GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone had the rear main seal replaced? Leaks?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

I was under my car doing a DSG change and noticed some fluid between the trans and motor. There were no drips and it was dirty, so it may not be a major issue right now, but definitely on the radar.

I 'm wondering if anyone has any photos they could post up of what it looks like for comparison.

Thanks!

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
check your pcv and make sure you have the latest revision. and yes its a known issues and there is another company that makes a bad ass replacement. i think it INA or something like that.

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
You could also spray some brake klean up there while the engine is idling. If idle increases not only is it leaking but also sucking in air (lean faults).

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Anyone have a link to this upgraded part?

Doing the LSD install soon as well and might as well upgrade.

blackgold

Ready to race!
My rear main seal went out a few months ago.. I found the aftermarket part through DAP. WOW that piece is impressive holding it up next to the oem "seal". How can you go wrong with billet??? haha My mechanic was pretty impressed with it as well. I don't know for certain but assumed my PCV failed creating excess pressure which blew out the seal so I did the PCV too.
Brian

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I added this recently, Albert you should as well. I have photos up on IG @becauseHYDE16
Looking into it for sure. It doesn't seem THAT much more than OEM, so good for peace of mind.

My rear main seal went out a few months ago.. I found the aftermarket part through DAP. WOW that piece is impressive holding it up next to the oem "seal". How can you go wrong with billet??? haha My mechanic was pretty impressed with it as well. I don't know for certain but assumed my PCV failed creating excess pressure which blew out the seal so I did the PCV too.
Brian
My PCV failed recently, but I'm not sure how long it was bad for. Could have been thousands of hard driven miles :\

11gti718

Ready to race!
I replaced mine this year when I changed my clutch. Mine wasn't leaking but replaced it for peace of mind. Heres are the only pictures I took. I replaced it with the upgraded part. Definitely better quality. Top picture is upgraded RMS installed and bottom picture is old RMS.

11gti718

Ready to race!
Interesting. I had 2 pcv's blow on me so I have been considering replacing the rms as well. I assume the job is about the same labor as a clutch install eh?

Yeap. RMS is right behind the clutch. Transmission has to come down.