GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Slip or Something Else?

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
So my car is Stratified stage 2, stock TCU mapping and I was doing logs for my current revision. Did a pull in 3rd from 1800ish rpm to redline, right around peak torque (3500ish) rpm, I got what felt like slippage. Logs show rpm dropped from 3700 to 3400 and then picked up again, also saw some smaller dips. I've been noticing this behavior for a while, but it's never been this bad. Acceleration is inconsistent, you can hear it audibly in the exhaust note changes while at WOT. If I go WOT using the kickdown switch I have never noticed this happening. I'll try to get a video and add it.

Car makes boost fine. 22-23 psi 3rd/4th gear, and 23-24psi 5th/6th (Ported stock turbo forge wga + FBO ). VDyno says output is somewhere around 255/340 whp/wtq on 91 oct. Tuner said he added a "healthy" bump in load this revision. Max torque seems to hit 2-300rpm sooner.

So I am wondering could it be?

A. DSG Slip
B. TCU aggressively limiting torque due to lack of DSG tune
C. Something else?

Most likely unrelated, I've got a intake whistle noise or something under mid-heavy throttle, shop says it's bad resonance and couldn't find a leak. I'm changing my DV+ to the new turbosmart EM VR1 later today, hopefully that solves the noise.

https://datazap.me/u/dallasdub/stratified-v220-log-1?log=0&data=6-27

You can see what I'm talking about pretty good on datazap if you plot rpm.

3rd Gear Vdyno - Revision 2.20

You can see the inconsistencies in accel. Has anyone else experienced this?
I plan on getting a DSG tune around Black Friday.

Thanks for any help. Probably post this on FB as well.

Last edited:

MmmmmBoost

Ready to race!
HIGHLY doubt your DSG is slipping, this seems like either a traction control issue or DSG limit being hit, which is more likely. For reference I think the DSG o2q has been tested upto 600ftlbs on stock clutches.

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
Dsg tune is needed. That's normal.

If it was a slip, take the dsg drain plug off. It has a straw in it to not allow it to drain out. If it's low, a dsg will slip (usually at idle though but playing devil's advocate) because it uses the fluid for clutch pressure. So take the drain plug out and add a little fluid. If it comes out, then youre full. There's no dip stick, so that's how you tell... super dumb I know. But I HIGHLY doubt it's a slip, you need a tune. If you haven't done the dsg service yet, that's how it's done except you take that straw out to drain it completely ha

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
HIGHLY doubt your DSG is slipping, this seems like either a traction control issue or DSG limit being hit, which is more likely. For reference I think the DSG o2q has been tested upto 600ftlbs on stock clutches.

I'm aware of the 600 ft lb limit, I think it was hpa that tested that far. But I know that was tuned a dsg. Was just wondering if a untuned dsg could slip. I know it's highly unlikely, just really weird seeing a rpm dip that large.

It wasn't traction issues, flat dry stretch of road. Running Continental extreme contact sports, with powerflex alk and dogbone insert both 95a durometer. Car currently spins in 2nd, but 3rd has been solid.

Time to find a good dsg tune...

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Dsg tune is needed. That's normal.

If it was a slip, take the dsg drain plug off. It has a straw in it to not allow it to drain out. If it's low, a dsg will slip (usually at idle though but playing devil's advocate) because it uses the fluid for clutch pressure. So take the drain plug out and add a little fluid. If it comes out, then youre full. There's no dip stick, so that's how you tell... super dumb I know. But I HIGHLY doubt it's a slip, you need a tune. If you haven't done the dsg service yet, that's how it's done except you take that straw out to drain it completely ha

I'm guessing it's time to service my DSG, it's been a while and I beat on the car daily.

Need to get a dsg tune with more than the typical 500nm(368 ft lb)limit because I'm gonna blow past that. Still gotta tune on 93 and E30. Also planning on adding DPI water meth in a few months.

So far options seem limited... HPA (stage 3 dsg), UM stage 2, and IE dsg tune. Hopefully Cobb will move up their timeline for the mk6 dsg tune, it will be much more affordable than the others.

Would a slipping dsg @ idle/low speed/rpm sound like belt slip/squeal? Was getting that noise a while back, haven't heard it in a few weeks.

Jet08

Ready to race!
With clutchpack slippage you would get an increase in revs not a decrease, a decrease would infer that the TCU-ECU is trying to torque limit this usually takes place between programmed shift points. At 3,500rpm and assuming you are WOT there should be no gearshift indicators in the program (stock tune on the TCU)

MmmmmBoost

Ready to race!
I'm aware of the 600 ft lb limit, I think it was hpa that tested that far. But I know that was tuned a dsg. Was just wondering if a untuned dsg could slip. I know it's highly unlikely, just really weird seeing a rpm dip that large.

It wasn't traction issues, flat dry stretch of road. Running Continental extreme contact sports, with powerflex alk and dogbone insert both 95a durometer. Car currently spins in 2nd, but 3rd has been solid.

Time to find a good dsg tune...

Actually when I was having a convo with one of the guys from HPA they thought it wasnt legit. It was some guys in the states that tested the dsg on their mkv r32. More recently theres a guy in europe with the fastest mk6 on stock clutches (dsg). An untuned dsg is less likely to get slip being that its limits are lower in torque ratings, the limiter would kick in so it wouldnt even be able to reach that torque level. Higher limited ones are more likely for slippage but increased clamping pressure mitigates it to an extent. You arent experiencing dsg slip, limiter is just kicking in and telling your ecu to chill a bit.