA engines. However, from the photos on their site, I cannot see where they would have a connector for the additional temperature gauge. If I had a CCTA engine, I would jump on this in a heartbeat and never worry about the waterpump again.
TheRickestRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:57 AM   #11
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver
 
HYDE16's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 MK6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Posts: 6,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRickestRick View Post
I never heard back from them regarding CBFA engines. However, from the photos on their site, I cannot see where they would have a connector for the additional temperature gauge. If I had a CCTA engine, I would jump on this in a heartbeat and never worry about the waterpump again.
CCTA here and I'm all over this but they are not going to be in stock until after Feb 4th
__________________
Pag Parts EFR Turbo Thread: HYDE16 - The Pag Parts EFR Turbo Kit
Build Thread: HYDE16 - Project Jekyll & Hyde Build Thread
Facebook: Ryan Jacobs
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.