GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The dangers of increasing GTI turbo-boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

surrealchemist

Ready to race!
Aren't the horsepower ratings peak power? I am pretty sure you aren't going to hit 250HP the instant you step on the gas and until you stop the car.

surrealchemist

Ready to race!
Aren't the horsepower ratings peak power? I am pretty sure you aren't going to hit 250HP the instant you step on the gas and until you stop the car.

Why did I even reply...

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
clearly tons of people would be on these forums with snapped rods if the stage 1, or any of the stages for that matter, did damage to the engine... Arin didnt dodge the question, what hes saying is that after all the tunes APR has provided, people arent complaining bout snapped rods and blown pistons... let alone complaining about not getting high mileage out of their car.

The EA888 engine hasn't been out long enough for many people to damage it.

Most of the engines he's modded are EA113 engines, which aren't the same engines.

You were aware of that - right?

Audi is still using the EA113 engines in it's high performance applications, while the EA888 is reserved for its lower performance application (like the base model Audi A4 sedan).

Eventually they'll adopt the EA888 engine for their high performance applications, but they'll incorporate a host of upgrades in the interest of reliability and longevity when doing so.

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
The link you provided says that your software tweak added 36 HP; that's a far cry from the increases your advertising on your website.

FALSE

APR Stock Measured Peak Power: 212 HP
APR 91 Octane Measured Peak Power: 246 HP

Difference: 34 HP

So VW is claiming during their testing it actually made 2 more than what we advertised.

The higher performance versions of the 2.0T use a different engine (EA113) with a stronger block, stronger cylinder heads, rods, pistons, wrist pins, main caps, etc.

Lets go over each of these:

Stronger Block - The block is the same. Show me documented Audi/VW proof of it being stronger.

Stronger Cylinder Head - The cylindar head is the same. Show me documented Audi/VW Proof it's stronger.

Rods - The rods are different because the compression is changed. Show me documented Audi/VW Proof they are stronger.

Wrist Pins - Show me documented Audi/VW Proof they are stronger

Main Caps - Documentation Please! Prove it!

The EA888 is clearly the weaker engine

This proves you've done no testing on the EA888 engine. You honestly believe VW and Audi would simply make a weaker engine when new technologies have arisen to create stronger components at cheaper prices. Dude, its the future, and the EA113 engine is based off stuff from LONG LONG LONG ago.

How bout this, find the material used for the FSI rods. Then look up the material for the TSI rods. Lets see what the companies designing the two rods have to say about the materials.

Get to work! Wikipedia only says so much so you may need to do a bit more homework.

Last edited:

kungfudill

Ready to race!
VW motorsports in the UK is confident enough in the engine's resilience to guarantee the original warranty if you do a stage 1 upgrade with them. This gives roughly the same increase as APR stage 1.
They say:
These power increases are ideal for all fast road Golf Mk6s - a real, genuine increase in power and mid-range torque, yet carefully developed and proven to protect your car's reliability and economy at all times.* For all UK vehicles still covered by Volkswagen Manufacturer Warranty, the Stage 1 Power Upgrades will be covered by the VWR warranty to give you complete peace of mind.

http://www.volkswagenracing.co.uk/Golf 6 Pages/Golf 6 PowerUpgrades.html

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
Like I said on a different thread, I don't get how the f**k I was banned a couple of weeks ago for discussing the methods needed for an ECU reflash on our MK6's (in which at the end I was right and it was proven when arin came in and confirmed so I wasn't trolling with bad info) and this guy gets to troll all day. BAN!!! NOW!!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
The EA888 engine hasn't been out long enough for many people to damage it.

Most of the engines he's modded are EA113 engines, which aren't the same engines.

You were aware of that - right?

Audi is still using the EA113 engines in it's high performance applications, while the EA888 is reserved for its lower performance application (like the base model Audi A4 sedan).

Eventually they'll adopt the EA888 engine for their high performance applications, but they'll incorporate a host of upgrades in the interest of reliability and longevity when doing so.

It's clear you don't understand how the OEM works. They don't use older engines just because they are stronger. They use them becasue they exist and new parts don't need to be made. When parts are in the part bins they can grap from here and there and make an engine for nothing.

Guess what's coming to town in the new Jetta? The 1980's 2.0L 4cyl. Do you think that's because it's some awesome engine? No... it's because it's already in the parts bin and is cheap to bring to market.

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
harddrivin1le, why are you such a negative nancy? just appreciate your gti for what it is, not fault it for what it isn't.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Like I said on a different thread, I don't get how the f**k I was banned a couple of weeks ago for discussing the methods needed for an ECU reflash on our MK6's (in which at the end I was right and it was proven when arin came in and confirmed so I wasn't trolling with bad info) and this guy gets to troll all day. BAN!!! NOW!!

You got a ban from this forum?

Its really annoying (and I find it condescending) when someone creates threads under the guise that everyone on this forum is a moron. Given the OP of this thread is the laughing-stock of this forum I guess others are insulted by him as well.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
FALSE

APR Stock Measured Peak Power: 212 HP
APR 91 Octane Measured Peak Power: 246 HP

Difference: 34 HP

So VW is claiming during their testing it actually made 2 more than what we advertised.

Lets go over each of there:

Stronger Block - The block is the same. Show me documented Audi/VW proof of it being stronger.

Stronger Cylinder Head - The cylindar head is the same. Show me documented Audi/VW Proof it's stronger.

Rods - The rods are different because the compression is changed. Show me documented Audi/VW Proof they are stronger.

Wrist Pins - Show me documented Audi/VW Proof they are stronger

Main Caps - What the fuck is a main cap?

This proves you've done no testing on the EA888 engine. You honestly believe VW and Audi would simply make a weaker engine when new technologies have arisen to create stronger components at cheaper prices. Dude, its the future, and the EA113 engine is based off stuff from LONG LONG LONG ago.

How bout this, find the material used for the FSI rods. Then look up the material for the TSI rods. Lets see what the companies designing the two rods have to say about the materials.

Get to work! Wikipedia only says so much so you may need to do a bit more homework.
oooohhhhh snaaaaap! whooooopiiiiissshhh! :slice:

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
NEWSFLASH!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q1/2010_volkswagen_golf_r-first_drive_review

"You might expect that the R and GTI would share an engine, only differing in tune, but you’d be mistaken. The GTI’s Audi-developed EA888 2.0-liter turbo four is not yet sturdy enough to handle the power and torque required for the Golf R, so the burlier model keeps the older, VW-developed EA113 engine..."

So the EA888 isn't up to handling the new Golf R's 270 HP and 258 FT-LB output...

Hmmmm

Sounds like modifying an EA88 engine to equal or exceed those figures isn't a very good idea...

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
harddrivin1le, why are you such a negative nancy? just appreciate your gti for what it is, not fault it for what it isn't.

Nothing negative about it.

I'm merely pointing out that those who modify their EA888 equipped engines are risking engine reliability and longevity.

Some people aren't aware of those facts.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
Status
Not open for further replies.