GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Awesome Idea... (maybe)

Nicks06TR

Ready to race!
A great idea to throw to the tuning companies. I leased my car, and I drive it A LOT, I plan on trading it in and switching up to a new GTI in like 3 years. I plan on getting stage 1 on my car, but I was wondering if it's possible, or if anyone ever thought about the possibility of giving a reduced price, or a possibility of a transfer of the program from the old GTI to the new one. (assuming the engine remains the same). I really want to go APR, but I dread having it for 2 or 3 years, and then having to spend 600 bucks all over again on my next GTI.

Nicks06TR

Ready to race!
I know, but it just sucks so hard. :( It would def. be a cool idea if you could go to an APR dealer, show them the lease paperwork or something to prove it's not you coming with multiple cars... pay to have the software installed, then get like half price or something when you come back with the next one. Or a repeat buyer discount would be sweet too. Just a thought to get people who are holding back because they are planning on a constant lease cycle. A great way to boost business in this economy :laugh:

762x51

168gr BTHP
Honestly, I think that's a great idea and I'm surprised that a dealer hasn't done this yet.

1. Pay full price for the software upgrade and bring your car in to get flashed.
2. Bring it back at the end of the lease to be flashed back to stock (proof that you are upgrading to a new vehicle)
3. Bring in new car to be flashed and pay a discounted "upgrade" fee

Software companies like Microsoft and Adobe do it for computer software, why not for ECU software? I know I would be much more inclined to tune my leased cars if a program like this was available.

Nicks06TR

Ready to race!
I seriously think it would be a great idea for the APR or Revo or GIAC to consider. I know I would definitely go stage1 with a lease if there were such a program. It's not like they would be losing money on the deal considering no parts are needed to be made or anything. Hint hint Aron@APR or Chris@APR...

cbope

Not that it's technically not possible, but I think you will have a hard time selling this to the companies that make the ECU software. Here's why:

- Typically, your new car will have a different engine than the old one (requires different software upgrade)
- The company will make less money since they sell you an upgrade vs. full price

Now, possibly the companies could offer a subscription over X number of years which they allow so many transfers to new vehicles. However, this would likely cost you more to have a subscription vs. a one-time purchase.

Consider also the same scenario if you buy engine upgrade parts. If you keep your car ~3 years or so (considering your lease scenario), what are the chances the same parts will fit on a new model? These days, practically zero.