GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
If you want it to hold you really need the DAP Weldwood Landau. The regular contact cement will likely fail on you with any warm weather. I highly recommend that you don't take the chance, I've used the regular stuff for many custom car audio projects, and it's failed every single time, very quickly. The Landau version is made for high heat environments and will hold indefinitely.

Where do you get it from? Doesn't even look to be legal.

Last edited:

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Where do you get it from? Doesn't even look to be legal.

Haha, you MAY be able to get it at a local upholstery shop, but call around first. I was able to find it from one place locally, but most people have to order online. It is the right tool for the job though, it will hold. The regular weldwood contact cement will fail on you, and redoing it after you've put in all of the effort will be a real pain. You'll be happy that you spent a bit more money and took your time waiting for the correct product to ship.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Haha, you MAY be able to get it at a local upholstery shop, but call around first. I was able to find it from one place locally, but most people have to order online. It is the right tool for the job though, it will hold. The regular weldwood contact cement will fail on you, and redoing it after you've put in all of the effort will be a real pain. You'll be happy that you spent a bit more money and took your time waiting for the correct product to ship.

I gotcha, I know just the person to ask, but I'm not sure he'll have it. I couldn't find anything locally at stores, so we'll see. I wonder if grainger could get it for me.

I found 1 place to order it online but it had a $50 hazmat charge plus a shipping fee. It's almost $60 shipped from amazon so that's better, but I'd still like to pay less lol

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Found some at Grainger actually. Gotta love having a business account there. $32 for a gallon with no shipping fee.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Found some at Grainger actually. Gotta love having a business account there. $32 for a gallon with no shipping fee.

Nice! I promise that it's worth the extra cost/hassle over their regular contact cement (not that the regular stuff is a bad product, it's just not the right product). Mix it well, apply it nice and evenly (use a glue roller to spread it), follow the directions for set up time, and you'll never have to fix it again. Be warned that once you touch the pieces together they are stuck so use a barrier material to help control the fabric while you position it and stick it down.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Nice! I promise that it's worth the extra cost/hassle over their regular contact cement (not that the regular stuff is a bad product, it's just not the right product). Mix it well, apply it nice and evenly (use a glue roller to spread it), follow the directions for set up time, and you'll never have to fix it again. Be warned that once you touch the pieces together they are stuck so use a barrier material to help control the fabric while you position it and stick it down.

I gotcha. I heard of weldwood from a guy at work, but all he really said was get the thin stuff not the thick stuff. He suggested having a second person to help, and he offered his help if I brought it to work, so I might have to take him up on that. Thanks for the tips.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
bit the bullet and am treating myself... just bought a downpipe in the remaining hours of a black friday sale. 42DD 3" downpipe for me, woo!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
bit the bullet and am treating myself... just bought a downpipe in the remaining hours of a black friday sale. 42DD 3" downpipe for me, woo!

All down hill from here man...

Phur

Autocross Champion
That hoodie is badass! Nice find Vic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk