GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pre Road Trip Checklist?

Bill19751

Ready to race!
Taking a week-long trip from Dallas to Chicago in two weeks. I've never taken this car on a long trip before, so I'm wondering what I need to check. Car is a 2013 GTI 6mt. 97,000 miles (mostly highway) I'll be changing the oil and filter before leaving. Last weekend I rotated the tires, checked the axle boots and brakes, everything looked good. Everything else is up to date per the manual.

I do have a very small coolant leak that I can't locate, even with a pressure test. I'm taking it into the dealer in case it's the water pump (which has already been replaced once). Will also be getting an alignment done.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like you've thought of most things; the coolant thing would worry me though, it's good you're taking it in to the dealer before leaving. I wouldn't want to have a major leak develop on a road trip. Maybe keep a spare coilpack in the hatch just in case. :)

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'll add this to what has already been said. Carry a gallon of distilled water & a couple quarts of oil. Have a fun trip.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
oil up.

Bill19751

Ready to race!
Thanks guys, I figured I had it covered but wanted to check. I'm in the habit of keeping extra coolant and oil on hand already, spare tire is in good shape. I'll make sure to bring my breaker bar and VCDS cable as well. Just in case!

I'm visiting my sister in Columbia, MO, then up to Rockford, IL to see my mom, then to Chicago. I was born in the suburbs, but my dad and his family grew up in the city, I like visiting their old neighborhood in the Ukrainian Village and seeing the town when I'm there.

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
I ALWAYS keep a spare ignition coil in the back. I’ve got red R8’s but still ...

Also, and this sounds ridiculous but... we’re lucky in Dallas to have 93 octane. I had a hard time finding it in OK, MO, and KS the last time I drove to Michigan and then later to Nebraska. Your mpg’s are going to suck on the 91 or 89. Believe it or not, the STP octane booster really helped on my last trip. Like 24 mpg’s without vs. 31 mpg’s with it.

Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I ALWAYS keep a spare ignition coil in the back. I’ve got red R8’s but still ...a good move really though.

Also, and this sounds ridiculous but... we’re lucky in Dallas to have 93 octane. I had a hard time finding it in OK, MO, and KS the last time I drove to Michigan and then later to Nebraska. Your mpg’s are going to suck on the 91 or 89. Believe it or not, the STP octane booster really helped on my last trip. Like 24 mpg’s without vs. 31 mpg’s with it.

hmmmm

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29489

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I do long trip all the time (4 times a year) puncture repair kit, small tool kit with the basics (Torx and Hex bits) and a roll of white external use Gorilla tape (aka Duct Tape or Racers Tape if you have it) if you have a minor accident ie. bumper or something dragging or touching the wheel, the Police will NOT let you drive off if you can't secure the part from being a hazard. Do what Nascar does and tape it up!

... we’re lucky in Dallas to have 93 octane. I had a hard time finding it in OK, MO, and KS the last time I drove to Michigan and then later to Nebraska. Your mpg’s are going to suck on the 91 or 89. Believe it or not, the STP octane booster really helped on my last trip. Like 24 mpg’s without vs. 31 mpg’s with it.

Just something to consider.
Seriously, ...how much do you bring along for a long trip ?

To not hijack this thread, we should prolly leave this for another discussion. I don't dispute the fact that it works but having experienced mixing gas for racing, those bottles that they sell usually don't do sh!t. There is simply not sufficient quantity to affect the octane of a tank of gas by more than 1 octane number.

Just Saying

Last edited:

Bill19751

Ready to race!
I do long trip all the time (4 times a year) puncture repair kit, small tool kit with the basics (Torx and Hex bits) and a roll of white external use Gorilla tape (aka Duct Tape or Racers Tape if you have it) if you have a minor accident ie. bumper or something dragging or touching the wheel, the Police will NOT let you drive off if you can't secure the part from being a hazard. Do what Nascar does and tape it up!

Good idea, I have a small tool kit that I was given years ago. One of those multi screwdriver things with different driver, torx and hex bits, along with a pair of pliers and wire cutters. I usually keep that next to the spare.

Lazer 100

Ready to race!

Seriously, ...how much do you bring along for a long trip ?

To not hijack this thread, we should prolly leave this for another discussion. I don't dispute the fact that it works but having experienced mixing gas for racing, those bottles that they sell usually don't do sh!t. There is simply not sufficient quantity to affect the octane of a tank of gas by more than 1 octane number.

Just Saying

Depends on how far I’m going, and where. Some places are better than others. Usually a couple bottles per tank. Some are definitely garbage. The STP works well.

Bill19751

Ready to race!
Well, the dealer can't find any coolant leak, even though I've had to top it off twice since having the water pump replaced. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.