GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much oil does your GTI burn?

Gen81

I also lost some oil in the first 5000km, like 3 quarters of a litre...i think it normal for the first 5000miles.

Geofux

Ready to race!
My mkv burns like a liter a month. :eek:

What kind of mileage do you do in a month though? The car could be parked and leaking for that period of time, or driven 10k miles.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
If you are concerned, track mileages and when you have had to top up the oil including how much oil you put in. This will help the dealer if you bring it in for your oil consumption issues.

No it won't, your measurements don't mean anything.

Wasn't that on the FSI engine only? I remember my FSI drank oil like a beast. My TSI barely takes sips.

That is the spec for all VW engines. They actually lowered the acceptable amount of oil consumption to 1qt per 1,200 miles, it used to be 1qt per 1,000 miles.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
3k on mine and zero oil burnt last time i checked. my friends cpo mkv gli burns 1.5 qt every 8-900 miles. hes on the oil comsuption test and by the looks of it will be getting some new hardware :)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Does this mean the new Rs have higher oil consumption still?

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
TSI motor, 52008 miles and not a drop.. and I drive it like a madman

I use Rotella T6 5w40

holbrook89

So, I know this is a bit careless of me, but I don't check my oil/fluids often in my GTI. I figure, it's brand new, should be good to go. So yesterday I was outside detailing it and I checked it and noticed the level is down to wetting just the very tip of the dip stick (that's what she said?). I'm assuming this is about 1 quart. None of my other cars have ever burned any oil, even when they had up to 240k miles. This one has 16k. Is this just normal for the TSI? I'll be adding some at lunch today.

I thought I heard something a while back about them burning a little bit of oil during the first few thousand miles. Maybe just getting broken in? But I could be completely wrong. And I would think at 16K it's plenty broken in by now.

I've got about 2500 miles on mine, I'll check it in a while and see where it's at. I wouldn't think it would be burning or leaking any oil period since its a brand new car. Kind of one of the points of having a brand new car...

I believe you are correct, if its down to the tip of the dipstick its down a quart. Double check the owners manual before you go dumping oil in it though :)

Another thought, probably a long shot, but any chance whoever did the most recent oil change didn't get it all the way full?

K0Z

Ready to race!
Check the owner's manual (page 227-232)

Page 231: "Your vehicle may consume engine oil depending on several variables. A maximum of 1 quart per 1,200 miles (1 liter per 2,000 km) would be considered normal. New vehicles may consume more oil over the first 3,000 miles (5,000 km)...If you believe your engine uses too much oil, we recommend that you consults your authorized Volkswagen dealer..."

Also page 229 tells you approximately how much oil you need to add based on the dipstick reading. Down towards the tip is about 1 quart.

Add some oil, wait a few minutes and check again. Once it is up to a normal level I'd take it to a dealer if you seem to be burning a lot of oil. You very well may have a leak, I'm thinking a bad seal somewhere, but I'm no mechanic. It's new and this is what warranties are for.

Colourwolf

Ready to race!
I drive 50Km (~30miles) Highway everyday with almost no city mileage.

My first oil change was at 8000Kms (5000miles), checked the dipstick before I took it to the dealership, the oil level were half way down.The owner manual did mention the engine will burn oil during the run in period though.

Car is currently at 11,000km, 3000km after the oil change, lost a tiny bit of oil. I guess the Canadian weather has something to do with it.