GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Turbo Yaris to Cadillac ATS Transformation: Petrolhead Fights Car ADD, but loses

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Where exactly are the trails you speak of?

I mean, I'm not totally averse to Detroit, the resurgence of the city has really piqued my interest in recent years. If I was single...

They're paving the entire distance of the Detroit river for mixed use bike/walking/running. From there, they're starting to pave old railroad lines. This for example, should go by my house one day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dequindre_Cut

They're also starting to take roads that were designed for a larger population and cutting the traffic lanes from 5 to 3, with the rightmost being for bikes. It's one of the benefits of being in a city that was designed for 2M people with only 700k in it.

his had a straight 6. it had terrible oil leaks. he knew nothign about cars and i was in my first 2 years of being a car mechanic. i didnt know much. we worked on a lot of things and replaced an alternator. ultimately it needed too much work and he ended up selling it.

oh, the body was cherry clean, interior too.

you are my new 2nd fav guy on the forums, after the dude of course.

The 232 and 258 I-6 (the latter a stroked version of the former) had awful oil leaks. It's amazing they built that engine mostly unchanged into the 2000s. As a result, you can swap a 4.0L head onto the old 258 and make it a pretty decent performer. I've always thought that would be a fun motor in an old Rambler American Wagon....

....NO! BAD! DON'T OPEN CL

*opens new tab anyway*

Rust free Gremlins are actually worth money these days as they all rusted way. AMC had horrible rust prevention (they didn't know what that meant, really).

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. Glad to be held in such high regard. I can troll hard, but am genuinely passionate about this shit. :thumbsup:

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I meant mountain bike trails, not so much the road/river trails.

Flat road cycling does nothing for me, sadly. I need dem hillz.

PetrolHead

I meant mountain bike trails, not so much the road/river trails.

Flat road cycling does nothing for me, sadly. I need dem hillz.

Oh nice, I'm with ya. For starters, here's maybe the king in the area:

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/potawatomi-trail.html

This is about an hour from my house

then

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/pontiac-lake.html

I grew up around the corner from this one, know it like the back of my hand, about an hour from my house.

Then

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/brighton-rec-area.html

A little tamer, but still legit. This is 40 minutes from my house.

These are the highlights. There are closer ones to me, just not as good. For weekend trips, the upper peninsula has world-class mountain biking:

http://www.copperharbortrails.org/

There's also some legit stuff on the west side of the state, about 3 hours away.

My dad and I are avid mountain bikers. Michigan is surprisingly good for mountain biking.

PetrolHead

As part of my commitment to kicking this car ADD thing, I'm deleting the links to CL ads I've amassed. Kinda like deleting the numbers for the flings you have when committing to a lady. Unlike that though (or is it), most CL links are dead, but this one....this fucker is still around:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4182941985.html

This was a serious contender if I sold the Yaris. I take solace in the fact that there's gotta be something wrong with it since I saved the link in the beginning of October. The interior sucks, but I would replace the seats with Recaro Pole Positions or something anyway. I love HUD, and I've never had a car with a lot of fancy features. Could be cool.

It's all hypothetical anyway, but of all the cars to stick around, why this one? What's wrong with it? Why won't this bastid sell?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
If you ever get a hankering for this truck, let me know...

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Mother of balls. If I had the space...

Any more details on it?

It's an '83 C20, all original, 53k miles. Canadian built. I've got the books, service history, manuals, etc. Midnight blue with a white roof. Dual side-saddle tanks. 350 w/3-speed auto.

The paint's in great shape, but is starting to develop hairline cracks in spots, no rust anywhere on the body, only surface rust on the frame.

It'd be a great base for an E-rod crate drivetrain. If I had the time and money, I'd do it.

PetrolHead

It's an '83 C20, all original, 53k miles. Canadian built. I've got the books, service history, manuals, etc. Midnight blue with a white roof. Dual side-saddle tanks. 350 w/3-speed auto.

At first I was like

FAIL

then I was like...
The paint's in great shape, but is starting to develop hairline cracks in spots, no rust anywhere on the body, only surface rust on the frame.

It'd be a great base for an E-rod crate drivetrain. If I had the time and money, I'd do it.

Fixable. an LS and T56 would be amazing in this thing. Being 2WD, it is the ideal candidate.

Why oh why do you do this to me? This is the type of vehicle I dream about! With 4 cars, I'm pretty full right now..but if I sold Ol Blue...

....Then I wouldn't have a winter beater...

....Then I'd drive the MK6 in the winter....

..then I'd have to pay full-year insurance.....

...but I'd have a badass project truck....

Ugh.

It's funny you bring this up now because I was talking to my wife this weekend about me getting a project car one of these days. Something cheap that I could do something silly to. She for some reason, loves trucks. Couldn't care about cars, but loves full size trucks. She said if I found a cool truck, she'd consider it.

Oh balls.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Hey, let me know. I'd really love to sell it to someone who will take care of it and not just turn it into a farm beater. :(

PetrolHead

It doesn't necessarily have to become a farm beater. These are reaching collectible status pretty quickly, and one in this shape could actually find a home with a collector or something. BaT and eBay are options. Made a killing on my e30 selling it on eBay.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
It doesn't necessarily have to become a farm beater. These are reaching collectible status pretty quickly, and one in this shape could actually find a home with a collector or something. BaT and eBay are options. Made a killing on my e30 selling it on eBay.

That's what I'm hoping, but it would definitely take finding the right buyer.

I still need to finish editing the photos I have of it. Maybe I'll finish that up tonight and send you a link to the set of photos.

If you had to put a number on the truck, though, what would you peg it at?