GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #1191
FlowMK6
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Golf 2.5 6speed MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
An AC Guy told me not to leave it this way, this AM I vacuumed and filled with 32 oz of R134 (by weight). The system held vacuum like a champ, it's 45 F outside so I'm confident it be fine when I go south this winter.
Testing AC system with the vacuum can sometimes be misleading if it only leaks under pressure, I personally prefer to fill the system with nitrogen at 150psi, after 15mins, if the pressure haven't drop, it means it's safe and I can fill the system. Even if it leaks, nitrogen isn't bad

From what I seems to understand, the halocarbon regulations are less strict in Ontario, here in Quebec, you couldn't have serviced your AC without card
FlowMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:42 AM   #1192
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Installed a Spullen dogbone mount with street insert today. Like the smoother shifting, hate the vibration. Vibration + SRI at idle is loud as hell. While driving sound and vibration are no different but at idle I am not a fan. I'll see if it gets better after a bit.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 11-11-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Wascally Wabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #1193
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
Installed a Spullen dogbone mount with street insert today. Like the smoother shifting, hate the vibration. Vibration + SRI at idle is loud as hell. While driving sound and vibration are no different but at idle I am not a fan. I'll see if it gets better after a bit. We'll see.
If you had put the TDI Exhaust on the Golf, then that accounts for the LOUD. The Mid-Muffler (Stomach) on the 2.5 exhaust is actually the main muffler on the 2.5.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #1194
Wascally Wabbit

I was actually going to go the GTI exhaust route but changed my mind. Gonna take the old golf out today for a cruise and see if this mount rattles the teeth outa my skull.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #1195
Wascally Wabbit

Cleaned the MAP sensor today. Was pretty dirty. VW should add this into the 30/60/90 services. Curious why they didn't put the sensor on top of the intake manifold as it would stay cleaner.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 11-12-2018 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:42 AM   #1196
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Cleaned the MAP sensor today. Was pretty dirty. VW should add this into the 30/60/90 services. Curious why they didn't put the sensor on top of the intake manifold as it would stay cleaner.
Looks I guess, and maybe the length of the sensor connector wire. With a Catch can it shouldn't get dirty.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #1197
Wascally Wabbit

If you route the can back to the intake you still get some oil vapor coming through and the throttle body flap acts as a condensor so oil collects on it and eventually makes its way to the hole where the sensor sits. Thats's why I chose to vent the can to atm again. I just don't use a filter on the can anymore as the filter gets clogged with oil and there is really no need for it. I get zero oil spray in the engine bay with no filter. Works great this way.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #1198
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
If you route the can back to the intake you still get some oil vapor coming through and the throttle body flap acts as a condensor so oil collects on it and eventually makes its way to the hole where the sensor sits. Thats's why I chose to vent the can to atm again. I just don't use a filter on the can anymore as the filter gets clogged with oil and there is really no need for it. I get zero oil spray in the engine bay with no filter. Works great this way.
A bit counter to what is expected but you seem to have a good grasp of your setup.

In the past when I've "played with" the 2.5 IMs but always left or reattached the connection back to the PCV.

I can rule myself out of the catch can discussion, I never really saw it as being very bad and oily. Then again, I never gave it chance to see if it would get dirty, each time I remove the IM, I just took a couple of minutes to pour some gas into it and washout the oil, pushed some rags or paper into the runners and wiped them clean by pulling them out with a needle nosed pliers,... good enough for me. BUT then again I don't have a "Nice Piece" like an IE SRI

Last edited by MLue1; 11-12-2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: "
Old 11-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #1199
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

... On Friday did the final eTest on the Golf, even with the Ontario Emissions Program ending in April 2019 they are still tight A$$ed as hell.

I went and talked to them before the eTest, to see what was expected; I removed the CAI reinstalled the Original stuff back to stock so it would pass the visual test part of the test, ... no problem passing even with the Integrated Engineering 2.5 Stage2 Tune installed with the stock intake. OBD Testing is a joke .... Good Riddance.

PS. I didn't even have an air filter in the engine cover when I did the test. Only took a few minutes to remove the 4 screws and pull the engine cover off and reinstalled my CAI. Easy Peasy

Last edited by MLue1; 11-12-2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: no problem passing
Old 11-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #1200
Wascally Wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
A bit counter to what is expected but you seem to have a good grasp of your setup.

In the past when I've "played with" the 2.5 IMs but always left or reattached the connection back to the PCV.

I can rule myself out of the catch can discussion, I never really saw it as being very bad and oily. Then again, I never gave it chance to see if it would get dirty, each time I remove the IM, I just took a couple of minutes to pour some gas into it and washout the oil, pushed some rags or paper into the runners and wiped them clean by pulling them out with a needle nosed pliers,... good enough for me. BUT then again I don't have a "Nice Piece" like an IE SRI
Do you still run the PCV? That's where it makes a huge difference. With the IE valve cover especially as the opening is much bigger so there's way more vapor running through all the time not just when your on the gas. I was losing about a quart every 2k miles and that was going straight into the intake as vapor.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #1201
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Do you still run the PCV? That's where it makes a huge difference. With the IE valve cover especially as the opening is much bigger so there's way more vapor running through all the time not just when your on the gas. I was losing about a quart every 2k miles and that was going straight into the intake as vapor.
Yes I still use PCV, I found the Catch Can a pain, so no more.

When I was making my Home Depot Catch Can, I read this Article.

This Article is similar to your setup.

Last edited by MLue1; 11-12-2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 11-17-2018, 02:51 AM   #1202
KanyesChest
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 Amaryllis Red 2.5L
Just an FYI, all those who were looking for the Advanced Auto Parts LEDs that MLue recommends, H15 and H7 are back in stock on Amazon.

Link
KanyesChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:55 AM   #1203
FlowMK6
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Golf 2.5 6speed MT
Quote:
Installed a Spullen dogbone mount with street insert today. Like the smoother shifting, hate the vibration. Vibration + SRI at idle is loud as hell. While driving sound and vibration are no different but at idle I am not a fan. I'll see if it gets better after a bit.

It won't get better, it will probably get worst, I have been driving with it for about a year, maybe more and removed it a month ago because the vibration got so bad people would get annoyed and I couldn't endure it anymore, put back a brand new OEM one with hardware and I'm so happy to don't have it anymore. If I would have to go back, I would get the 034Motorsport, better design
FlowMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:20 AM   #1204
Wascally Wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowMK6 View Post
It won't get better, it will probably get worst, I have been driving with it for about a year, maybe more and removed it a month ago because the vibration got so bad people would get annoyed and I couldn't endure it anymore, put back a brand new OEM one with hardware and I'm so happy to don't have it anymore. If I would have to go back, I would get the 034Motorsport, better design
Ya, it actually has mellowed after a bit of driving buy I still hate it. I actually ordered the 034 insert and was going to swap the insert out and leave the spullen dogbone on and see how that feels. I had heard the 034 insert is way less NVH when compared to the poly insert but heard the dogbone should be upgraded for fear of it breaking. There is no way in hell I am leaving it the way it is. It's not worth dropping $230 on the 034 dogbone as it is very similar in design to the spullen. Basically the same thing but with a bearing instead of a bushing. If it's still bad I'll go back to stock and give the mount to my buddy. I have a dieselgeek short shifter on the way as well.

Edit: I hadn't realized that the billet mounts and the poly mounts don't operate on the same principles so I thought the billet mount would be much harsher than the poly mount when in fact it is the opposite.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red..._polyurethane/

Here is a good write up on it.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 11-18-2018 at 03:21 PM.