GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally happened... sagging headliner on my 2011 GTI.

Uberryan

Banned
I called VWoA and opened a claim with them about the headliner and told them I had the same issue with my '07 GTI which he was actually able to see in the system.
He mentioned that it is common in hot states like Texas and Florida due to the foam and that's the reason they did away with the foam on the new Jettas. He definitely seemed aware of the issue but still didn't know how much help they would provide if any. Waiting to hear back.

If they don't cover it I'll probably have the headliner and pillars redone with alcantara. Give it an Audi RS-esque look.

The fact that they obviously are aware that this is an issue, or at least a rep is and made that clear, and that they rectified this issue on newer models means they may be responsible for previous models where this is a problem. I would bring that up.

clownish

just clowning around
I would imagine that if you have this issue, even if you replace the dropping fabric by regluing you will still have problems with the foam underneath the new adhesive and fabric and have to redo this again in a few years. Might be worth it to replace everything in one shot.

Like taking out the dash, the headline is a huge pain in the butt to DIY because it's such a large fitted piece. Knock on wood that up here in Ohio we don't get this problem but my buddy's 08 mk5 is currently sagging really badly. Hopefully my 08 and my 13 golf don't have the same issues!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I also tried going through VWOA a few months ago but didn't do any good. I figured at least this way if there is a recall some day maybe I can get my money bank because there's record of the issue.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
I also tried going through VWOA a few months ago but didn't do any good. I figured at least this way if there is a recall some day maybe I can get my money bank because there's record of the issue.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

What did you end up doing? Leave it be or take it to an upholstery shop?

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
What did you end up doing? Leave it be or take it to an upholstery shop?

Took it to an upholstery shop. I tried living with it but after a while i got tired of the cheap look and it gradually started to sag more.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Update: heard back from VWoA and they are covering the repair 100%.

Uberryan

Banned
What did they say the process was.? I just hit 48k miles in my '13 gti, and its sagging bad. Started around 29k miles

I would hope they would goodwill it for you since you're still in some part of the warranty. You can complain to the dealer, or just talk to VWOA directly on their site and see what they can do. The mess is on them, but be warned, any future attempts to have them cover out of warranty expenses will be judged based on how much they've assisted you already... IE paid for this on goodwill.

zrickety

The Fixer
I've recovered the headliner on the 09...it's not a terrible job but expect a few hours of your time. New (superior) material and glue is about $60 or so, just requires scraping off the old foam from your existing headliner. Then cut your various openings and reinstall. I've heard of mobile upholstery repair for about $300, I would consider that if they were near me.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'm gonna finally redo mine later this year once it starts to cool down around Oct/Nov. It's been sagging for at least a couple years now.

VW wasn't gonna do anything for me. All they said was here you go, call this guy and mention us and he'll give you a discount.

There's an upholstery guy my familys business has given a ton of work to, so I'm just gonna pull the headliner out myself and have him upholster it for me. Last time I asked he said he'd do it for free for me, but that was a couple summers ago.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
What did they say the process was.? I just hit 48k miles in my '13 gti, and its sagging bad. Started around 29k miles

I probably would have taken it to the dealer at 29k miles if I would have been in your shoes seeing that your Bumper to bumper would have covered it then.
The process wasn't too hard. Called them and explained to them that my headliner is starting to sag, they told me to bring it to the nearest dealer and have it checked out. Dealer checked it out, VW called back a week later and said they'll cover it 100% for being a loyal customer. They saw in the system that I used to have an '07 GTI (with the same issue that they covered as well) and that both vehicles were exclusively dealer maintained. I think that goes a long way in them covering repairs outside of the warranty period.

Uberryan

Banned
Welp... guess what. Headliner just turned 3 years old and it's sagging in the exact same spot as before. I glued it for now, but yeah, it's going to obviously get worse. I hate this cheap garbage. How much did you guys pay to redo the headliner aftermarket?

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Welp... guess what. Headliner just turned 3 years old and it's sagging in the exact same spot as before. I glued it for now, but yeah, it's going to obviously get worse. I hate this cheap garbage. How much did you guys pay to redo the headliner aftermarket?

$350 at an independent upholstery shop. VW wanted almost $1,000 because they replace the whole headliner part, not just the fabric.