GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Found a used 2010 GTI (99k miles for $6800), have some questions...

torga

Autocross Champion
Unfortunately I'm moving into a new place in a couple months on my own, so the cheaper the car, the better. Just wasn't quite sure how much more the maintenance on it would be vs a Honda/Toyota.

But given my money situation, it seems like an older Honda Civic is the way to go, especially if I can do my own work on it. At least at this stage in my life. Hopefully in a year or 2 I can get a fun car. I was considering looking at cheaper Certified pre owned cars for the warranty, but I can't stomach getting a 12k-14k car just to beat the car up and lose all the depreciation. (Been checking this on/off between deliveries, haven't been able to give the best replies. Will check this thread in a few hours again and go through everything mentioned.)

Sounds like you've already got your answer, OP.
Putt around in something reliable and cheap to maintain for now. Save up a little egg of cash to hopefully buy yourself something fun in a few years. Patience pays off.
German cars are not budget cars, nor cars to stretch maintenance intervals on.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Don't confuse fast with fun. You can get a very fun car that isn't particularly quick. Even something like the Honda Fit will be super reliable, cheap to own, and although it's not a fast car you'll have a lot of fun throwing the little thing around corners. My old 2005 Impreza RS wasn't fast, but man that car was fun to drive, you don't need a lot of power to have a fun car.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Even something like the Honda Fit will be super reliable, cheap to own, and although it's not a fast car you'll have a lot of fun throwing the little thing around corners.

Exactly!!! Honda Fit is a very fun car. I had one before my GTI. 37mpg, and with a nice set of tires and some coil overs it handled very well. Super reliable and cheap too. It was as slow as a minivan but it was still fun. If OP really wants a hatch it’s a great choice!

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Exactly!!! Honda Fit is a very fun car. I had one before my GTI. 37mpg, and with a nice set of tires and some coil overs it handled very well. Super reliable and cheap too. It was as slow as a minivan but it was still fun. If OP really wants a hatch it’s a great choice!

My :23: Bad Bunny says get the GTI however my simple Fun Fit side says get a FIT....

https://youtu.be/LS0Pju83ruw