GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI on race tires (slicks)

onefastGTI1

Ready to race!
My first event this year will be in June so we'll see (I just installed it over the winter). I only tripped the light once last year between 2 events, but i fixed that by adding oil and finished out the weekend by checking levels every session. The feeling that I felt when I saw the light on and limped back to the paddock was horrible, so I got the accusump as soon as I got back.

If you had some warning when you're close it would be way better, but no oil pressure gauge from the factory puts you at severe risk of hitting the limit without warning, because all you're focusing on is getting faster lap after lap and it's bound to happen. If you're not paying attention and stay in it, it'll ruin everything. i immediately lifted and straightened out the steering wheel almost going off the track just to prevent any damage and got very lucky imo.

aw man this makes me reconsider not tracking till next year. I don't think I can last with the Re-71r which is more grippy than d2 Starspecs.

Kern, where would you recommend mounting the accusump if the battery isn't relocated yet?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
aw man this makes me reconsider not tracking till next year. I don't think I can last with the Re-71r which is more grippy than d2 Starspecs.

Kern, where would you recommend mounting the accusump if the battery isn't relocated yet?

under the core support or under your intake/headlight

All right then I will just run my old 245/40R17 R888

Is there a way to pickup the oil pressure through a Bluetooth device like ELM327 ?

thats a 100tw tire lol. but you should be able to pick it up through the torque app. i have a carjoying headunit on its way just for that reason.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
So the right way to resolve this via an Accusump or APR OPS?

If this is the main hurdle to making this car reliable at the track, it's not so bad. I'm fairly certain there are Porsche's that have this same exact problem.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i mean it all depends but most cars have simpler solutions. if we had metal oil pans we could just weld in a baffle(s), but since our pan is plastic we get screwed there. and finally someone comes up with a cast pan and it still doesn't have anything robust (imo). kind of dissappointing.

the good thing about the oil accumulator is it protects for a lot of situations like cracked oil pans, broken oil pumps, blocked oil pickups, etc. pretty much anything that can limit your oil circulation.

mamock116

Ready to race!
My car didnt come with an oil pressure sensor. At least I do not see it as an option on the Cobb AP.

Grandturismo

Ready to race!
So the right way to resolve this via an Accusump or APR OPS?

If this is the main hurdle to making this car reliable at the track, it's not so bad. I'm fairly certain there are Porsche's that have this same exact problem.

There are a few ways to try and alleviate the problem, the accusump is certainly piece of mind when pulling high G's. I've run the APR OPS for a few years now with about 15-20 track days a year. I'm also running a heavier/thicker oil, Motul 300V Le Mans 20W60.

You're right about the Porsches.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
There are a few ways to try and alleviate the problem, the accusump is certainly piece of mind when pulling high G's. I've run the APR OPS for a few years now with about 15-20 track days a year. I'm also running a heavier/thicker oil, Motul 300V Le Mans 20W60.

You're right about the Porsches.

This is reassuring. Knowing that there's an effective fix makes me feel OK about sinking more money into my car.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Been told by a couple Mk6 drivers that track regularly to make sure your oil levels are at max and overfill a bit so you won't have that problem. Forgot if half a quart or a full quart over.

I overfill until the level gets above max on the dipstick. I have not had any issues tracking the car especially on long sweepers that induce high G's.

However, you will occasionally blow smoke out your exhaust because of the overfill but you know racekar. :laugh:

zrickety

The Fixer

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I overfill until the level gets above max on the dipstick. I have not had any issues tracking the car especially on long sweepers that induce high G's.

However, you will occasionally blow smoke out your exhaust because of the overfill but you know racekar. :laugh:

I managed to have this happen to me when I first bought the car. I took it to an autocross on the OEM A/S tires. Oil wasn't overfilled and I had no idea what had happened until recently.

Apparently it doesn't take too much cornering load to make this happen... unless I can magically get more out of a crappy set of all seasons than anybody else.

I guess this could be another benefit of the Accusump. Not having to overfill the car.

zrickety

The Fixer
Great info.