GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY DSG Fluid change tips and tricks

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
DSG Fluid change DIY:

1) Not hard at all so stop freaking out and do it.
2) Having the right tools is key, 14mm allen (freaking huge specialty allen), 8mm allen for special DSG plastic plug thing, 24mm (I think) for top of DSG filter housing (could always use a wrench), and random other tools for battery removal
3) I used a bucket to drain the fluid as it was only a few inches from the drain to ensure I didn't miss any (wanted to measure how much came out)
4) I bought a bucket with markings on the inside for liters.. I suppose you could measure it out with water or something and mark it up yourself.
5) Battery removal is a piece of cake, remove the tray too.
6) Walmart has the funnel with hose you need <$5: http://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-Measu-Funnel-7pc/16889147
7) Drain fluid from 14mm drain plug, then drain fluid from 8mm hex plastic drain inside other drain (watch lasthumansgarage DIY youtube video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhE19GCXlvA
8) Put drain plugs back in (DO NOT overtighten the inner plastic one - it's very fragile!)
9) Remove DSG filter and plug in funnel hose
10) Measure how much fluid came out and replace with fresh DSG fluid (takes forever.. 8-10mins/liter its so thick through the top fill method)
11) Drink 1-2 beers while you wait (I changed out my sparks and fuel filter while I was waiting, haha)
12) Reinstall filter housing with fresh gasket
13) Reinstall battery
14) Fire her up and shift through all the gears stationary to lube them all up real nice
15) Test drive (pending how many beers it took to get you through the refill)

This was seriously not a hard DIY. I did mine about 1.5 hours after GTI was hot and the fluid was nice and warm and came out just fine. 4.65L came out and I put back in about 4.7 to account for the fluid left in the filter. I did the measure/refill method as its run great for 40k miles, and I trust that is was filled properly from the factory.

Cliff notes: Remove, replace, beer, done.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I would second the measuring how much fluid came out when you drained it. I didn't do this and I kind of guessed on when to cap off excess fluid coming out (top fill method).

I want to put the car on 4 jack stands, bring car up to temp, and remove the drain plug to see what excess comes out. I think there is a little too much in there.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I bought the filter and OEM fluid off a vortex member for $130 I think. Came with filter and gasket and washer. made for an easy install! Got 6 bottles too, which I didn't need at all.

Jet08

Ready to race!
I would be interested to know from people that have done the top fill/measure/refill method how much oil was drained, I believe it is around 4.7 litres +or- 0.2 litres.
I did mine on the weekend and was surprised how much oil drained before I removed the plastic snorkel but very surprised it was exactly 6 litres in total drained. I put 5 litres back in and the DSG feels a lot better. Dam you VW dealer and your apprentice newbs.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
wow you measured 6L coming out? That seems like an awful lot!

If you only put back in 5 out of 6L drained did you pull the drain and let the excess run out at the correct temp via vagcom? I'd be very leery to just put in 1L less without checking.

Jet08

Ready to race!
Yes I drove it until the DSG was warmed up then removed the 14mm hex plug and it trickled about 0.1 litres with the snorkle still in, I honestly believe that around 4.7 litres is the required volumn allowing for casting variance. My theory is the dealer put in the 6 litres but did not do the overflow with the engine running. at the end of the day the car feels like it has a DSG tune compared to how it was, I remember at the time I thought that they had flashed over my stage 1 tune it just felt heavier after the 60K kilometre / 40k mile service.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
How did it feel before? I think I may not have drained enough excess fluid from the trans.

Only odd thing I noticed is that at a red light with the AC on, I now feel more vibration and feel the car resting on the trans whereas before, I didn't.

Uberryan

Banned
What DIY did you follow, OP? I dig the tips and tricks, but this isn't exactly a DIY.

zrickety

The Fixer
As I recall, the plastic drain plug insert is the level to fill. It's easier than you guys make it out to be. Whether you measure or not, it will start to come out and then stabilize at that level. If it's in the ballpark it's probably fine.