GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat15: Sushi Now Made With Real Tuna - Not That Fast Food Tuna - Jaber Rejoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

03boostedGTi

Ready to race!
I have some distant family from my mother's side who came over here in the 50s and quite literally, "do nothing"... and are proud of it.

The daughter of one of my mom's cousins lives on a commune in Oregon. Collects welfare. Has 3 kids by 3 different dads. Disappears for months on end, leaving her kids "wherever" (sometimes with their respective father, sometimes with random family). Then randomly shows up at family functions boasting about getting "free money from the government", and preaching to everyone how we should "give more" and be like her and "live off the land" and, oh yeah, "Go Bernie!"

I've got another aunt (under my step-grandfather, so technically not related by blood) who has been living off of government aid since the 80s.

Waste of oxygen.

Same family that makes comments under their breath when they hear I've got a mid-1980s Porsche. "Gee, must be nice..."

*sigh*

I agree 100%, work for everything then you'll appreciate it that much more. If things get handed to you then there is so sense of pride. My car for example i clean it and take care of it like my first born, Vs people who have mom and dad buy cars they are all scratched and dinged and dirty.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yup. A lot of the rest of my family here in the US is very blue collar. They love to argue that it's "BS" that they work "just as hard, if not harder, since [they] don't sit behind a desk all day" and as such, should be paid the same.

They never grasp the concept that it takes more than just "hard work". There's 2 other parts of the equation: skill, and value.

You can bust your ass digging ditches all day long but in the end, all you did was dig a ditch - hence, no VALUE. You can be the most skilled, most amazingest ditch digger EVAR. So you got skills AND you worked hard. You still just dug a ditch. No value.

Nobody likes to hear that they are low-value though.

Just another POS politician. R or D, they all suck.

True on politicians - well, most. The funny thing was, she was of course dissing people on public aid, so that was ironic/comical. Reminds me of the anti-abortion senator / state rep who had to force his mistress, into having an abortion.

Agreed, most manual labor is nothing like what you, I, or flyingwallets do for an hourly wage, but i can bet they make more than the min wage and very well may be in an union, where at least they have that compared to many who do not. And those people, are the ones are tax dollars also go to, since their employers dont pay them shit, we are paying their welfare - its a cycle.

BlancpainGT3

Ready to race!
was working at 14.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
conversely, I know people who make a lot of money who are democrats/bernie supporters.

So do I.

Funny thing is, they're also the ones looking for tax credits, deductions, paying a fortune to hire CPA's to do their taxes every year, etc. then out the other side of their mouth proclaiming that we should "pay more" and "do more" to help the less fortunate.

I don't see them volunteering at soup kitchens, donating to homeless shelters, raising money for charities, or deliberately NOT collecting their tax refunds. It's always "Oh no, not me, someone ELSE should pay." Usually it's "the rich", not them, as they feel they're doing their part to "help" by preaching and proclaiming that others should actually be paying. As I know I've said here before, the term "rich" is always relative... to THEM, "the rich" are those making $500k/yr. But to the people in the street protesting, "the rich" include my Bernie-supporting friends at their $250k/yr. And it just goes on down the line.

I do have a few friends out in Seattle who are Bernie supporters and practice what they preach. My wife's best friend from childhood actually quit her marketing job to work for a non-profit charity. An old co-worker of mine, another die-hard Bernie supporter, also spends damn near every spare moment of her time volunteering in some regard.

At least they practice what they preach. I respect that. So clearly it's not ALL Bernie supporters.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
word. PTAK 2K16.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
True on politicians - well, most. The funny thing was, she was of course dissing people on public aid, so that was ironic/comical. Reminds me of the anti-abortion senator / state rep who had to force his mistress, into having an abortion.

Agreed, most manual labor is nothing like what you, I, or flyingwallets do for an hourly wage, but i can bet they make more than the min wage and very well may be in an union, where at least they have that compared to many who do not. And those people, are the ones are tax dollars also go to, since their employers dont pay them shit, we are paying their welfare - its a cycle.

Sounds like your co-worker was a piece of shit hypocrite.

And I used the ditch-digger as an easy to understand example. I see it even in my industry (white collar... marketing!) Basic entry level analysts who don't do much more than fill out Excel sheets claiming they should be making $200k because they "work just as hard as you do". Sorry, all you do is fill out Excel sheets. I can replace you with my 12 y/o. OR, if I get time, I'll just write a script to automate it completely.

Treading into dangerous waters... but unions... man... I'm certain that there is value in some cases. In others, I firmly believe they over-inflate value and skill parts of the equation to justify the rates and wages, and they get away with it via the typical intimidation and strong-arming tactics of strikes, etc.

Not everyone is entitled to a big screen TV and a shiny new car. Just the way it is. Some people are never, ever going to provide the value to society that will return enough to afford that new Maybach, no matter what you see on MTV.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
not to mention people that live with their parents well into their twenties. gtfo

Well, I could see having to do that to get back on your feet, paying of student debt, or saving for a house and such. I had to after the divorce. But if you're just living at home to supplement your toys (sports car/motorcycle etc.) well that's lame lol

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like your co-worker was a piece of shit hypocrite.

And I used the ditch-digger as an easy to understand example. I see it even in my industry (white collar... marketing!) Basic entry level analysts who don't do much more than fill out Excel sheets claiming they should be making $200k because they "work just as hard as you do". Sorry, all you do is fill out Excel sheets. I can replace you with my 12 y/o. OR, if I get time, I'll just write a script to automate it completely.

Treading into dangerous waters... but unions... man... I'm certain that there is value in some cases. In others, I firmly believe they over-inflate value and skill parts of the equation to justify the rates and wages, and they get away with it via the typical intimidation and strong-arming tactics of strikes, etc.

Not everyone is entitled to a big screen TV and a shiny new car. Just the way it is. Some people are never, ever going to provide the value to society that will return enough to afford that new Maybach, no matter what you see on MTV.

Just keep in mind, without unions fighting for a higher wages, non union folks would be making a lot less :thumbsup:

IBEW134

jgarcia1925

Go Kart Champion
What's more important, money or happiness?

Example: You're not happy at your current job, the pay is nice, but there's too much "drama". Do you leave to somewhere where you'll be making much much less, but be happy to go to work everyday? Or do you suck it up and try to deal with your current situation because the money is good.

Discuss.

A little late to the party since I wasn't checking up on here while I was in Boston over the weekend.

Well, for me I'll rather make more money. I recently got a job offer in a field I think I would enjoy more, but j got a job offer making 30k less than I was making before. That shit didn't cut it. I asked the dude if he could give me till Friday of last week to think about it. He said it was ok, and while I was deciding they ended up giving the job to someone else. A part of me wanted to try it out and "work my way up" but it's fucking hard being ok with losing 30k off the bat. I a greedy son of a bitch, and like to live a certain lifestyle. So I ended up being ok with it. I'll rather stick to jobs that I probably will always hate, but get better pay. Unless I'm my own boss, I'll never be "happy"

BobLobLaw

Go Kart Champion
Dang, I guess I'm one of those liberal-leaning folks that actually gives enough of a fuck to bust my ass at work, volunteer to help those in need, and happily pay my taxes. I get no tax refund (in fact I owe money every year despite my large withholdings), and I do my own taxes (shit's not that hard, da fuq is wrong with people). I honestly don't think I'm that big of an anomaly.

Status
Not open for further replies.