GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice on clutch replacement

Russco

2013 Autobahn Edition, stock other than wheels/tires and the clutch failed at 26k. Actually the DMF started failing and I could tell something wasn’t right so when I took it in they said the clutch was showing bad wear. I could tell by the way it was acting the clutch wasn’t disengaging as it should (hard to shift when stopped ETC) but I never felt any bad slipping when driving it hard. I called VW of America and got them to agree to pay for the parts but my concerns are the stock clutches usually this bad? I don’t want to pay labor to put another clutch in that’s going to fail like that again. I tried getting them to cover the labor cause I would rather pay to have a better clutch and SMF but they wouldn’t have anything to do with that. So should I just risk the stock replacement again? I’ve got hot rods so this is really just my DD but it does see some spirited driving. How long typically would the service life of a stock clutch be? I read through the big clutch thread. Hell, I think I’m more confused after reading through that. What do you guys think? Risk the stock clutch again? What about just buying a better pressure plate and disc to go with the new DMF? What do you think. I’m not really planning on modding it in the future, but I’m also planning to retire at the end of this year and won’t be able to afford much out of the norm expenses after then either. Thanks in advance.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
That seems really early, even for the stock clutch. To my knowledge I still have the clutch from the factory in mine and i just broke 101k miles. Started to slip recently but thats because I was running a stage 2 tune. If you're stock then the stock clutch should be ok for your needs.

Russco

That seems really early, even for the stock clutch. To my knowledge I still have the clutch from the factory in mine and i just broke 101k miles. Started to slip recently but thats because I was running a stage 2 tune. If you're stock then the stock clutch should be ok for your needs.

That’s what I’m hoping too. I think the flywheel thing was just a freak deal. I’ve driven manual shift stuff my whole life it’s not like I ride the clutch or can’t drive a stick and tire it up. But I did recently run it up over 100 MPH. I would not think that would or should cause any damage as it (DMF) sees as many revs as that in lower gears but I’m worried now that it will happen again. They said the repair would be covered for 12/12.

davemanh2o

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like it's just a one off thing. Stock clutch is fine unless you plan on getting a tune in the future. But if VW is paying for it no need to spend your own money on an upgrade you don't need at this point.

davemanh2o

Passed Driver's Ed
Also I went to the drag strip with my car bone stock and clutch did just fine. It had normal wear when I eventually upgrade to the FX350.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
my clutch went to shit at 45k, friends gli went to shit at 20k. We both went with southbends stage 2 daily

JustinT

Ready to race!
Since you have other performance cars, just go back to OEM parts(since you want to stay stock). It seems really weird that your car stock would fail. My pressure plate cracked at 38K I believe, around there. But I also had a chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk