GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up: Failing TSI Water Pumps

jaymart

First water pump replaced today by VW @ 31,500 2011 GTI
Hopefully holds up another 20k miles since i only put 5,000 miles a year on this car lol

DNAtured1

Based on similar threads posted, looks like I may be in for a water pump replacement as well. Noticed some fresh pink fluid spots on the garage floor over the last day or so. Just purchased the car a week ago, certified pre-owned (thank goodness). Just over 10k miles on the OD.

ducatiti

Ready to race!
'14 Wolfsburg with 5500 miles. Getting my water pump replaced with a BB revision as we speak. Looking to sell this POS.

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
Decided to contact a lemon law lawyer after my 4th pump failed. I'll let you all know how it goes :fighting0030:

DNAtured1

Decided to contact a lemon law lawyer after my 4th pump failed. I'll let you all know how it goes :fighting0030:

Good luck! Wonder if anyone else had pursued legal action, and if so, what was the outcome.

As a side note, I'm also curious as to what the warranty replacement rates are between "AT" and "BB" pumps.

Plinyyounger

Ready to race!

I have had experience with attorneys and car issues (specifically seat belts). My guess as soon as your lawyer writes the letter requesting replacement or reimbursement, that is exactly what you will get!

I'm betting the hassle will be minimal. More people should contact a specialty lawyer if they have had repeated problems like we do with the water pump. You will be surprised how easy it is. Normally, the auto manufacturer will also pay the attorneys fee's.

My guy didn't even ask for money up front, he reviewed the case and took it because he knew he would get what he asked for.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

Best of luck. Interested to see how this plays out.

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
Went out to start the car this morning and coolant light was on. Dropped it off and they replaced my pump for the first time. I only have 28k miles on the car. Service rep says the pump seems to fail after 18k miles.

So when is VW going to start paying us for lost time and money? Had my injector go a month outside of 3 yr warranty and had to have it towed. I'm lucky this time I topped off the coolant and drove it in.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
Went out to start the car this morning and coolant light was on. Dropped it off and they replaced my pump for the first time. I only have 28k miles on the car. Service rep says the pump seems to fail after 18k miles.

So when is VW going to start paying us for lost time and money? Had my injector go a month outside of 3 yr warranty and had to have it towed. I'm lucky this time I topped off the coolant and drove it in.

Write VWOA about this scenario and tell them the issue of lost time and ask for compensation. They won't just give it to you. ;)

BTW, a fellow MK6 owner I met told me they did just that, and was given compensation. I think you just have to be professional about approaching them on this subject to be taken seriously. My .02.

Good luck

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
When the injector failed they offered me a gift card for parts or maybe vw gear I forget. Wasn't much and I never bothered. It came no where near to compensating me for the lost time or how much the tow cost me. I love my gti but this will be my last vw.

zrickety

The Fixer
104k I'm finally buying a water pump but only because I need a $55 thermostat and I don't want to do this twice.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
that sparks an interesting question that may be hard for most folks to answer, but what's the service interval on our pumps? i know most cars replace theirs every 100k with their timing belt service.

zrickety

The Fixer
I don't think there is one. Run it to failure, which is 20k for some people. I wouldn't do it as preventative maintenance unless you are already in there.