GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Scariest car jack in history

riceburner

Autocross Champion
not that i prefer using it, but i actually think it's an okay jack? lol. It's pretty easy and effortless to use and puts the car up enough to change a wheel or something if needed. I don't believe it's going to just collapse under it's own pressure or something, I really can't see VW putting themselves at such a liabiity.

The only thing i can see happening is the car moving and making it topple over on a slope or something, since it doesn't have too much outward or side to side support/legs.

As with any jack, I prefer not to get under a car unless I have stands.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah I definitely would not want to shake the car at all. There was one time it did wobble a little because I forgot to put the ebrake on. That was a little scary... but assuming flat solid surface I never had an issue

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
not that i prefer using it, but i actually think it's an okay jack? lol. It's pretty easy and effortless to use and puts the car up enough to change a wheel or something if needed. I don't believe it's going to just collapse under it's own pressure or something, I really can't see VW putting themselves at such a liabiity.

Yeah, exactly. It's designed to be compact and to get a wheel off the ground on the side of the road. It's perfectly competent at that.

As with any jack, I prefer not to get under a car unless I have stands.

Never ever ever put any part of you under a car that's only supported by a jack. Ever.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i dont. maybe i didn't word that correct. haha

elcroato1

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, exactly. It's designed to be compact and to get a wheel off the ground on the side of the road. It's perfectly competent at that.

Never ever ever put any part of you under a car that's only supported by a jack. Ever.

I wouldn't agree. Mine failed when the threaded portion began to give out, causing the car to fall. I was lucky to have another widow maker close by in my old mk4. I then supported the car before it touched down and I finished swapping wheels. Too be fair I had used it more than a few times, so the metal was probably fatigued.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I thought this was going to be scariest car jack(ing) in history. Im so disappointed. Not that I want to see that happen to you or anyone on here but its interesting to see or read about

Rofl same.

With that said, I've never used it since buying the car, however heard plenty of stories.

I also agree that VW wouldn't provide a jack that is that bad. If you are getting hurt using it, it's moreso because you are using it for NOT what it's designed for. I'm sure they had only tire changes in mind and at that, it shouldn't be all that dangerous since you don't need to get under the car.

Now if you are using that jack and getting under the car, I think that's more at your own risk and the reason it's known as the widowmaker, lol.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Oh man, I had to share this pic also, hilarious :D:D:bellyroll:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
(EDIT): I see i've already pretty much summed this up above and forgot lol.

I might be alone here, but for its intended purpose, and maintaining a light weight and compact design, I believe the EMERGENCY roadside jack is just fine? I've used it a few times, and actually experienced no issues... The purpose, as far as I'm concerned, is for swapping to a spare tire, nothing more. Therefore, having no need to get under the car for such a task, the widowmaker claims are unsubstantiated. It jacks up fairly quick and easily. I wouldn't want to jack it up on anything but a flat paved surface, preferably with no incline (as should be the case any time jacking up a car), and would not want to rock the car while it is jacked (as should be the case always anyway).

Anyone with me?

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
I had it collapse on me just the other day, luckily wheel was still on at the time, any sort of incline, soft gravel/mud, or movement of car will topple it over! I know that it isn't meant for those situations, but flat tires can happen anywhere. Luckily I just drove the car forward a few inches to get it to topple the rest of the way and brought a good jack from home to the car. I will be going to the wreckers this week and picking up a more standard emergency jack to put in the trunk incase it happens again!