GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter tires

Cannon03

Ready to race!
^^^IMO - I would opt for the alloys. Definitely worth the extra costs. You have such a nice car, why ruin it with cheap steel wheels?

Kevandra

Ready to race!
205/55R16. That's the stock 16" size for VW tires. You won't rub.

Hi there,

New to the GTI world, doing a little research on winter tires for my new 2011 GTI with 18" summer tires on it. I'm a fan of Hankook Winter i-Pikes. Has anyone installed these on the GTI? Cold, icy Canadian conditions here.

Is the 205/55/R16 quoted above the dealer suggested size for this car?

Thanks.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Hi there,

New to the GTI world, doing a little research on winter tires for my new 2011 GTI with 18" summer tires on it. I'm a fan of Hankook Winter i-Pikes. Has anyone installed these on the GTI? Cold, icy Canadian conditions here.

Is the 205/55/R16 quoted above the dealer suggested size for this car?

Thanks.

Hankook iPikes are great, have a couple of friends who swear by them. The W300 Icebears might be a better tire, as they are the performance tire version and will retain the GTI's liveliness. That is, if you're not facing deep, deep snow.

mrtn

Ready to race!
205/55/R16 Hankook iPikes are what I'm using, havent put them on yet but they are on the wifes car. Nothing bad to say about em.

surrealchemist

Ready to race!
I'm thinking I might get the 16" MSW type 16 (ones with the red stripe around the edge)

Though if you get a cheap set of steel wheels you could paint em crazy colors or something and if you don't like it they were cheap anyway.

Kevandra

Ready to race!
I'm thinking I might get the 16" MSW type 16 (ones with the red stripe around the edge)

Though if you get a cheap set of steel wheels you could paint em crazy colors or something and if you don't like it they were cheap anyway.

I think those would look pretty sweet, definitely better than a cheap steelie.

Kevandra

Ready to race!
205/55/R16 Hankook iPikes are what I'm using, havent put them on yet but they are on the wifes car. Nothing bad to say about em.

So, if I'm running the 18's for summer, I should drop two sizes to a 16? Just for clarification...

Kevandra

Ready to race!

Has anyone had experience with DUNLOP SP WINTER SPORT M3. I have a line on a gently used set at a good price. I don't know much about them...

Thanks.

coreypgh

Passed Driver's Ed
I live in Texas so I really don't this stuff but why does wheel size matter in the weather

The way it was explained to me:

Imagine you have a stick of butter (metaphor for snow) and a butter knife (your wheel/tire). If you take the butter knife and turn it on it's side and try to press it into the butter (width-ways), it's difficult. If you push the butter knife in normally, it slices the butter really easy.

Thus, in snow, wide wheels = bad. :thumbsup:

Dee1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks - I'll be looking at 195/55R16 or 205/55R16 with
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3.

I was running the "numbers" and the 15's were a perfect 25" diameter, but the devil is in the "total" fit.

Dave

205/50/17 sizing also give a 25" diameter, which is why I'm considering that 17"-wheel sizing for winter tires.

mrghost

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not so much as the wheel size (e.g. 16 vs. 17 vs. 18) that will help with snow, it's the width of the tire that matters (e.g. 225 vs. 205). The thinner tire, the easier it is to drive through snow.

I always think of it as: wide tire = snow plow, skinny tire = snow knife...