GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 04-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #15
MK6BRO
Autocross Newbie

Drives: gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by corman1313 View Post
Oh yes a tune is a must to have a chance against even a WRX. I own both cars and they deliver power much differently, I will say that the GTI wants to take off much quicker with more torque where as the WRX is a lot more linear power with a larger turbo that helps out up top. I would think that a GTI will pull away in the lower RPM's and the Subie could pull it in with the top end if evenly matched. People are afraid to go against AWD from a dig but I think it comes down to suspension mods and driver. I've never launched my WRX because of the weaker tranny but I have been in a couple STI's and they could leave your neck hurting if you weren't ready for it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Interesting, I had an 05' WRX and felt like a slug at low speeds but felt pretty quick up top. I edged out my buddy's 328i a couple times up top which sort of surprised me as he had the bigger motor. The GTI feels like the total opposite of the WRX, thanks for the insight.
MK6BRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #16
corman1313
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 13 CW GTI DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK6BRO View Post
Interesting, I had an 05' WRX and felt like a slug at low speeds but felt pretty quick up top. I edged out my buddy's 328i a couple times up top which sort of surprised me as he had the bigger motor. The GTI feels like the total opposite of the WRX, thanks for the insight.
Was your WRX Protuned?

corman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #17
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
My buddy has an 09 WRX hatch. Stage 1 cobbed. Honestly, once it's rolling and he would floor it, it didn't feel much faster than my apr stg1 old file gti. When he would accelerate from a dig sure it felt strong with the AWD assist, however once he reached around 40-50mph, it didn't feel anything special than what I would feel in my stg1 gti.
Yeah...looking forward to Stage 2 updated APR next week. Nearly 350lbs torque, here I cum!
Internal : APR Stage 2+ tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - IE K04 - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #18
MK6BRO
Autocross Newbie

Drives: gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by corman1313 View Post
Was your WRX Protuned?

Nah it was Cobb stg 1 for a very short time period before I traded it in.
MK6BRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #19
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
Thats not surprising. Stage 1+ APR mk6 beats the new 2016 WRX stage 1 cobb. They are pretty slow and the cobb OTS tunes are way to conservative. But a stage 1 protuned wrx will roll on us all day.
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:04 AM   #20
iAhhMaze
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Tornado Red GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans GTI View Post
Thats not surprising. Stage 1+ APR mk6 beats the new 2016 WRX stage 1 cobb. They are pretty slow and the cobb OTS tunes are way to conservative. But a stage 1 protuned wrx will roll on us all day.

Exactly what i was going to say. The new 2.0t WRX will be a monster just wait. Unlike the STI which is still runing the same old 2.5T. Both have just about the same 0-60 times
2010 Tornado Red Unitronic Downpipe Unitronic Catback H&R Super Sports R8 Ignition Coils Unitronic Intake Unitronic Stage II GFB DV+ NSP Boost Gauge 20% Tint Neuspeed TBP Spulen TOP Shaved Front Bumper GSP Intercooler
iAhhMaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #21
SELA_MK6GTI
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives:
I've beaten a wrx hatch completely stock and the driver even took off first than me on a roll and I caught up and passed him . Was at about half a car before we had to slow down. I was as surprised as the driver was, his neck definitely broke along with his jaw dropped as I passed him lol
SELA_MK6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #22
mexicanwaldo
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 Mk6 GTI United Gray (DSG)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SELA_MK6GTI View Post
I've beaten a wrx hatch completely stock and the driver even took off first than me on a roll and I caught up and passed him . Was at about half a car before we had to slow down. I was as surprised as the driver was, his neck definitely broke along with his jaw dropped as I passed him lol

I did the same except it was an STI hatch with an exhaust and suspension. From how bad I beat him I doubt he was tuned.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #23
SELA_MK6GTI
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanwaldo View Post
I did the same except it was an STI hatch with an exhaust and suspension. From how bad I beat him I doubt he was tuned.

I meant that I was completely stock and beat the wrx hatch
SELA_MK6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #24
mexicanwaldo
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELA_MK6GTI View Post
I meant that I was completely stock and beat the wrx hatch

Oh I thought you meant he was stock lol
Old 05-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #25
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
13 Stage 2 Uni DSG vs 16 Stage 1 WRX

Was on the highway over the weekend and had a new body style sti behind me. I was in the far left lane and he moved over a lane to pass me on the right... As he started, I downshifted into 5th and punched it... He couldn't pass me... Poor guy, he had his girl with him too. It looked and sounded stock. CSB
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+,SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails, New Tensioner.
Soon to Come: Tints, R Bumper, Headlights, Pendulum Mount, Rear sway
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #26
mexicanwaldo
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGti1990 View Post
Was on the highway over the weekend and had a new body style sti behind me. I was in the far left lane and he moved over a lane to pass me on the right... As he started, I downshifted into 5th and punched it... He couldn't pass me... Poor guy, he had his girl with him too. It looked and sounded stock. CSB

Wow is it really that much drivetrain loss on those? It's incredible.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #27
ketchupfreak
Oval Champion

Drives: 13 GTI DSG
Raced my friend again 4 times last night. He now has a full turboback catless exhaust and stage 2 ots cobb map. We did 2 rolls from 1st gear around 10-15 mph and I slowly pulled in 1st and 2nd gear. Once I hit 3rd gear, I jumped 1-1.5 cars and didn't look back. From a launch he had an advantage as we were on a road that had some small rocks and dirt. I didn't use LC and he gained a car on launch but I reeled him in in 3rd gear. Overall, I'm still not impressed with this generation WRX. I think they really need to get a protune or even bigger turbo to really open up their performance.
ketchupfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #28
CleanAsFckMk6
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2013 Mk6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchupfreak View Post
Raced my friend again 4 times last night. He now has a full turboback catless exhaust and stage 2 ots cobb map. We did 2 rolls from 1st gear around 10-15 mph and I slowly pulled in 1st and 2nd gear. Once I hit 3rd gear, I jumped 1-1.5 cars and didn't look back. From a launch he had an advantage as we were on a road that had some small rocks and dirt. I didn't use LC and he gained a car on launch but I reeled him in in 3rd gear. Overall, I'm still not impressed with this generation WRX. I think they really need to get a protune or even bigger turbo to really open up their performance.
This is pretty much my exact experience as well.
Raced a '16 Stage II WRX this weekend twice from a roll and one launched.
He said he had Stage II cobb, and he had an exhaust, but not sure if he had anything else.
My gti is Eurodyne Stage II, Intake, TBE, Full Mount kit, RSR Clutch, h&r coilovers, etc.
Dynod a few weekends ago at 285hp/340tq for reference.

Both roll races started at 20-25 mph, 2nd gear. Quickly got about a car length on him by top of 2nd gear. 3rd & 4th easily pulled away. Both races I had about 3 car lengths on him.
Only did 1 launch race but similar result. He jumped out on me off the line with the awd, but caught him in 3rd gear and slowly walked away in 4th. Beat him by a little under a car length.

I wasn't impressed with the WRX either
Mk6 CW Gti - Eurodyne StageII - RSR Clutch Kit - Ultimate Racing TBE - Injen CAI - H&R UltraLows - UR RSB - Rotiform IND-Ts - DieselGeek SS - Eurojet Motor/Trans/Pendulum Mounts - Dark Cherry LED Tails - TDi Front Grill - RNS510 - TT-RS Brake Kit (Not yet Installed)
Looking for VCDS Coding? PM Me
CleanAsFckMk6 is offline   Reply With Quote