GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
DrMeta

Drives: 2013 Golf GTI manual
Post Revs not going down when I let up acceleration pedal

Hello all,

I have pretty new 2013 Golf GTI Manual. This is my first manual so I am paranoid about potential damage due to learning process. Obviously, its taken me a bit to learn the clutch and there are a lot of hills where I live.

My question is about revs. When the car is in gear, and I let the gas off, the revs don't seem to come down very fast until I break. Is that normal? I am paranoid I screwed up my clutch due to n00b learning process. Car has under 500 miles on it.

Any peace of mind or knowledge on normal behavior would be nice

Thanks,

DrMeta
DrMeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
Sounds normal to me.
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
samuelmk666
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2015 S
that's normal because you are in gear the engine is slowing you down and the rpms wont drop instantly
samuelmk666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Gti For Me
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI APR K04 V.3.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMeta View Post
Hello all,

I have pretty new 2013 Golf GTI Manual. This is my first manual so I am paranoid about potential damage due to learning process. Obviously, its taken me a bit to learn the clutch and there are a lot of hills where I live.

My question is about revs. When the car is in gear, and I let the gas off, the revs don't seem to come down very fast until I break. Is that normal? I am paranoid I screwed up my clutch due to n00b learning process. Car has under 500 miles on it.

Any peace of mind or knowledge on normal behavior would be nice

Thanks,

DrMeta

Well not to scare you in any way

First time driving a manual,I'll give you 2000 miles give or take alittle more and the clutch will be toast.
THE #1 BBK KIT WITH A GREAT PRICE AND THE ANSWER IS V-MAX V-MAXX V-MAXX..............GET IT TO YOUR THICK HEAD OR SHOW ME PROOF THEY ARE CRAP
Gti For Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
DrMeta

How much are clutches / will my warranty cover it?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
Quick question.....
How come you didn't get a cheap beater to learn? I would never risk tearing up a brand new car learning to drive manual. Smh.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
Quote:
Generally they will not be covered unless there was a manufacturing defect.
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
DrMeta

Obviously would have been a better choice in retrospect. No point in regretting my decision, might as well make the best of it and try to make the best choices from here on out. Clearly I realize that would have been a better way to go from my original post, so chastisement isn't really constructive at this point.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
GOBbluth
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI. White, nav, 6mt
Quote:
Obviously would have been a better choice in retrospect. No point in regretting my decision, might as well make the best of it and try to make the best choices from here on out. Clearly I realize that would have been a better way to go from my original post, so chastisement isn't really constructive at this point.
Don't worry about it. Be disciplined about learning,be passionate, and have a patient instructor and you will be fine. even if you can already get from point a to point b, an experienced stick shift driver can help you stop bad moves that may become habits.

Ppl act like its rocket science, its not. It's the default in every other country in the world. I recall learning at 14. I was passionate about it bc, to me, nothin was cooler than driving at the time and my dad always insisted we learn with stick first. Smooth shifting was almost a matter of pride and I don't remember beating the car up too badly. Probably not at all within a few weeks.
GOBbluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
mattdibart
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '13 GTI 6sp MT
I learned how to drive manual picking up my 2012 Golf off the lot. I am not at 25,000km with 0 issues. Take it slow and you will be fine
mattdibart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
twistid
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 Carbon GTI
A brand new GTI is not the car to learn stick, the curve is not linear and the clutch is adequate at best. That being said, I would start saving for a replacement clutch and enjoy your car !
twistid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
Gti For Me
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI APR K04 V.3.1
Quote:
VW may cover it for the first time if your mileage is very low but don't tell them that,Im sorry but this is my first time driving a manual but serious if you take your time and DON'T panic you be OK.
THE #1 BBK KIT WITH A GREAT PRICE AND THE ANSWER IS V-MAX V-MAXX V-MAXX..............GET IT TO YOUR THICK HEAD OR SHOW ME PROOF THEY ARE CRAP
Gti For Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
smrtypants44
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 135i
That is just the way manual transmissions work.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTX2867 GTi Autobahn 6mt
In a traditional autobox with a non lock up tq convter the rpms will drop to idle while coasting. This doesn't in a manual because the clutch is a direct link to the drivetrain and will keep the motor spinninh while coasting.

Tags
clutch, manual, revs