GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat 18: CAR MODS GALORE; CAR PROBLEMS GALORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Before I dive into the other stuff - srs question: Anybody got a referral for a good no bullshit sales guy at Autobarn in Evanston? Not for me (honest), asking for a buddy. I don't have any VW contacts anymore.

Ok I am willing to be corrected here.

Last track event I did in a VW was my old Mk4 with Porsche BBK. I had all kinds of brake issues (Ate SuperBlue, Hawk "plus" something pad... all "meh" stuff, I'm well aware, but I ran out of brakes within 2 laps). However, there was another guy there, also in a Mk4 GTI. He had stock calipers, but good fluid and pads. Talking to him - he had zero issues.

So I'm willing to be totally wrong on my suggestion. And excellent point about them being floating calipers w/single piston.

The big problem with the MK6 platform, at least in the golf and the GTI, is that there isn’t any brake ducting, or any easy way to route it. There’s an evap canister or some shit in the way on the passenger side. Same with the MK2 Audi TTRS, which coincidentally is built on the same platform. Audi put 380mm brakes on it and it still burned them up at the track. Their fix was control arm mounted, air scoops, or diverters, which help, but aren’t a substitute for a real cooling duct.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
The big problem with the MK6 platform, at least in the golf and the GTI, is that there isn’t any brake ducting, or any easy way to route it. There’s an evap canister or some shit in the way on the passenger side. Same with the MK2 Audi TTRS, which coincidentally is built on the same platform. Audi put 380mm brakes on it and it still burned them up at the track. Their fix was control arm mounted, air scoops, or diverters, which help, but aren’t a substitute for a real cooling duct.

I'm going to hack my shit up making some ducts. bye fog lights :(

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie

The factory Porsche stuff is just scoops mounted to the control arms, too. Even on the GT3's and Turbo's.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
ChiChat 18: "How Many Times A Day Does Your Animal Poop?" Chat

The factory Porsche stuff is just scoops mounted to the control arms, too. Even on the GT3's and Turbo's.

Yeah, and they were designed from the beginning to be that way. You can see from the design there way a lot more thought put into them. People modify them and put them on the GTI as well. The Audi ones are a cobbled together “whoa shit people are pissed” rushed piece of plastic. It’s literally a rectangle with a slight lip and two tabs for a screw on the back. Definitely, the aerodynamic engineering that was put into the Pcar ones.

Not to mention the pcar brake bias is way different

TTRS

GT3

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie

I mean that would be the best way for sure if it’s an NFG track car

If you spend time you can probably get pretty neat and tidy.

My 944 Turbo, I swapped the big fogs up front for brake ducts. I found a NACA duct that fit the hole (with some trimming), had it painted black to match.

How it looked originally (not my car):

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Ok I am willing to be corrected here.

So I'm willing to be totally wrong on my suggestion. And excellent point about them being floating calipers w/single piston.

Admitting youre wrong or correcting your opinion is a noble and rare occurrence in 2019. Bravo sir. Just like you changed my mind on Iracing

If you spend time you can probably get pretty neat and tidy.

My 944 Turbo, I swapped the big fogs up front for brake ducts. I found a NACA duct that fit the hole (with some trimming), had it painted black to match.
Beautiful generation of cars...not sure who came up with the original body lines of the car first but RX7 and supra very similiar in this generation.

Can confirm. Even with SRF, carbotech XP10, etc all around. Yeah brakes were fading still part of the way through a track day. I’d say probably 3 sessions in out of 7.
Depends on track and driving still too , but good to note.
Sleep, eat, play, repeat, the good life.
Hopefully the rain washes it this weekend. For the backroads I use the white color, BRIGHT AF, can see everything on RT20. Not even sure which of the two strobe modes I had it on lol.
Really sharp white color, intense yellow as well.

Could really use those at a HPDE for someone not moving out of the way amirite? lol

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
DSG is better than MT. Downshifts are perfect every time and no human lag with shifts. MT vs DSG. GO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
DSG is better than MT. Downshifts are perfect every time and no human lag with shifts. MT vs DSG. GO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facts dont care about feelings.

^ you are 100% correct.

But when it comes to feelings before facts, im sorry but MT wins all day everyday by miles.

Trying to stir up a debate, im onto you
:dnftt:

WHERE MY CVT BOIS AT!?
:iono:

rightheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
It's been a long day so far. Shop texted me this morning saying my car will be ready today and they'll text me when I can stop by. That was almost 4 hours ago and the suspense is killing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.