GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Right now no intercooler. The water/meth injection works wonders!

Anyways, I am piecing together an air-water intercooler to go in that big open space. That will be my project for next spring. I haven’t seen it done yet on a 2.5 so thought I’d have a go at it.

That was always the plan, just taking it one step at a time. It’s better for the wallet, but neat to see and feel the change with every incremental improvement.

The only thing not custom about the turbo setup is the C2 turbo manifold and PTE5431e turbo from the kit.

I actually have the entire C2 intercooler and charge piping sitting around if anybody wants to buy it off me. Brand new, never used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much HP you pushing with the turbo? How much is it anyway to put a turbo into our 2.5's

mjb8482

How much HP you pushing with the turbo? How much is it anyway to put a turbo into our 2.5's

At 6 psi it is around 240whp. When I turn it up to 10 it will be about 280whp to 300whp. That’s just my guess.

To do it right you are looking at around $7k.

This is my second 2.5T build. I may have a problem. [emoji1]

mjb8482

7K huh. Im guessing thats in USD. Prob like 10K Canadian lol dam thats alot

Yeah. In USD it is still a lot. Financially it makes no sense. Best buy a GTI and get an APR tune or a used Golf R.

It’s more about the build process and having something different and unique.

And the smoothness and sound of a 2.5T is addicting.

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Ya Im looking at getting a new car in a year or so. either a mk7 GTI or a WRX. (if its a GTI i want the one with the new headlights) still lots of time to decide. wouldnt mind keeping my golf for a daily back and forth to work since its about 750Km a week.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Our engine have a huge potential due to the 5 cylinders and his smooth delivery. With an aftermarket intake manifold, the dyno curve become more linear and can reach number near 220bhp.

Now let's say you want to boost it, your car is actually producing 220bhp at 14,7psi which is the atmospheric pressure at sea level. If you boost your car at 10psi, you engine will be running at 24,7psi which is 1.68 times more than 14,7psi, in other words, the car's performance is 1.68 times more than when it was naturally aspirated. 220 • 1,68 give 370bhp.

220bhp @ 14,7psi
370bhp @ 24,7psi (10psi boost)

The drivetrain loss is about 10-15% (37bhp - 55bhp) so theoretically :

~ 315whp to 333whp @ 10psi boost

A GTI boost near 12psi and produce way less than this. Working on a GTI cost less than boosting a 2.5 since the GTI already have the turbo setup, but the 2.5 have way more potential in my opinion and it sounds so good plus it's super reliable and a good platform to work on ! I wouldn't trade my 2.5 for anything else than an other 5cyl such the Audi 2.2L 5cyl turbo :)

Staver

Passed Driver's Ed
What did you do to your 2.5L Golf today

Haven’t posted in awhile - thought I’d share some news. I have a 2012 MKVI Golf (2.5L), and have done the following mods (AEM short air intake, Integrated Engineering Stage 1 tune, and an AWE cat back.

I was finding the cat back to be unpleasant between 2000-3500 rpms and in some cases it would set off car alarms at work.

Talked to the folks at 425 Motorsports and they were able to fit a Vibrant 3” ultra quiet resonator in where the suitcase style muffler was on the stock exhaust.

Super thrilled with the results

Verdict:
$100 parts + 2.5 hrs labor
No more cabin resonating while driving
Smooths out the sound of the engine
Minimal performance loss
Approx 10% louder than stock

If you weren’t sure about the cat back, this addition makes it all good. Highly recommend.

Staver

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Haven’t posted in awhile - thought I’d share some news. I have a 2012 MKVI Golf (2.5L), and have done the following mods (AEM short air intake, Integrated Engineering Stage 1 tune, and an AWE cat back.

I was finding the cat back to be unpleasant between 2000-3500 rpms and in some cases it would set off car alarms at work.

Talked to the folks at 425 Motorsports and they were able to fit a Vibrant 3” ultra quiet resonator in where the suitcase style muffler was on the stock exhaust.

Super thrilled with the results

Verdict:
$100 parts + 2.5 hrs labor
No more cabin resonating while driving
Smooths out the sound of the engine
Minimal performance loss
Approx 10% louder than stock

If you weren’t sure about the cat back, this addition makes it all good. Highly recommend.

Staver
Great,
you got her sorted.

I've helped about 5 people with their 2.5 exhaust, from what I've seen leaving the centre muffler in place is the best thing, it leaves enough back pressure to still results in getting good torque all round.

Adding a GTI Axleback suitcase gives the GTI dual exhaust look but keeps the noise leave civilized (stock quiet).
Adding a 2.5 inch Y pipe and having a shop fab dual exhaust pipes to fit the GTI valance and exhaust hangers, result in same performance as the GTI axle back suitcase but with a bit louder 5 cylinder sounds but without any drone.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
... now for what I did.

My drivers side wheel bearing has been giving signs of failing soon. While driving on a straight section of road, if i turn the steering wheel slightly off center to the right, I can hear a slight howl which goes away when I turn the steering wheel back to the left.

Yesterday knowing that I would be leaving for South Carolina today, I replace the left wheel bearing, if I'd known I would have done the R&R when I replaced the CV boot last August. Once you've done a CV boot on one of these Golfs the wheel bearing is just as easy but not as messy as doing a CV boot. Before removing the Wheel Bearing I could hear noise when rotating the bearing and could feel a bit of roughness. Once I started wacking the bearing with a 4 lbs hammer to get it off the steering knuckle, the bearing started coming apart

New wheel Bearing is super cool and no howl off-center :thumbup: glad I replaced it, now I go full attack mode into corners once again.

EDIT: If I had let the bearing get worst the howl would have gotten worst, usually people think it's their tires that are bad not thinking that the bearings can cause the noise. If it got worst, the bearing would get loose making the tires wear badly and making a good alignment almost impossible.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Great day today, took my "Junkyard SRI" to the track, better experience than with the stock intake manifold but would be even better with IE SRI Tune installed.... because you stay in the mid to hi rpm range at the track so much, a Short Runner Intake is just what the doctor ordered for the 2.5.

Tried several times over the last week to get on RRR but no DEs were scheduled, some guys doing a shakedown of their race car helped me out. Now I can head back to Toronto on Saturday to the cold and snow.

Attachments

• IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 186

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Got back to Toronto on the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 tires, checked weather radar all the way and got back on dry roads early Sunday morning.

Grislaved Nordfrost 5 winters on now.

Pulled off the "Junkyard SRI" and put the stock intake back on, good thing tho the bottom of the intake SRI was full of oil, this engine never did that before hmmmmm .

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Cleaned oil from intake manifold today, fastest way is to seal the openings with Gorilla tape (Outdoor version), put some gas in it and shake it around, dump out gas and you're done.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
HELLO, Anyone out there!

Jan 13th, My Son did Winter Driving Course in Minden Ontario. Alot of New Ice Racers take this course. The setup works great on glare ice with winter tires. NOTE: Gotta start off in 2nd gear on Ice, even 3rd some times (only for early cars)

This morning Changed Oil and took off for Daytona for the Rolex 24 Weekend with stopping off in South Carolina. Trying to get there by Friday to C360R race in the Continental Tire Challenge before the Rolex 24.

On the Weekend, I ordered a Skunk2 Velocity Stack/Filter to replace the Neuspeed P-Flo Filter thats on the car, hopefully it gets there before I do, so I can install and go.

ANYONE wants to buy a Neuspeed P-Flo Filter, it's for sale !:happyanim:

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
just got back from installing GTI front and rear sway bars, shocks, springs and new Continental Extreme Contact Sports mounted on 17" alloys from my TDI trade in. This was a much needed upgrade. Handles great now.:thumbup: Not sure what to do with the old parts. Trash them I guess. Not sure the 2.5 suspension is anything anyone is in need of.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
just got back from installing GTI front and rear sway bars, shocks, springs and new Continental Extreme Contact Sports mounted on 17" alloys from my TDI trade in. This was a much needed upgrade. Handles great now.:thumbup: Not sure what to do with the old parts. Trash them I guess. Not sure the 2.5 suspension is anything anyone is in need of.

I would keep the stock spring, sold the front one for 80$ CAD, as for the sway bars and the shock, people doesn't seems to be interested in stock one, I would keep the stock parts in case you plan to sell the car, so you could sell your performance parts individual and sell a bone stock car