GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Turbo Yaris to Cadillac ATS Transformation: Petrolhead Fights Car ADD, but loses

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Yeah, you can't get rid of the Pacer.

If you're really that bored and frustrated with it, you could always add flares, dump it on coilovers, stretch the tires out, and stance it. :laugh:

You might make people's heads explode.

Good idea. I'll start researching bags now.

Luckily, I got the stance thing out of my system with the Volvo. It sucks, I'll never do that again.

I have toyed with what it would take to make the Pacer a legit track car. Lots of custom suspension would would be needed. Maybe one day, but it's almost too custom as it is to risk at the track. :iono:

PetrolHead

The weather turned shitty here fast. I'm going to yank the insurance of the GTI and put it to sleep next week. This is my first time storing an overly computer-controlled car. I'll fill the tank to the top, plug in the battery tender, anyone know of anything else I should do to make sure the thing's ok in 4 months or so?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Add some drygas to the tank, and take the load off of the suspension to keep the tires from flatspotting.

PetrolHead

Add some drygas to the tank, and take the load off of the suspension to keep the tires from flatspotting.

Never used drygas before. When we store the Pacer or other cars, everyone around here just fills the tank ALL THE WAY to eliminate condensation. Cars are usually fine in the spring, but this German thing could be a bit more complicated. I'm going to look into this.

I wonder if there's really a concern about the tires flat spotting. I'm on shitty stock R Pirelli all seasons. Seems like any flat spotting would probably go away after a few miles of driving? Guess I could throw it on jack stands just to be safe.

PetrolHead

I'm actually IN Detroit...reppin the 313. North Detroit, at 8-mile and Woodward in a nice area where 99% of the houses are occupied and people actually take care of their shit. It's amazing The level of house you can get for next to nothing if you're willing to take a Detroit zip code:

Turbo Yaris peeking out of its sleeping spot, Ol Blue off to the side.

1930's brick tudor, completely updated and modernized inside and out, needs nothing besides a lift in the garage ;)

I love this city, nothing tops it IMO.

PetrolHead

Thanks! And because of the zip code, it cost less than a studio condo in LA. Hell, if it was just 1 mile north on the other side of 8-mile it would be worth double what we paid.

Detroit rocks.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I think the biggest issue I have is the weather. I couldn't take a colder clime than what I'm dealing with now.

And the bike riding would be pretty miserable, too, now that I think about it. I hate urban riding.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
beautiful Pacer.. I helped my friend buy a sweet green Gremlin once..

PetrolHead

I think the biggest issue I have is the weather. I couldn't take a colder clime than what I'm dealing with now.

And the bike riding would be pretty miserable, too, now that I think about it. I hate urban riding.

Detroit doesn't get as cold as the rest of the state given our very south eastern location. I imagine we have similar climate to you, really.

The mountain biking in this region is pretty good...even some decent trails about 20 minutes from our house. Urban biking is nice in Detroit too, because it's so scarcely populated. I can ride from my house to work (about 9 miles) through parks, sparsely populated neighborhoods, and abandoned warehouse areas...just don't get a flat and you won't be hassled. The city is also working on bike trails, so once I get to downtown, I can ride on dedicated bike trails through the chaos, not dealing with car traffic. It goes through downtown right now, and is expected to grow up to my house eventually. It's actually a great city to bike in, I was surprised. You just can't ride for 4 months due to weather.

PetrolHead

beautiful Pacer.. I helped my friend buy a sweet green Gremlin once..

Woa, seriously? We contemplated a Gremlin actually, but found the Pacer first. Gremlins are lighter and could also be had with V8's. They can be pretty insane when built right.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Where exactly are the trails you speak of?

I mean, I'm not totally averse to Detroit, the resurgence of the city has really piqued my interest in recent years. If I was single...

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Woa, seriously? We contemplated a Gremlin actually, but found the Pacer first. Gremlins are lighter and could also be had with V8's. They can be pretty insane when built right.

his had a straight 6. it had terrible oil leaks. he knew nothign about cars and i was in my first 2 years of being a car mechanic. i didnt know much. we worked on a lot of things and replaced an alternator. ultimately it needed too much work and he ended up selling it.

oh, the body was cherry clean, interior too.

you are my new 2nd fav guy on the forums, after the dude of course.