GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat17: Boosted Learns How To Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I have never used a phone mount in my car. What do you use Boosted? Clip on to air vent or stick on?

Is it for navigation purposes? Ease of access? Track apps?
*daily google maps for live traffic
*youtube,pandora (right there to skip music)
*text messages handfree, most you will ignore but sometimes will get the "you forgot your laptop at home" comment that youd never see in you pocket till at work
*not having a huge phone in pocket
*Torque app

Magnetic vent mount in both cars

Proclip here for my phone since I use it for navigation

Thats a good clip. Yeah i too use google maps to avoid traffic. Also dont like my phone buzzing about in pocket while im driving

nice to have right there infront of you, essentially a head unit.

phone mounts are pointless. Shouldn't be on your phone while driving anyways.

new glarus cruise great example for one

....its safer to have nav infront of you instead of 1 hand off the wheel tbh

you wouldnt keep a boost gauge in your pocket while driving would you?

I’m not on it to surf the interwebs . It’s purely for navigation

touch screen to change music as well

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
just did a google search on the edifice, not bad , they seem to run about $150 to $350 or so, definitely in my price range. Which model do you have looks like there are a lot of them. Have you ever tried a rubber or silicone band for daily wear - I like them better than leather as they don't irritate the skin when they get wet. stainless steel is nice but more for dressy occasions imo.

I have this one:

It came with a rubber strap, and I didn't like it. Swapped for a perforated black leather strap and it looks much better to me.

I get that the rubber is supposed to be "sports watch" but to me it just felt cheap.

I wear stainless steel band every day. I've never felt uncomfortable with it tbh.

Yeah the stainless doesn't bother me either.

I do have a leather strap watch doe.

I like watches, but to really collect timepieces you need money...lots of it. I don't have that lol. I have a Bulova Marine Star that my gf bought me last year, love it, wear it everyday. I have a Michael Kors watch that I'm not too happy with, but it looks nice...black leather band, rose gold bezel, black face. Also have a Seiko from my dad that has been around for years.

I really wanted to get into the whole watch thing, but again, it's only worth collecting actual timepieces and idk if I could ever see myself spending big money on a collection.

I don't "collect" them in the same way I don't "collect" cars. I have a few, but I have ones I like - like to look at, like to use.

If they wind up being worth more in the end, then great. Tho I don't anticipate selling my watches. They mean something to me. Casio = family, as it was a father's day gift. Tudor = celebration of paying down student loans. And my next watch, a Rolex, I've already decided will be to celebrate landing my VP title.

phone mounts are pointless. Shouldn't be on your phone while driving anyways.

My phone usually stays in my pocket - or absolute worst case, in the door pocket of the car. Phone mounts just look so 1990s tacky.

Jaber

Modero
Phone mounts FTL. Phones nowadays are way too big to go anywhere on the dashboard or windshield.

Mine stays in my pocket, unless I'm using CarPlay, then I plug it in and it goes in the slot under the headunit.

I'm still rocking my iWatch Series 1.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Phone mounts FTL. Phones nowadays are way too big to go anywhere on the dashboard or windshield.

Mine stays in my pocket, unless I'm using CarPlay, then I plug it in and it goes in the slot under the headunit.

All this. I have a phone mount that is in front of me, but my phone is so big that it takes up part of my view of the road :yikes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
All this. I have a phone mount that is in front of me, but my phone is so big that it takes up part of my view of the road :yikes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have the most odd phone mount ive ever seen craig, whoever came up with that design should be fired :laugh:

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Agree on the mounts looking tacky. I just throw it in my passenger seat.

I'll leave it on my lap if using navigation, but I really just look at the route and I can get pretty far without looking again.

Jaber

Modero
Agree on the mounts looking tacky. I just throw it in my passenger seat

Only downside to this, if you're ever in an accident, it will go flying and good luck finding it if it's a hard impact. When I was in the accident, I had my phone in the cup holder and it didn't go anywhere. But the tablet I have mounted to the rear headrest for my daughter went flying.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Only downside to this, if you're ever in an accident, it will go flying and good luck finding it if it's a hard impact. When I was in the accident, I had my phone in the cup holder and it didn't go anywhere. But the tablet I have mounted to the rear headrest for my daughter went flying.

can we never talk about "the incident" again.

made me mad for you tbh

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Well people suddenly hate ECS too... to the point where there's a whole FB group now dedicated to hating ECS. :iono:

Yeah. I didn't run either. Didn't trust the forecast. Showed up to coach and we had more instructors than students so I spent the day in the A/C talking to Shawn about some changes and improvements to the program. Should be some good stuff coming from LAPS in the future. :)

Now I'm signed up to run a PCA day at Autobahn this coming Friday, and the forecast has changed from bad to worse. Might be eating that day since I already paid, but I have 0 interest in running in the wet.

I've had a "dislike" for ECS for a while, and the shipping and customer service were my issues too. it is hilarious about that group etc, but seems somewhat "rightfully so". Also a damn shame about the Turner acquisition and all that happened there, but hence is capitalism.

oooooOOooo, can you give any backgroun on what the changes may be? I think they run a great program already, esp for the beginners and the classroom time.

Watches are an expensive hobby thats for sure. I cant attend a wedding without wearing one, doesnt feel right. :iono:

And i have no excuse for not going to laps day yesterday other than forgetting about the date. $220 is more than a doable price for full track autobahn day.

I feel like we talked about this but maybe Shawn will consider passengers for the advanced days? I know its a lot of behind the scenes things regarding insurance policies for those days though.

The best experience i had with laps is when they offered beer, burgers etc for their anniversary celebration. Skipped my last session and relaxed, was very nice after a hot day in the sun. Was good craft beer too.

oh wow, $220? did he lower the price? good stuff. I felt before that his prices were a tad on the high side, which discourages younger drivers, imho.

Yeah - it costs a little more than that once you factor in insurance.... but yes his price is definitely reasonable.

I buy the insurance - which means that I will "sit out" more events due to weather because the cost loss is greater... but I'm not willing to risk running without it.

Shawn's gotta watch the insurance and liability, and also keep it simple so it stays efficient. The hard and fast rule now is, "More than 1 person in the car? One of them MUST have instructor band." Otherwise it becomes too difficult for the starter person to police, and Shawn doesn't want to have to put a LAPS person there to monitor it.

I never "got it" when it came to expensive watches until, on a whim, I tried a Rolex Submariner on..... "ooooh ahhh" lol. The substantial weight, etc. just felt nice.

Rollie is still not in the cards for a while but I've since become more of an enthusiast. I splurged on a Tudor to congratulate myself for paying off my student loans, and have another cool watch (Casio Edifice) that was a gift from the wife. I flip between them depending on my mood as the Tudor is a SS band, and the Casio I put a nice leather band on. Both different feels.

I've never bought the insurance, but had looked into it. I think in your situation jim with such a nice car, and knowing how hard you are ddriving out there, its probably a good idea.

Does shawn legit get a break/lower insurance premium with that passenger policy? not bad. I wonder how substantial it is, because most groups do allow passengers in either all groups or all but beginner. Is Laps now no non-instructor passengers at all? i may have missed that.

I've been a part of that group for months. It's been around awhile and suddenly it blew up. 4k people joined in two days. crazy.

^ yeah, i got lumped into it too and then quit it later i think, was just silly.

I can't get on board with watches. I just don't get it honestly. I do at least recognize it and can understand how some people look at my car hobby and don't get that all the same.

To each their own. I have a cell phone in my pocket that tells time.

I've never liked wearing a watch tbh, but i see a lot of pretty fancy ones with work meetings, etc. Some guys go all out,a nd some are just obnoxious and in your face.

So, why even write this? #salty

^

^

Ive worn a watch for many years, way before cell phones were around. when I want to know the time I instinctively look towards my wrist not my phone. I feel something missing when I forget to wear it. Not into it as hobby or collector though.

EJ is always ONE STEP AHEAD!

lmao here we go again.

^

you made a pointless post. :iono: your response to jawn would be fine if you did a light hearted joke... unlike the last time.

^ no lightness in his heart, dude just comes out swinging with private info and lays right into you on the web. Brutal shit.

#unfriendgate2018

^

I’m not on it to surf the interwebs . It’s purely for navigation

^

I am able to slot my cell right in front of my gauges in my race van, otehrwise wife has some kind of pro clip type thing that is nice, but yeah, we only use for navi/gps.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I don't know how Gridlife hasnt had a major incident and/or fatality yet.. I really don't.

"You've done 5 track days? Want to be an instructor?"

wut.

plus the other events they do, time attack, etc. Amazing nothing terrible has happened yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.