GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS Tuning Oil Catch Can Catching Only Oil

danman1280

Hi All,

I know the title is a little weird. For the past couple of months my ECS Oil Catch can has been catching straight oil. Like, only oil. It also fills up more frequently. Before, during the summer I would maybe have to empty it once or twice. Now its like every other week and it would also be that brown mixture of water and some oil.

Lately, it's been filling up with straight oil not water. Just black oil. Has anyone had this happen? And if so, what was the issue? I checked to make sure that the baffles were in the right position and they are. Nothing has changed with my car it runs fine, no codes or anything.

Thanks for the input.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Put the PCV hose connection back on from the PCV to the intake manifold, you'll thank me.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I've had this kit and tested several things, you need the vacuum source for the OEM PCV to operate properly, otherwise you're burning oil and collecting oil in the can.

I've had that hose blow off on me on more than a few occasions...do you strictly use oem parts for that? Not sure why the connection doesn't hold well under boost for me.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I run the OEM connection from the PCV front to the intake manifold, granted I have an audi all road manifold now with different PCV connection but the PCV in general needs vacuum and boost to operate the check valve correctly. without the boost/vacuum reference, crankcase pressure builds and oil burns and oil collects in the can (this ECS can).

zef

Drag Racing Champion
That probably explains why my car was randomly spewing blue smoke at my last autocross event. My ECS can is usually full by the end of the day. I'll have to try that out, thanks.

kglewis1

I second this solution. After a couple weeks of headaches, I came to this same conclusion. Leave the intake hose in place. The con to this is the PCV valve is now susceptible to failing again. But the pro is your car runs correctly so.

I have been getting weird almost intermittent idle surge, and I suspect the cause is the PCV to intake hose. It seems loose, almost like it could just fall off sometimes. Does anyone have any thoughts?

beetlegreg

Ready to race!
i have a can on my TSI without the hose connected to the intake and it works fine. The owner said his worked okay before but now it fills--something changed ? PCV bad or rear main seal or ??

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
My ECS can has worked as it should since I installed it. I like the fact that the ECS can eliminates the intake boost from blowing out the rear main seal when the PCV goes bad.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
I run the OEM connection from the PCV front to the intake manifold, granted I have an audi all road manifold now with different PCV connection but the PCV in general needs vacuum and boost to operate the check valve correctly. without the boost/vacuum reference, crankcase pressure builds and oil burns and oil collects in the can (this ECS can).

How can the ESC build pressure when there is no boost to the PCV and the rear outlet on the PCV is always open with no restriction to vent to the air intake fitting?

kglewis1

My ECS can has worked as it should since I installed it. I like the fact that the ECS can eliminates the intake boost from blowing out the rear main seal when the PCV goes bad.

So how often is you can filling up? My car was in the shop for two weeks and they couldn't find anything wrong. I just had my transmission swapped so my rear main is good, I just swapped the pcv so that's good, I had a smoke test done and there's no vacuum leaks. But I still have something going on with the idle surge and it's driving me nuts. I've done lots of research and I'm 100% not the only one, but it seems like most of the time this particular issue goes unsolved when reported. So I just don't know...

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
Most of the time I empty my can every 7-10 days and there is aprox 1-2 inches of a mixture of water and oil
( mostly water)

You can start your car without the MAF sensor plugged in (and drive if you want) and if the idle surge goes away you may want to clean or replace your MAF. If you unplug the MAF and start or drive the car you will want to clear any error from the unplugged MAF.

Last edited:

beetlegreg

Ready to race!
Basic-there are 2 paths for pcv 1 when under vac condition you are using the intake path, 2 when under boost you are using the rear pcv as turbo spools it creats a suction on rear hose. there is a couple of checks in the pcv unit when they go bad or leak they allow boost pressure to flow from intake to crankcase. can you say rear main leak.

you can install an extra check valve external in intake pipe. Also know that when the temp drops from summer to colder conditions there is a lot of condensation-water vapor collected in the can especially during stop and go driving