GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EONON GA5153F Review

EononCarDVD

Go Kart Champion
Hi 6MTCSG, the version of the software provided for you is already the lastest one. We checked with the tech again and they suggested you return the head unit to test. We will send you details about how to return the head unit. No worry we will take good care of your case, and you’ll be finally satisfied. Thanks.

6MTCSG

Banned
Can anyone confirm if they can have their unit run for 30mins + after key has been pulled out? (via ACC setting), if I am the only one having issue, I will just get an exchange.

dahui91

Hey guys, this is the first time this has happened, installing an app, I used the APK installer, made sure unkown sources was turned on as well so I should be able to install any app and I've installed many others this way.

When I try to install Adaway, it will not go past the "Install" screen it seems kind of fishy to me this is the only app that I cannot install. Even if I try to install via terminal emulator it indicates install blocked.

dahui91

Can anyone confirm if they can have their unit run for 30mins + after key has been pulled out? (via ACC setting), if I am the only one having issue, I will just get an exchange.

I cannot confirm this but suspect it is the same as any aftermarket unit. See explanation.

The stock radio gets its signal to turn on and off through the CAN BUS of the car, this allows the car to run in ACC mode when you pull the key and press the button to turn the radio on for 30 minutes.

Eonon's unit only decodes the CAN BUS signal to allow you to use your steering wheel controls, it gets its on and off requst through power itself. Because VW turns the power off when the key is pulled the unit shuts off as soon as the key is pulled and cannot be turned back on again. The reason is when you press the power button its not a send CAN initiate code to turn on its a simple power switch.

Take this a step further. So say you just decide to leave your key in, the unit will stay on for 30 minutes while in accessory mode (provided you have your unit set to 30 minutes or longer). Set your unit to stay on an hour with the key in, guess what, 30 minutes it will shut off. Why do you ask? VW had hard coded the ACC to turn off the vehicle power after 30 minutes as a power save feature.

:w00t:

6MTCSG

Banned
I cannot confirm this but suspect it is the same as any aftermarket unit. See explanation.

The stock radio gets its signal to turn on and off through the CAN BUS of the car, this allows the car to run in ACC mode when you pull the key and press the button to turn the radio on for 30 minutes.

Eonon's unit only decodes the CAN BUS signal to allow you to use your steering wheel controls, it gets its on and off requst through power itself. Because VW turns the power off when the key is pulled the unit shuts off as soon as the key is pulled and cannot be turned back on again. The reason is when you press the power button its not a send CAN initiate code to turn on its a simple power switch.

Take this a step further. So say you just decide to leave your key in, the unit will stay on for 30 minutes while in accessory mode (provided you have your unit set to 30 minutes or longer). Set your unit to stay on an hour with the key in, guess what, 30 minutes it will shut off. Why do you ask? VW had hard coded the ACC to turn off the vehicle power after 30 minutes as a power save feature.

:w00t:

Hi, Thank for your explanation but i suspect my case is a bit different. The unit turns itself off at around the 10 min mark. I had another android system before and it had no issue with this whatsoever. My battery is not dead or low by any means. The unit can be turned back on in a sec or so, I just have to put power on again and off. The unit itself still have power because it turns back on so quickly, if it was completely shut off it would take another 30 sec for it to start but it doesnt, hence i suspect a software issue. I am working with Eonon for either a refund or exchange at the moment.

dahui91

Hi, Thank for your explanation but i suspect my case is a bit different. The unit turns itself off at around the 10 min mark. I had another android system before and it had no issue with this whatsoever. My battery is not dead or low by any means. The unit can be turned back on in a sec or so, I just have to put power on again and off. The unit itself still have power because it turns back on so quickly, if it was completely shut off it would take another 30 sec for it to start but it doesnt, hence i suspect a software issue. I am working with Eonon for either a refund or exchange at the moment.

Awesome, misunderstood your question a little bit there. As far as that explanation goes it does seem like faulty software.

dahui91

you don't have that problem? your is able to stay on past 10 mins?

I don't have the problem as mines turns off as soon as the key is pulled, on the MKV the radio doesn't stay on if you pull the key, they shut off immediately, you would have to leave the key in the ACC position without removing it for my radio to stay on, and even then it will only stay on a max of 30 minutes.

You may be running into a situation where you vehicle is going into power save mode after 10 minutes but I'm not sure of the MK6 power strategy.

drew1296

Turns off immediately

I have a mk6 GTI with the Eonon head unit and mine shuts off immediately when the key is pulled out of the ignition. I just installed it and haven't done any modifications whatsoever, so I am assuming that this should be its default behavior. Not an expert here, but your unit seems a little buggy.

I have only had one issue so far with mine (installed for a week now). After one day of being installed, my head unit would not get past the VW logo screen. Turning the unit on and off did not help, nor did pulling the fuse to the radio to completely remove power. I even tried pressing the reset button on the lower right hand of the unit. To fix it, I ultimately had to hold the reset button while pressing the power button to get into the android restore mode. That worked, but all of my settings and installed apps were gone. Annoying, but it hasn't happened again.

Just a friendly reminder anyone who has one to back it up after you have gotten it configured to your liking.

EononCarDVD

Go Kart Champion
Hi drew1296, you can check the OEM icon for some missing APK.

Thanks for drew1296's post. If we set the certain time to shut off BATT on the cars, the head unit can stay on till the highest electrifying time you set.

Last edited:

ribtits

Passed Driver's Ed
MeanGreenGTI that would be great if you could do a short clip, it may be the one bug I have. I've been reviewing a ton of information on xda-developers for these units, see below.

Ok ladies and gentlemen, had a moment to play around with my unit, finally got it rooted, and running Nova launcher for that more stock android feel, still trying to figure some things out but as this thread has the most feedback on the product, I'll keep updates in here as well as when I do my complete review.

I do not take responsibility for you breaking your system, and if you do Eonon will not send you a new one, do this at your own risk. This should work on 99.9% of your android units out there running "pure android".

Doing this my system seems to run better a little more smoothly.

To Temporary Root: Settings > Factory Settings > Pasword prompt > *#hct#root#

To Permanent Root: Now install superuser go through prompts, when asked rooting method choose normal, congratulations your rooted.

This allows you to do things like install custom recoveries (research how to do this) that allow you to back up your system should you brick it. This is highly recommended as support for these units are very limited.

Change your Launcher: Don't like their launcher? Install Nova or one of the several other launchers on the google play store, my unit now looks like a true android unit.

Change your DPI: the screen comes stock with 220 or 240 I cannot remember. Either way I set my down to 180 (smaller number higher looking resolution) this makes the buttons and toolbars smaller, effectively making it look like a higher resolution. There are apps on the app store for this. I have not been able to get this to stick after key pull though but haven't messed with the build prop information manually (that's for advanced users).

This unit once I changed those 3 things root, launcher, and DPI has been perfect and gives me the experience I was looking for. It will probably be this weekend before I can post a video.

PS MeanGreenGTI if you want me to remove this post send me a PM.

When you did a permanent root did you just do the temporary root, then go to the play store and install this "app""https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&hl=en ? And then just follow the prompts from there?

Or did you do it the way as listed in the xda thread? As shown below:

0- Do a back up (copy the files somewhere safe) of your internal SD card memory. It will be wiped during the process.

1- Download the ROM (Resolution 1024x600 or 800x480) and MCU (KGL, KLD, JY, GS,RM, MX, BN, HA) for your unit.
ROMs--> repository This will get you a file named update.img. There are different "flavors" of ROMs.
Code:
- @coudu (rooted, stock). Early v4.0 and v4.1 have some problems.
- @Malaysk (rooted, with very useful mods, some come with NEXT launcher)
- @dsa8310 (rooted, almost stock)
MCUs--> Latest MCUs by Malaysk are here . This will get you a file named mcu.img

2- copy the update.img you have chosen to the root of your GPS card.

3- copy the mcu.img for your specific unit to the root of your GPS card (if you do not want to update mcu.img, you can skip this step)

4- insert back the GPS card to the unit. If no window pops up, reboot the unit. At boot, the presence of update.img will be detected and a pop up window will ask you whether you want to update your unit. It will automatically reboot into recovery mode and update your unit. Once done, remove update.img and mcu.img from the root of the gps card or you will be asked every boot for an update.

5- In some Coudu´s (sd partition of 3Gb) and Malaysk´s ROMs versions, it is necessary to do a factory reset just after the first boot so that everything works properly.

6- If you lost buttons or radio after the upgrade --> Go to Factory settings (password 126) and choose the proper canbus for your car and the radio chipset. You can change boot logo if you want.

* If you get Google services error after upgrading to KitKat see this and this

drew1296

Hi drew1296, you can check the OEM icon for some missing APK.

Thanks for drew1296's post. If we set the certain time to shut off BATT on the cars, the head unit can stay on till the highest electrifying time you set.

Hi, I didn't get a chance to check the OEM icon. I turned on my car today and it is stuck at the VW logo again. I sent you a PM. This is very annoying.