GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tracking the Golf R

BongoML

Passed Driver's Ed
Well like eveybody in NA I'm still waiting for the Golf R :thumbdown:

I like to track my cars and I'm wondering if any fellow dubbers had the chance to track their Golf R seriously

When I say track I mean race track and not drag strip :happyanim:

I know there are some reviews out there (Golf R and S3) and have read them but I'm curious to know if any of you have actual experience to share

hows the car when pushed to its limits and can you compare it to other similar cars

cheers

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's AWD , so should be at least somewhat similar to the Evo, WRX, and STI, etc. AWD is great to pull you through the corners and "correct" any issues with just the gas pedal :lol:

BongoML

Passed Driver's Ed
hopefully yeah

I've been tracking my gti in a suby club for a year now (no vw tracking group here) :thumbdown:

I must say that the wrx sti are simply A-MA-ZING on a track :wub:

well above my modded gti :rolleyes:

I'm just curious to know if anyone had the chance to track them are maybe even compare them to other cars

kinda wish to have some input on how the car reacts before dishing out 40K$

cheers

BongoML

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow no replies...

No one tracks their Golf R??? :thumbdown:

Well in an attempt to give this thread a second breath hows the steering feel on the Golf R?

Can you adjsut via vagcom the steering assist value or is it locked-out?

cheers

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
there's not a lot of track rats on here, really... more on MKV. And the R isn't available in north america yet, so.... yeah....

dave-

Passed Driver's Ed
A couple of us aussies have had them out on the track. But I'm just a hack having fun so couldn't really give you comparisons to other cars.

BongoML

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice! :thumbsup:

I was starting to wonder if the Golf R was the right car for me since it seemed like no one tried it a the track... :confused:

How's the car handling? suspension, body roll, understeer, etc

Did you like the steering feel or was it to assisted and vague?

How did you like the feel of its awd in the curves?

How about the brakes?

Please share! :drool:

Pelle S

Nice! :thumbsup:

I was starting to wonder if the Golf R was the right car for me since it seemed like no one tried it a the track... :confused:

How's the car handling? suspension, body roll, understeer, etc

Did you like the steering feel or was it to assisted and vague?

How did you like the feel of its awd in the curves?

How about the brakes?

Please share! :drool:
I often track mine...
Twice a year at Nordschleife, and i drove a mkv gti before.
Handling is actually really good all the way, i have dcc with H&R springs and that good enough on the ring.
If you want it to roll less, ever if it rolls little now a set of anti rollbars from H&R would do the trick, the car understeers alot less than you think thanx to the lighter engine that r32 but it still is awd so brake enough before turn and focus on getting fast out of the corner instead.
The steering is not as sharp as the Megane RS because it is electric, but with the dcc is sharpens a bit in sport mode.....It it also to mention quite a heavy car never forget that, so with that in mind while you drive to the racetrack and then home again your ride will be alot better that most of the cars that maybe was faster than you on the track but just maybe=))))

My car has:
V-tech 322hp
K&N Panel filter
Rays Engineering exhaust cat back
Forge dumpvalve
Carbotech XP8 front and back
Motul RBF 600 brake fluid
H&R lower springs
standard tires for now
DSG ECS Tuning Extensions paddels

Nordschleife with only 10laps in my new car May this year under 8.32, but that was with my brother in the car and after the last corner out on the straight i let of the gas on idleing on 6h gear over gantry so...Under 8.30 is for sure next time. I struggel a little with the awd, i hit the throttle to late out of the corners because i´m used to my old mkv gti in the driving way and i loose a lot on that. With 72 corners on the ring you can guess what i can do on the time of 8.32=))))...

Hope this was useful for you...

Regards Pelle from Sweden

dave-

Passed Driver's Ed
The stock car with DCC felt really good on the track, even in the rain. I have since put in the H&R sways and will be going back to the same track in a few weeks to see how it compares.

Brakes did a good job considering the punishment I gave them. But have since put in slotted rotors, DS2500 pads and RBF600 fluid. I will remove the rear covers to help dissipate the heat and they should be great.

I don't really like the OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx GT tyres though