Non-led lights
Sunglasses compartment doesn't close sometimes
1-2 gear shift.

mortis

Ready to race!
Monthly payments!

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
Only had the car since Sunday and the lack of memory seats/mirrors is a pain. My wife and I switch off daily and its hard to find the perfect positioning every time. Other than that in love with the car.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion

Green or yellow gti would look aweful!!!

Ferrari yellow would be the nutz.

I *am* a little disappointed that some here don't understand the concept of "*one* big gripe".

Can of worms. You opened it.

this thread is the definition of a downer

Honestly, it's the opposite for me. Lotta gripes about shit that people can control or are just simply unrealistic. There might be a quirk here and there that makes me pause, but nothing that really pisses me off. And, considering how anal I am about my car, that says a shit ton. TBH, I had to actually think for a couple minutes to come up with something and the first thing I thought of isn't really car based. Getting only a 3 month free subscription to XM was irritating. Tons of cheaper manufacturers out there offer 6 month and many a year free service. We get three months? Fuckin' lame.

GTI is the best car for the money in its category. I can't find anything that I would rather want for the price.

+1. I looked at a bunch and nothing really measured up. It's why I bought it. Go ahead. Try to find me a better, overall new car for somewhere in the mid 20s. I'll wait...

serge1

Ready to race!
Blandness in general, and it's ok with me because I absolutely love this car. Best DD I've ever had. Period!

boosted27

Go Kart Champion
There isnt anything I dont like about my car.

I just wish the R came DSG...then it would of been perfect.

Philimon

Ready to race!
+1. I looked at a bunch and nothing really measured up. It's why I bought it. Go ahead. Try to find me a better, overall new car for somewhere in the mid 20s. I'll wait...

Mini Cooper S. Just as fun, more options, better mileage, and second best resale of any vehicle. Only major downsides are no 4-door option, and no DSG.

KilleenGTI

Ready to race!
OK I have had my car for 2.5 years and still love it. More than any other cars (Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Pontiac, Ford, Chevy) I have ever owned this car strikes the best balance for quality, luxury, sport, economy, etc. I knew when buying it that it wouldn'd be as quiet as my IS or as reliable as my Toyotas, but for what I paid this car is a homerun. I would buy it again and again.

That being said, I am a little surprised that nobody's gripe was power. The chassis can obviously handle more than the engine provides off the lot. The competition (Ford ST, Speed3, and the new Kia ProCeed) all bang out 25% or so more bhp. Most of us have already spent a paltry $600 to get our power output to where it should have been from the factory. To remain the "hot hatch" benchmark VW needs boost hp and torque outputs.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
1. Unreliable Bluetooth media connection
2. Creaks and clunks
3. Not enough power in stock form. I just went APR stage 1 and it's fantastic, but the car should've come this way from the factory!
4. All-season bullshit tires

Other than that, I'm loving my GTI :D

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Mini Cooper S. Just as fun, more options, better mileage, and second best resale of any vehicle. Only major downsides are no 4-door option, and no DSG.

Coveted one for a couple years. Drove the Cooper S multiple times. Used to carpool with a coworker who used to let me drive it all the time.

Blast to drive. Handles like it's on rails. Interior is kinda blah. Similar driving experience to the GTI. ONLY thing it has over the GTI is better gas mileage. Period.

What drove me away was the price tag and its reliability. I know 5 Cooper (4 S and 1 JCW) owners and every one of them say that the car is the perfect lease car. You don't want to own one beyond its bumper to bumper warranty. Their complaints make our GTIs sound as reliable as a Honda.

Oh, and good luck getting one equipped the way you want it under 30K. They nickel and dime the shit out of you on options.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Ash tray being very finicky to close.

Nice call. I thought I was the only one who had massive problems getting that thing to latch closed.

Wait, what? There's an ashtray? You mean the compartment behind the shifter?

Mine doesn't stay closed and they've already replaced it once.

There's my gripe, I guess...lol.

spagett!

Go Kart Champion

Yea I thought minis were in the low 30s. You could get a 1 series too if you're gonna move up there

kern417

Go Kart Champion
The laundry list of features/tweaks in the Euro versions as OEM but not NA OEM.

HUGE.

Ash tray being very finicky to close.

I HATE how hard it is to close the armrest after you open it. i dont understand why it has that halfway open locked position, not sure why anyone would just want it to stay half open.

Air still coming through vents even though the dial is set to 0.

if you put the air on recirc it won't. i usually leave it open when driving so i don't have to have the A/C on but if i come across a weird smell or end up behind a diesel, just hit the recirc button and it closes the vents all the way

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I HATE how hard it is to close the armrest after you open it. i dont understand why it has that halfway open locked position, not sure why anyone would just want it to stay half open.

I have it 3 clicks up and rest my arm on it while driving...it would have been pointless without that.

Sent from my iPhone with typos

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
Hmmmmmmm
2.5 doesn't come with dsg
Newer 2.5s comes with steelies(really VWoA... Steelies?)
The 2013 golf has the driver side compartment under the dash.
The 2012+ golf's need to change their entire steering column and/or airbag/mfsw module to use any mfsw.
Bluetooth audio is buggy
No R-line golf/tdi in the USA.
Grand Canyon wheel gap

Sent via a microwave.