GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 2+ (KO4) - How Unitronic Fixed My Ongoing Issues

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
Glad to heard your problems are seemingly solved as of now Paul.

And i have to agree, who cares about what tuner wars are out there. You, the customer has had a long (and expensive) problem fixed and that's all that matters.

So props to your previous tuner for working with you on the logs and Props to Uni for helping you out and being up front and solving your issue.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Glad to heard your problems are seemingly solved as of now Paul.

And i have to agree, who cares about what tuner wars are out there. You, the customer has had a long (and expensive) problem fixed and that's all that matters.

So props to your previous tuner for working with you on the logs and Props to Uni for helping you out and being up front and solving your issue.

thx bro. agreed 100%

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
Glad you figured out the problems and flash to Unitronic Tune!

Unitronic FTW!! Gotta love my Uni Stage 2 Tune! Never looked back at APR Stg 2.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
I had a chance to start out with Unitronic, and didn't take it because I was too new to the VW scene (came out of tuned Japanese cars that we can self-tune), and didn't really understand the bench flashing process and the labor costs associated with it from the local dealership network. My car was untouched at the time, and the ECU had to come out. Also, my local Unitronic dealer was waiting on a special flash tool that was unavailable, so they couldn't flash me right then anyway.

I've been ok with APR at Stage 1, but I have thought about going to Stage 2, and it looks like passing emissions with APR will be tricky. The Unitronic DP looks great, and if I ever built the car up to K04, Unitronic is probably the only way I'd want to fly.

I admit the allure of map switching is nice, but I've found the VW service center to be mod friendly, and if I had it to do over again, I might change my course.

This isn't to say anything bad against APR at Stage 1 levels, but to affirm the OP and say that Unitronic seems to be a very solid choice. John was super patient with me and answered all my questions when I was looking. The only reason I haven't changed is that I've already invested $600 in a loaded ECU, and would hate to pay it again.

Enjoy your car, Allset! I hope you stay trouble free and have lots of fun boost filled miles.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Yeah it's a bummer to buy software twice. I recently did the same thing. I had good days and bad days. Good logs and bad logs. I always over boosted, and pulled timing more often than not. My issues were nowhere near what Paul had going on though. Main reason I was debating switching to UNI was the willingness to tune me for my Aquamist HFS-4. The reason I pulled the trigger was the customer service and attention I received from UNI.

BTW, I run more timing now and pull none of it. I'm not even tuned for the meth yet.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Allset,

I'm glad to see your car is running as you see fit, and I do hope the problems do not come back over time as you were seeing before.

On your exact ECU box code, we've flashed APR software to 819 unique vin numbers (Unique Vehicles). You've described fueling problems and vanishing power, which are not shared by our large sample group. I've also searched my inbox and was unable to find any useful datalogs pinpointing what the problem was.

As we've said in the past, we were more than happy to look over the car, in house, and figure out what was wrong. At any rate, it appears you're happy. I wish we had a chance to get to the bottom of it. Please let me know if it returns.

-Arin

trd420

Go Kart Champion
Welcome to the Unitronic K04 Club!! It's only been a few weeks for me but I'm loving it :thumbsup:

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
Great news, Paul! I bet you're super happy now! It was crazy to hear about the issues that you've fought with for so long and that they've subsided completely after switching! It has been my pleasure to assist you! Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Now that I am "gone" and no longer even have a VW... I was offered Unitronic software basically free a long long time ago. I didnt take it. Now I wonder if my K04 experience would have been any different if I had. John is one of the best vendors here, hands down. Even when i railed shit after shit on him about product delays and stuff i was waiting to test, he never even once talked back to me or fought back. I couldnt believe how respectful he stayed no matter how annoyed I got with him. So bottom line, he is a top top vendor/person here, and was always willing to work with anything i needed, whether or not i accepted. I wish their intake had come out 2 months ago, because that was going to be my final GTI product review. Didn't work out..

allset

Go Kart Champion
i should mention, in fairness, an offer was made for in house review during my P0088 problems but due to the distance between NY and AL it was just impossible.

Knight

Ready to race!
hmm, Did Unitronic fixed your issue by you driving in house or remotely ?

i should mention, in fairness, an offer was made for in house review during my P0088 problems but due to the distance between NY and AL it was just impossible.

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
I should have switched when I had the chance... I am hearing nothing but positive reviews with the Unitronic Stage 2+ software.

I would love to see back to back dyno runs with the same vehicle to compare software!

If someone wants to provide the software I will provide the independent dyno runs and vehicle ;)