GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gunkata’s “S3” A3 2.0T Quattro K04 Build

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The TDI barely has enough power to drive 2 wheels. 4 wheels would be too much to ask... :laugh:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Why not just get the A3 tdi then? :laugh:

See below.... ;)

Pretty sure they do make a TDI quattro? the A3 "wagon" is really mostly an illusion.

Sorry, I should have said A3 TDI quattro MANUAL. I hate autos (don't carry how 'advanced' they are with sport and manual and paddles (and they don't put paddles on the TDIs, at least not the Jetta). To me, an auto is an auto is an auto. :D

Wife got the DSG in her new Jetta because A) it was the color combo she wanted :rolleyes: and B) they made us a deal on the car...probably since we had just bought the GTI the week before LOL She thought she would like the DSG for her commute in traffic, but she often comments that she misses her old 6 speed. lol

Can't wait to hear how that K04 sparks that gorgeous car up man. :D

EDIT: Just hit the Audi site to look at pricing and confirmed, they STILL do not mate the quattro with the TDI. TDI is FWD only, and only in S-tronic. They don't even make a TDI FWD with a manual gearbox :thumbdown:

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The TDI in the Audi is also mated to the DSG. FYI.

Swoope

Ready to race!
are you drunk^?? ;)

Oh, the Audi has its own "hatch pop" from the factory. that must be essentially what ECS sells to "convert" it on the GTI.

nope,

just buying a house has changed my disposable income for a while. am jealous.

am following your journey closely.. cant wait to hear track review.

beers

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
EDIT: Just hit the Audi site to look at pricing and confirmed, they STILL do not mate the quattro with the TDI. TDI is FWD only, and only in S-tronic. They don't even make a TDI FWD with a manual gearbox :thumbdown:

that's weird, so the Golf TDI is the platform you'd have to get then.

I am following your journey closely.. cant wait to hear track review.

beers

Tracking this car probably wont be till august or sept :( But i will have 2 or 3 days with it this summer.

Looking to get the VMR's on today and still debating the downpipe situation - run stock and APR turns down the file a bit, while still looking and sounding very OEM - dealer probably wont even notice the K04 from what I've heard, or just go and get a dp, but which one? i may stick with stock first and then see how it is, as an extra 100hp to the crank while sounding and looking quite stock, doesnt sound to bad at all... the DSG is very fast, and I can just get up and go in this car.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
As long as it is resonated and mated to the stock CBE, I bet no one will be the wiser.

I agree volume wise, but as soon as it goes up on the lift, a tech would notice the dp. My logic on retaining the stock dp is comparing it to the golf R with a stage 1 flash, should be close to 300hp at the crank right? and thats with the stock dp and a k04, yes?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
That is correct... for a second I was going to ask if you could just pull a DP off of an A3 ;) duh...

wonder if the S3 DP has the same part number...

Yeah, good point there - i'd have to check to see what i can find out, but im guessing the S3 DP is the same as the R's most likely.

Well, i may just run it stock dp and do the S3 intercooler and see how that setup goes. It may be safer with less boost anyway and definitely more under the radar. I'm actually surprised I havent gotten a ticket in this thing already.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Hey GunKata: I know you track your car so your brake requirements would be different. I also know you run the Stoptech 309 (I think).

For just a DD with no tracking, would you recommend the same Stoptechs (which I understand need repeated re-bedding) or the Centric PosiQuiet which Stoptech's site seems to suggest if one is not tracking.

I want something quiet and that won't chew up the rotors but with a bit more bite than OEM. Or perhaps OEM is as good as it gets for street use?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
[
Hey GunKata: I know you track your car so your brake requirements would be different. I also know you run the Stoptech 309 (I think).

For just a DD with no tracking, would you recommend the same Stoptechs (which I understand need repeated re-bedding) or the Centric PosiQuiet which Stoptech's site seems to suggest if one is not tracking.

I want something quiet and that won't chew up the rotors but with a bit more bite than OEM. Or perhaps OEM is as good as it gets for street use?

309 pads you mean? I ran them in the rear on the GTI and they were GREAT both street and track - really grabbed on the street , very noticeable when first put on. I will be getting another set for the Audi.

I think they are great for DD. But if not tracking at all, im sure the posi's are good and less dust, not that the 309s were that bad tho.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
[

309 pads you mean? I ran them in the rear on the GTI and they were GREAT both street and track - really grabbed on the street , very noticeable when first put on. I will be getting another set for the Audi.

I think they are great for DD. But if not tracking at all, im sure the posi's are good and less dust, not that the 309s were that bad tho.

Stoptech's site shows them as wearing rotors faster but they do offer better friction over the Posi's.
I guess if you're tracking it's less of an issue, but did you re-bed your 309s regularly?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
nope, not at all. I'm sure over time, the posi's are better for rotor wear, yes.

MKpoto

congrats john you crazy mofo

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
lol^ thanks dude.