GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Skipped Gears

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
I thought the DSG's had an extended 10 year 100k mile warranty?

My car skipped gears if I red lined it then clicked a gear at the same time. I had the DSG flashed and had the automatic upshift removed. Have not had an issue since. I would first look into whether the DSG is still under warranty, and if not, to invest in a good quality DSG tune. I've had a few different ones and I like APR's the best. It really transforms the transmission in a positive way.
On my dsg tune I had the auto upshift turned off to but as soon as I would hit 7100... if I didn't shift right then my car would throw a hissy fit and cut off all power. So I had auto shifts turned back on cause it was pointless to have it turned off if I couldn't ride on the redline for a few secs.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Different issue than OP but I know the audible click/clack sound when coming to a stop with the DSG is pretty common but mines been getting louder and louder past 6 months. Anyone experiencing this as well? Still drives like a dream though

I know the sound you mean! Doing the basic settings with VCDS usually stops it, make sure your transmission fluid is not due a change as well, can’t remember the intervals though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
I know the sound you mean! Doing the basic settings with VCDS usually stops it, make sure your transmission fluid is not due a change as well, can’t remember the intervals though!

Normally its every 40k you change the dsg fluid

Uberryan

Banned
The clicking is normal to some extent, but louder and more frequent likely indicates a dried up solenoid on the mech unit. I honestly hope/expect a recall here on these as the cars age, this seems to be a more common problem. Unfortunately, VAG takes their sweet fucking time issuing them.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Rare? Hah... I dunno about that. When I took my car in to have it checked out at the dealer, they were about ready to warranty my out of warranty DSG along with a CC and another GTI for the mech unit. All 2011 or recent. They found out my warranty had lapsed and gave me an estimate of $2200.

It might be rare to you, but check out the complaints for the NHTSA site on this model. Tons of problems with DSG false neutrals.

I have yet to rectify my issue, and I've flushed the fluid twice, level is perfect, reset has been done. Nothing left but the mech unit which is likely failing much like the MKVs and the MK7s. I'm praying for a recall or a better job opp so I can ditch this car as it's a money pit for repairs at this point.

I very rarely here about DSG failures on this forum or others. I have heard allot of failures of DSG's just not the ones specific to our market.

Sure it happens. I am sure it does, but to say its "Common" I would have to disagree with you on that one. At least in the MK6 GTI USA market case.

Jeff

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion

Ive changed fluid twice and probably done like 10 DSG resets. The reset helps a little at first but eventually it comes back

zrickety

The Fixer
I drive exclusively in manual mode...you say the car was up to date, but do you know that they did the fluid at 40k? The level could be low. Your mileage I would go ahead and do a full change, try a couple quarts of Motul DCTF mixed with the OEM fluid. At the same time, the battery should be out and you can let it relearn settings with some fresh fluid. Always try the easy things first. After that I would suspect your shifter...

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I drive exclusively in manual mode...you say the car was up to date, but do you know that they did the fluid at 40k? The level could be low. Your mileage I would go ahead and do a full change, try a couple quarts of Motul DCTF mixed with the OEM fluid. At the same time, the battery should be out and you can let it relearn settings with some fresh fluid. Always try the easy things first. After that I would suspect your shifter...

Great idea...

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I very rarely here about DSG failures on this forum or others. I have heard allot of failures of DSG's just not the ones specific to our market.

Sure it happens. I am sure it does, but to say its "Common" I would have to disagree with you on that one. At least in the MK6 GTI USA market case.

Jeff
The mechatronics unit does fail. Failed enough the humble mechanic on YouTube thought to do a video about it.

Edit: nevermind this is for a different dsg. Anyways I think my statement still holds water as if the dsg will fail it will likely be the mechatronics unit. I haven't had any issues with mine.

https://youtu.be/8BbjLT3yQ-8

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The mechatronics unit does fail. Failed enough the humble mechanic on YouTube thought to do a video about it.

Edit: nevermind this is for a different dsg. Anyways I think my statement still holds water as if the dsg will fail it will likely be the mechatronics unit. I haven't had any issues with mine.

https://youtu.be/8BbjLT3yQ-8

Never said that they "Never" fail. Nothing is perfect. but here in the USA with the DSG in our MK6's its not as common as in other platforms or other markets. Do failures happen. YES. Is it as common as lets say, the Intake Manifold Issue? HPFP issues? Water Pump Issue? Stuff like that?? No.

There are guys here with DSG issues, "Some" but there are more guys on these forums with 100k+ miles with DSG's with NO ISSUES.

So its a crap shoot, like everything else with VW.

Jeff

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Never said that they "Never" fail. Nothing is perfect. but here in the USA with the DSG in our MK6's its not as common as in other platforms or other markets. Do failures happen. YES. Is it as common as lets say, the Intake Manifold Issue? HPFP issues? Water Pump Issue? Stuff like that?? No.

There are guys here with DSG issues, "Some" but there are more guys on these forums with 100k+ miles with DSG's with NO ISSUES.

So its a crap shoot, like everything else with VW.

Jeff
Granted if my car never broke down I'd prolly never have gotten into cars. Let those dice roll. I'm really hoping my intake manifold dies before my extended warranty.