GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extended warranty or no?

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
My 3 year 36k bumper to bumper is ending this weekend. I’m trying to decide if I should purchase an extended or not. I’m apr stage 2 ecu/tcu, intake, Neuspeed catback, plugs and coil packs and suspension is coming next. I’ve only got 21k miles on the car so I’m not sure what to do.

I’ll probably keep the car until the mk8 comes out which I’ve read will be 2019 or so. What are your thoughts? Is it worth buying an extended warranty with the mods I have or will those cause issues with the warranty anyways?

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
My thoughts are mods could void even the 36k warranty. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
My thoughts are mods could void even the 36k warranty. I wouldn't worry about it.

+1

i had a extended warranty when i refinanced my car, a few months ago. and i was getting some work done at the dealership ( total cost +4k) long story short my extended warranty approved the work even though my car was modded. but during the process of it being fixed something else needed to be repair and went to in extended warranty but this time they decided to send out an inspector. and one look at the car they voided my warranty and i was forced to pay out of pocket that bill. but they refunded the money for extended warranty and applied it to the loan of the car.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I bought one for 100k or 5years for something like 2600 I'm at 90k prolly won't be able to use it.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Bought an extended warranty for mine the day after my ECU crapped out in traffic around 35k miles.

Car is decently modded, and I've had a few small things replaced, no questions asked. Paid under 2k for it from a TDI Club member (RIP Chris). Total of the repairs haven't exceeded that, but the piece of mind is worth it to me. Especially with all these timing chains shitting the bed.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Where have you guys gotten yours? Going through the dealership or a third party? The peace of mind would be nice but I worry about them denying stuff due to the tune and mods. Although my dealership has been mod friendly so far

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!

So you’re saying to skip the extended?

I guess I still have the power train warranty, just losing the bumper to bumper. And of course the dealership is contacting me every day to try and get me to upgrade to a new gti. I told them if they get a mk7 or 7.5 R then we’ll talk.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Where have you guys gotten yours? Going through the dealership or a third party? The peace of mind would be nice but I worry about them denying stuff due to the tune and mods. Although my dealership has been mod friendly so far

Mine was 3rd party, if you get an extended warranty through the dealership and they are mod friendly then i dont see why you shouldn’t go for it. But ifbits 3rd party and the dealership is mod friendly then you run the risk of the 3rd part warranty send out and inspector to approve the job. And some insurance clearly states that it wont cover its the suspension, engine, drivetrain has been modified in anyway.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
So you’re saying to skip the extended?

I guess I still have the power train warranty, just losing the bumper to bumper. And of course the dealership is contacting me every day to try and get me to upgrade to a new gti. I told them if they get a mk7 or 7.5 R then we’ll talk.
Yes. Extended warranties to my knowledge are rarely bumper to bumper and just cover power train. Which if your modded can easily be blamed for your issues. You'd have to find a REALLY mod friendly dealer. Like if ur rear seal shits the bed they can blame your increased crankcase pressure from the tune and not cover it. Obviously an O2 sensor or the like is unrelated but there is an actual 60k exhaust warranty from manufacturer. Having the extended power train warranty and being 90k miles i'm praying my intake manifold goes bad before hand but I doubt it. Once my warranty is up I'll be doing a carbon cleaning and getting the revised manifold put on.

Edit: if you can hold out till the '18s they will likely come with 76k warranties.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
As I told the person in the finance department when I purchased my car "I void warranties"

In other words, it was pointless to purchase an extended warranty knowing from day 1 that the car would be modified. Besides, the last time I purchased a third party extended warranty for a 2006 Mustang GT that I purchased used in 2007, they went belly up. I called the number to get some warranty work done, and received the tone of of death with that dreadful "The number you have reached is disconnected or is no longer in service..." message.

KDOG1

Ready to race!
IMO it was well worth the $2000 I bought it at 70k when I bought the car and good for four or 5 years I believe and up to 110k and about 2k miles maybe less had mechatronics replaced. covered about all except a few gaskets, after that got tuned had exhaust, exterior mods-tailights-no reflectors-wheels- was clear wasn't stock amymore , trans mount, switched to stock tune before bringing it in with more problems, had an inspector come out from outside warranty company to approve entire transmission exchange after mechatronics didn't solve it and got approved, although my dealer was cool and wanted to know all mods and had me take off intake and put in stock before inspector just to be extra safe haha, but glad I did get it cause it came out to be worth it for me. Message me if your wondering about the warranty company I went thru, was WELL worth it in my experience

gdub09

Ready to race!
I wouldn't bother if you're modded. They don't cover anything unless you're stock 95% of the time. I have a 3rd party warranty and I'm tuned so we'll see what they cover. Right before I went stage 2 I had a leak from my cam cradle fixed and my thermostat/water pump replaced with my warranty. Tried to get chains too but they didn't approve. Surprisingly they didn't send an inspector out.