GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The dangers of increasing GTI turbo-boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddspider

Ready to race!
The link you provided says that your software tweak added 36 HP; that's a far cry from the increases your advertising on your website.

do you know how to read

APR Stage I Power Output Stock as Reported by
VAG with 91 Stock as Measured by
APR with 93 91 Octane (R+M)/2
95 Octane RON 93 Octane (R+M)/2
98 Octane RON 100 Octane (R+M)/2
104 Octane RON
Rev Limit 6,800 RPM 6,800 RPM 6,800 RPM 6,800 RPM 6,800 RPM
Speed Limit 130 MPH 130 MPH Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited
Power (HP) 200 HP 212 HP 250 HP 254 HP 273 HP
Torque (LB-FT) 207 TQ 224 TQ 294 TQ 297 TQ 337 TQ

from what they, as in APR, tested a stock gti at, it achieved 212hp. their stage 2 93 octane achieved 254hp. by my math thats a 42hp gain and torque of 70lbs. well within their claims. from the vast amount of research i have done these engines seem to be underrated from the factory. which in turn lead even more credence to apr's numbers for their actual testing of stock power levels. if that is true and the stock tsi motor is infact underrated and does infact produce numbers closer to 215-220hp then vw doesnt leave them self much wiggle room for the soon to be failure that you are talking about.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
It's clear you don't understand how the OEM works. They don't use older engines just because they are stronger. They use them becasue they exist and new parts don't need to be made. When parts are in the part bins they can grap from here and there and make an engine for nothing.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q1/2010_volkswagen_golf_r-first_drive_review

"You might expect that the [2010 Golf] R and GTI would share an engine, only differing in tune, but you’d be mistaken. The GTI’s Audi-developed EA888 2.0-liter turbo four is not yet sturdy enough to handle the power and torque required for the Golf R, so the burlier model keeps the older, VW-developed EA113 engine..."

So the EA888 "isn't string enough" to handle 270 HP and 258 FT-LB of torque....

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
do you know how to read

from what they, as in APR, tested a stock gti at, it achieved 212hp. their stage 2 93 octane achieved 254hp. by my math thats a 42hp gain and torque of 70lbs. well within their claims. from the vast amount of research i have done these engines seem to be underrated from the factory. which in turn lead even more credence to apr's numbers for their actual testing of stock power levels. if that is true and the stock tsi motor is infact underrated and does infact produce numbers closer to 215-220hp then vw doesnt leave them self much wiggle room for the soon to be failure that you are talking about.

Okay...

But look at the Stage 2 and Stage 3 gains...

They greatly exceed the levels pointed out here:

P

plac

Sexy!

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
harddrivin1le,

Stop posting magazine reviews. You know who writes those, don't you? People like you.

Show me documented Proof. If the magazines have documented proof from audi and vw then surely YOU have access to the same information.

-Arin

People like me?

I'm a mechanical engineer with 24 years of experience.

The bottom line is that the EA888, in its present form, is a weak engine - relative to the factory fortified EA113 engine.

Your Stage 1 tune is probably "okay" in that it produces very usable gains in output with only modest losses in longevity and durability.

But the Stage 2 and 3 mods push the EA888 way beyond its design limits.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
People like me?

The bottom line is that the EA888, in its present form, is a weak engine - relative to the factory fortified EA113 engine.

Great. Prove it!

PROVE IT

Find me 1 Technical document that proves your theory.

Wikipedia and Magazine articles are not proof.

oddspider

Ready to race!
pointed out where.

also did you come up with the 50k mileage time frame of engine meltdown out of thin air. is that your professional opinion? or if one were to believe the wiki article what is the current lifespan of a well maintained stock 2.0l tsi? 200k? 300k? what is it? if its the latter and i have a stage 3 and by doing so i reduce my lifespan by a 2/3 then you mean i can get 200hp per liter and it could last around a 100k. sign me the hell up partner.

shaun h

whatzupwithtah

Ready to race!
People like me?

Your Stage 1 tune is probably "okay" in that it produces very usable gains in output with only modest losses in longevity and durability.

But the Stage 2 and 3 mods push the EA888 way beyond its design limits.

I highly doubt a mechanical engineer would put their credit on the line by citing Wikipedia and magazine articles. Bring VW proof to the table and then we'll talk.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
Great. Prove it!

PROVE IT

Find me 1 Technical document that proves your theory.

Wikipedia and Magazine articles are not proof.

But your sales pitches are. Right?

Car and Driver and Wikipedia are good enough for me.

I'm not going to waste my time searching out VW/Audi supplied engine details because people will just discount those, too.

Axleman

Ready to race!

I'm not going to waste my time searching out VW/Audi supplied engine details because people will just discount those, too.

Hmm...

Proving your point using factory supplied specifications is a waste of time.

Proving your point using magazine articles and Wiki is a productive use of time.

Gotcha.

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!
Wikipedia is fine, as long as it has a link to the information. the only problem with wiki is that its not written well sometimes.

just sticking up for Wikipedia!

whatzupwithtah

Ready to race!

You are aware that APR is involved in motorsports, right?

If your choice of sources are good enough for you, your argument is not valid since it does not bring first party facts to the discussion.

I would love to see you in an argument in court and watch you get turned away so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.