GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car will not go into gear

JustinT

Ready to race!
Hi guys, I own a 2013 GTI. I bought it with 27,000 miles and now have 41,600 miles (roughly). The car has a Neuspeed Power Module and intake, stock shifter. So, I was coming to a stop sign today and put it into neutral, I then proceeded to put the car into gear and noticed it would not go into any gear and would lock me out at the entrance. So, sitting in my neighborhood I decided to turn off car and it went into gear fine. So, I pushed in the clutch and drove home in second gear. The clutch grabs fine, no weird sounds, still light as usual. The car will go into gear when it is OFF, but will not when the car is on. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I saw some people on the forum say the clutch is bad, pressure plate, slave cylinder etc. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sauce118

Ready to race!
sounds like the slave cylinder needs bled and unfortunately I have had bad experience bleeding the slave cylinder in the tranny after install. I know people say you can do it, but when I replaced the clutch on my car I had to take the slave cylinder back out after putting everyting back together (lesson learned) and bench bled it. It worked like a champ from there on out. Not sure how you got air in the lines, could be a bigger issue, but that is def some of the problem.. I had the same exact issues when I was going through was I explained above. People told me to keep bleeding it and I tried for days, with no luck.. I could get it into second but had to put wayyyy more pressure than should normally be applied.

JustinT

Ready to race!
sounds like the slave cylinder needs bled and unfortunately I have had bad experience bleeding the slave cylinder in the tranny after install. I know people say you can do it, but when I replaced the clutch on my car I had to take the slave cylinder back out after putting everyting back together (lesson learned) and bench bled it. It worked like a champ from there on out. Not sure how you got air in the lines, could be a bigger issue, but that is def some of the problem.. I had the same exact issues when I was going through was I explained above. People told me to keep bleeding it and I tried for days, with no luck.. I could get it into second but had to put wayyyy more pressure than should normally be applied.

Thanks bud, I just had a shop complete the job.
I has a Stage II BFI Clutch put in, and it replaced Throwout Bearing, Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywheel, and bolts.
Works really well!

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Thanks bud, I just had a shop complete the job.
I has a Stage II BFI Clutch put in, and it replaced Throwout Bearing, Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywheel, and bolts.
Works really well!

nice man.. glad you were able to get it straightened out.. it took me an extra two days to re-do my clutch job.. like I said before.. lesson learned.. I will always bench bleed my slave cyl.

JustinT

Ready to race!
nice man.. glad you were able to get it straightened out.. it took me an extra two days to re-do my clutch job.. like I said before.. lesson learned.. I will always bench bleed my slave cyl.

Yeah man thank you!
But I can imagine, looks complicated from a new stand point. I don't even have the tools to complete the job..