GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's Decided. 2.5 Turbo. Winter 2019

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion

Can't speak to which part to go with but I think that's a good choice on brand as they used to have a 2.5L turbo kit back in the day and would likely have decent support. They seem pretty on top of things as I was just reading an artlicle about a turbo build they just did on a sportwagon recently.

Between that and the turbo manifold you posted you're well on your way. You've officially poked your head down into the rabbit hole and had a look around.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!

Sadly PrecisionTurbo doesn't share compressor maps, it would have been useful to compare with a 5858 (which performs great on our car)

I'm not sure about the PT5931e, turbine wheel seems small and it's only available on T3

Between the PT5554 and the PT5969, it depends of what you are looking for. If you are looking for quick spool, I would take the PT5554. If you are looking for power at high rpm, I would take the PT5969

The PT5554 is also only offered on T3

As for the PT5969, it looks like a strange configuration to me, the turbine wheel being bigger than the compressor wheel.

I would take the PT5969 with the smallest AR ratio. If you're using T3, I would take the PT5931

Without budget restriction, I would take a PT5858, PT5862 or PT6262

For your question about cooling, you are talking about the intercooler ?

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Sadly PrecisionTurbo doesn't share compressor maps, it would have been useful to compare with a 5858 (which performs great on our car)

I'm not sure about the PT5931e, turbine wheel seems small and it's only available on T3

Between the PT5554 and the PT5969, it depends of what you are looking for. If you are looking for quick spool, I would take the PT5554. If you are looking for power at high rpm, I would take the PT5969

The PT5554 is also only offered on T3

As for the PT5969, it looks like a strange configuration to me, the turbine wheel being bigger than the compressor wheel.

I would take the PT5969 with the smallest AR ratio. If you're using T3, I would take the PT5931

Without budget restriction, I would take a PT5858, PT5862 or PT6262

For your question about cooling, you are talking about the intercooler ?

I'm leaning toward a T3 as the manifold I'm eyeing is a T3. When you punch in the make and model of my car into Bluewater's part search the 5931 and 5969 come up. (I'm assuming it's what they used on their boosted Golf) From what I can tell these are bigger then some of the builds I've seen on MK5s (couple PT 5457s and a PT SC34).

No sorry I meant a line from the water pump to cool the turbo itself.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Can't speak to which part to go with but I think that's a good choice on brand as they used to have a 2.5L turbo kit back in the day and would likely have decent support. They seem pretty on top of things as I was just reading an artlicle about a turbo build they just did on a sportwagon recently.

Between that and the turbo manifold you posted you're well on your way. You've officially poked your head down into the rabbit hole and had a look around.
Did you ever end up taking apart the intake manifold?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion

Maybe this was meant for MLue. Not sure what you are referring to specifically but I have monkeyed with my IE setup extensively so if you have any questions about pretty much anything IE for the 2.5L I've probably been down that road and may have already engaged IE.

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Maybe this was meant for MLue. Not sure what you are referring to specifically but I have monkeyed with my IE setup extensively so if you have any questions about pretty much anything IE for the 2.5L I've probably been down that road and may have already engaged IE.
Whoops! it was sorry buddy

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Yes started but been busy and got caught up with other things, then lost interest, sorry.

You prolly haven't been following lately, I bought a UM/HEP SRI so that's what we're using for now. I haven't posted much about it, to be honest it sounds great but I find the over all performance a bit "soft"; data login indicate no timing being pulled. Maybe the winter gas we are using right now, IDK.

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Yes started but been busy and got caught up with other things, then lost interest, sorry.

You prolly haven't been following lately, I bought a UM/HEP SRI so that's what we're using for now. I haven't posted much about it, to be honest it sounds great but I find the over all performance a bit "soft"; data login indicate no timing being pulled. Maybe the winter gas we are using right now, IDK.
UM/HEP? I'm unfamiliar

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
UM/HEP? I'm unfamiliar
One of the first Short Runner Intake Manifolds (SRI), I believe it was designed by Jeff at United Motorsport (after he developed the SRI Tune for C2 Motorsport, so it is a bit of an evolution) and manufactured by HEP. Highest documented HP numbers with the 2.5 turbos, prolly due to the large 7.5 litre plenum volume.

Curious..soft how? And soft across the entire RPM range?
Sorry Orange spy, I don't want to Hijack this thread.

The SRI does work as expected, torque is reduced until after 4.5k, then pulls better to 7k but my over all impression is it's soft. Maybe for other 2.5 guys it may be great but if I compare it to my old Time Attack Acura RSX-S with Skunk 2 Intake Manifold it falls short.

I checked for vacuum leak, reset every thing, fuel trim, re-initialized the TB, tried changing the PCV Vacuum port to before the throttle body like Naffy's but that's not it. Data login shows the timing is not being pulled.

Daily driving, my Son hates it, we gotta rev the pi$$ out of it in traffic. We are waiting on two events to get some redemption, ... change over to Summer Gas and Track Days.

:sm3:

Lets get back to talking Turbo .... .

Last edited:

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Okay. Heres the plan

For the first stage of this it will be low boost (10psi) and on the cheaper side to get started.

PT 5931
SPA Turbo Manifold
Hollowed out Stock intake
FM Intercooler 27"x7" with 2.5 piping
MAFless with blow off valve
External 38mm Wastegate
550cc Injectors
Walbro Fuel pump
UM Tune

Most likely need to upgrade the clutch and diff before I can start reinforcing the engine and bumping up the PSI.

In the future

IE Forged Rods (Lower compression)
IE SRI
Upgrade the blow off and Wastegate.
maybe a water/meth.
Unsure what I'll get the PSI up to after this

Any thoughts on a catch can?

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Okay. Heres the plan

For the first stage of this it will be low boost (10psi) and on the cheaper side to get started.

PT 5931
SPA Turbo Manifold
Hollowed out Stock intake
FM Intercooler 27"x7" with 2.5 piping
MAFless with blow off valve
External 38mm Wastegate
550cc Injectors
Walbro Fuel pump
UM Tune

Most likely need to upgrade the clutch and diff before I can start reinforcing the engine and bumping up the PSI.

In the future

IE Forged Rods (Lower compression)
IE SRI
Upgrade the blow off and Wastegate.
maybe a water/meth.
Unsure what I'll get the PSI up to after this

Any thoughts on a catch can?

For the question about cooling, the 5931e seems to be oil cooled

The list seems good, don't forget inline fuel filter and fuel regulator

For the catch can, I would recommend APR / 42 Draft Design
If you are looking for something cheaper and efficient, I would look into the mishimoto replica. It's a small catch can, but with a good design and it have a drain, so you can put a hose and a valve to drain it quickly, that's what I bought, I will install it once I receive my valve cover

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
For the question about cooling, the 5931e seems to be oil cooled

The list seems good, don't forget inline fuel filter and fuel regulator

For the catch can, I would recommend APR / 42 Draft Design
If you are looking for something cheaper and efficient, I would look into the mishimoto replica. It's a small catch can, but with a good design and it have a drain, so you can put a hose and a valve to drain it quickly, that's what I bought, I will install it once I receive my valve cover

If it were an inline pump would the filter on the original pump not do it?
I never thought of a fuel regulator and to be honest don't even know a thing about them. Any tips? Also will I need a restrictor for the oil going to the turbo?

I haven't looked to much into catch cans or how they work but if there is a valve on the bottom could you not feed it right back to the oil pan? or is the oil compromised in some way?