GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 03-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #15
Korydogg
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: '14 Drivers Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
There's no reason you can't use your old stuff, it's just probably worn out. If you get it all back together and your old mounts and bearings start squeaking and grinding, you have to do the entire job over again. So unless you have insanely low mileage on your current parts, it makes sense to go ahead and replace it all while you're in there.

Plus it's easier to use all new mounts, bearings, bump stops, and dust boots because you can build the new strut assembly before you start the job, and just swap it in without taking the old one apart.
Ok got it. Mine has 60K miles on it....so I cant imagine its worn out but I can see why it makes sense that i'd replace that stuff with the suspension kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
^^^ all that. I change my suspension every 6 months or so. New parts every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every six months? That seems a bit excessive to me....IMO. How much does that cost you?
Korydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #16
DASVDUB
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korydogg View Post
Ok got it. Mine has 60K miles on it....so I cant imagine its worn out but I can see why it makes sense that i'd replace that stuff with the suspension kit.

Every six months? That seems a bit excessive to me....IMO. How much does that cost you?
Haha well I go from summer suspension of lowered on H&R SS springs and koni oranges to Tiguan H&R lift springs for the winter. Costs $60 for the hardware everytime and an alignment.
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|custom straight pipe catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #17
TimS
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 Golf R
Jesus. And I'm over here getting tired of swapping between summer and winter wheels.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #18
DASVDUB
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Jesus. And I'm over here getting tired of swapping between summer and winter wheels.
Haha. I swap suspension, wheels and tires, and front bumpers every spring and late fall lol. Soon to be brake pads as well.
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|custom straight pipe catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|
Old 03-15-2018, 01:28 AM   #19
Korydogg
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: '14 Drivers Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
Haha. I swap suspension, wheels and tires, and front bumpers every spring and late fall lol. Soon to be brake pads as well.
Lol I am originally from Michigan so I get it. Those winters are fierce!
Korydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #20
DASVDUB
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korydogg View Post
Lol I am originally from Michigan so I get it. Those winters are fierce!
Yeah, they sure are. I got stuck one winter on stock suspension, sooooooo I went full retard lol.