GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2013 TDI! adding GTI Cosmetics?

afterscience

This is my first post here, and I've just been overwhelmed with so much info on both this Forum and the TDIClub forums!

Anyways, I purchased my new Silver 2013 TDI 4-Door Automatic about 3 1/2 weeks ago, and I'm loving it!

At the dealer, I was test driving this one next to the 2013 GTI 4-Door Automatic, and it was down to the wire between which one to get (very comparable prices), and I finally decided on the TDI for the MPG, due to my long weekly commutes.

The only thing that I 'wish' my TDI had that the GTI had were a few of the cosmetics, namely --

- GTI Front End
- Plaid Seats (I LOVED THESE SO MUCH)
- Red lining interior
- Shifter
- Pedals

Is it common and/or possible to add these to TDIs? And if yes, then what kind of prices would I expect? I've only spent a few hours skimming threads and searching, but I've yet to find something that covers exactly what I'm asking, other than specific mods, etc.

If not getting these EXACT materials, what are some comparable modifications that you guys have done that give the TDI a little bit more of the GTI physical appearance 'oomph' that I get when I see one :) ?

If there IS a thread that covers this, my apologies, and please direct me the right way :cool:

I am looking forward to years of fun with this car!

Thanks in advance :)

Smasher1

Passed Driver's Ed
yes, it is possible to put on a TDI almost everything from a GTI.

I am installing the GTI exhaust next week on mine, and LED taillights and LED\HID headlights as well.

As for the seats, I think it is not a good idea. Exactly same seat, but different color, and actually I like the TDI's fabric much better (I owned a GTI before). What I truly miss is the GTIs steering wheel. other than that, not a big difference between them.

dvannoy

Ready to race!
Both cars are a golf when it comes down to it, so most is relatively easy. I have a few gti parts on mine:

I never sprung for the front bumper, I like it, but I also like my tdi one as well. My car looks like a gti to the quick glance anyway.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, but it is cheaper to buy a GTI with all those goods and drive for 5 years than to upgrade the TDI to look the same.

Is there a reason you want to go as far as changing out the seats/bumpers? That won't be cheap no matter how you slice and dice it.

dvannoy

Ready to race!
Sorry, but it is cheaper to buy a GTI with all those goods and drive for 5 years than to upgrade the TDI to look the same.

Is there a reason you want to go as far as changing out the seats/bumpers? That won't be cheap no matter how you slice and dice it.

Agreed, I had the same plans for mine. Then thought "wtf are you thinking?" So I did wheels, exhaust, and called it a day.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Maybe the guy Wanted a GTD, but because VWoA is such a Prick when it comes to available Models, we TDI guys who want it have to resort to Tunes, and GTI Kits!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Maybe the guy Wanted a GTD, but because VWoA is such a Prick when it comes to available Models, we TDI guys who want it have to resort to Tunes, and GTI Kits!

My point is... if you want a GTD there is no reason to buy a TDI and make it look like one.

A GTI is faster than GTD and will be cheaper for the next foreseeable future given the cost it will take to upgrade a TDI to look like one. :thumbsup:

Smasher1

Passed Driver's Ed
on a GTI I still had to change factory wheels (I hate the stock wheel), tint it, and get the LEDs in the front and rear, so the only thing the TDI gets from a GTI is the rear valance and the GTI exhaust (both for around 250$). So no, it wouldn't be any cheaper to buy a GTI instead of a TDI.

Smasher1

Passed Driver's Ed
on a GTI I still had to change factory wheels (I hate the stock wheel), tint it, and get the LEDs in the front and rear, so the only thing the TDI gets from a GTI is the rear valance and the GTI exhaust (both for around 250$). So no, it wouldn't be any cheaper to buy a GTI instead of a TDI.

But, I agree that bumpers and seats are expensive and pointless upgrades. I would accept the Autobahn seats... but not the cloth GTI seat vs TDI seat.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Couldn't you just find someone who got the cloth GTI Seats who didn't want, and just Trade? That would save cost, then all you would need to do is find the bumper, rear valence, rear exhaust, and steering wheel. Everyone who mods changes wheels anyways, so you don't need the wheels

YeahBuddy

Go Kart Champion

...sorry I just needed a place to show this to the world and it landed in your thread.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I have a set of GTI plaid seats in mine if you want them :)