GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel smell after fuel pump install

Jfabre23

Hey guys I have a 2012 gti 6spd manual. I recently changed my in tank fuel pump about a week ago... and I’ve been experiencing a strong gas smell after pumping gas in my car and the car is running fine.. there’s no rough idling or anything.. so I’m pretty lost on this.. just wondering if anyone knows what I could possibly do to get rid of the smell or anything?

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
When you replaced the in tank pump, did you also use a new rubber gasket or did you re-use the old one? Because if you used the old one, that's most likely the culprit. Either that, or you didn't seat the new one properly.

I had this happen to me too; my new pump arrived but the gasket got lost in shipping. I ordered a new one but used the old one in the meantime and it never sealed well...I smelled gas all the time until the new gasket came and I put it in.

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
Hey guys I have a 2012 gti 6spd manual. I recently changed my in tank fuel pump about a week ago... and I’ve been experiencing a strong gas smell after pumping gas in my car and the car is running fine.. there’s no rough idling or anything.. so I’m pretty lost on this.. just wondering if anyone knows what I could possibly do to get rid of the smell or anything?

why did you have to replace the intank fuel pump on a 2012 car??? did it throw any CODES??

i have a 2010 and still on my original pump....also original water pump.....and now that i SAID it....well let's hope nothnig happens....LOL

Hedgehodge

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm curious on this, I replaced my fuel pump lpfp and new gasket and drive and rechecked , no fuel leaks with half a tank but today after driving (also did HPFP and cam follower) my gas light came on..... Sure it could be that... Ordered one but if not I guess it's the seal?

My question, if you remove the plastic cap do you guys get fine smells when your face is right above the fuel pump? I don't smell it with the black plastic cap since it has that small rubber seal on that, but once I remove it I smell fumes...is this normal? Assuming it is because of the seal on the black plastic cap