GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

U102F CEL help!!

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
Neither could I. I guess I have to shell out $300 for a new radiator and sensor.

I had to buy a brand new one a few months ago after mechanic broke the probe on the sensor during FMIC install. Based on the google search the only place where you can buy standalone sensor without the radiator is in Russia, go figure why. Russian GTI model is different from CBFA and are not required to adhere to same strict emission standards.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
I had to buy a brand new one a few months ago after mechanic broke the probe on the sensor during FMIC install. Based on the google search the only place where you can buy standalone sensor without the radiator is in Russia, go figure why. Russian GTI model is different from CBFA and are not required to adhere to same strict emission standards.

but it worked right? you bought a new radiator and the CEL never came back?

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
but it worked right? you bought a new radiator and the CEL never came back?

That's right. Though I made some changes before attaching new sensor to the radiator. The radiator and sensor are separate in the box. VW designed this thing in the ways that once sensor is attached to radiator, it's virtually impossible to remove sensor without breaking the probe (some members were lucky in doing just that). I used this opportunity to drill out threads/barbs in the hole where sensor probe goes, so if needed I can remove sensor without braking the probe if need to. I used thermal paste to ensure the heat transfer since the hole is now slightly larger. It has been 5 months now, no CEL and no issues so far.

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
I will be in Russia this July, maybe I should just pick a few of these standalone sensors to help a few members not to spend money on the new radiators.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
I will be in Russia this July, maybe I should just pick a few of these standalone sensors to help a few members not to spend money on the new radiators.

Please do!

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
That's right. Though I made some changes before attaching new sensor to the radiator. The radiator and sensor are separate in the box. VW designed this thing in the ways that once sensor is attached to radiator, it's virtually impossible to remove sensor without breaking the probe (some members were lucky in doing just that). I used this opportunity to drill out threads/barbs in the hole where sensor probe goes, so if needed I can remove sensor without braking the probe if need to. I used thermal paste to ensure the heat transfer since the hole is now slightly larger. It has been 5 months now, no CEL and no issues so far.

great, might honestly pick up a radiator from a junk yard. what are the odds it would have the same issue?

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
great, might honestly pick up a radiator from a junk yard. what are the odds it would have the same issue?

There are not that many people who have issues with the sensor as you might think. Most of the people like me broke it by accident during installation of FMIC.
So i think it should be safe to pick one up from a junk yard, but make sure that sensor is physically OK.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
There are not that many people who have issues with the sensor as you might think. Most of the people like me broke it by accident during installation of FMIC.
So i think it should be safe to pick one up from a junk yard, but make sure that sensor is physically OK.

yeah no one that i know has this issue, just me :)

goose1

Ready to race!
Well I got my sensor installed, turns out the older one which I assume is for a mkV has a shorter wire

If I had time I would have picked up some connectors and made a proper extension but I spliced in some wire from the bad one. Turns out the wire was crushed causing the intermittent short. No idea when this could have happened ad my car has been to multiple dealerships and has had some front end damage both from Street parking and hitting snow berms at speed., either way it was enough to get rid of the CEL and let me pass inspection.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

goose1

Ready to race!
The one I installed was 8P4965873A and the one that was on the car originally was 873B

rs999

Go Kart Champion
So I guess the question for me is should I replace the radiator and sensor to cure my CEL or get DG springs and Bilstein B8 sports installed?

I have an upcoming track day and I want to take some of the body lean out. Also, this CEL isn't causing any performance or driveability issues even with 20 minutes of hot lapping. Plus, I still pass state and track inspection with it on :)

goose1

Ready to race!
If you don't have to pass inspection any time soon, don't worry about it, even the dealer said it has absolutely zero effect on drivability, although I would suggest picking up a cheap obd2 reader to make sure that is the only code being thrown