GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to Change the Headlight Bulb...

HexWarrior5

Hey Guys,

I have halogen lamps, just wondering if anybody has upgraded the bulbs yet...I'm looking at the Osram Rallye, it seems like the best available bulb to upgrade. Please let me know a procedure to do this, if it's easy or a pain in the ass...lemme know guys.

Also if anybody used this bulb before, pics would be appreciated!!! :-D

pvivino

Ready to race!
I love my Osram Rallye 65w halogens.

It is very easy. There is a rubber cover you pull off. Inside is a plastic tab that you rotate 90 degrees and the old bulb comes out. Replace the bulb, reinsert and put the cover on. It is a little tight on the battery side but not bad. Sorry I do not have photos of this.

I've had trouble with halogen bulbs not lasting long enough in the past. I've always been careful to not touch the bulb, but they would still burn out too fast. I read on a lighting forum that it is worth rinsing the bulb off with denatured alcohol and air drying before you install them so I did this. Two months and still working but I'll have to see if this extra step is worth it.

HexWarrior5

Thanks for the info and help...will have to place an order soon and upgrade to those Rallyes, do you see an definate increase in light output? How about any noticable difference in color temperature?

BTW...it's awesome that you have an '85 GTV6...was always a huge fan of the Alfa GTV6's.

pvivino

Ready to race!
Definitely brighter than stock. It's a little whiter, but not the white-blue of Xenon bulbs.

Thanxs on the GTV6. The 1986 GTV6 was my first really fun car (besides of course my 1979 Rabbit). I drove the heck out of it. Unfortunately it rusted into nothing and back then I knew nothing about fixing drive shaft rubber donuts. I sold it to a kid in Conn for a few hundred for parts. I bought a west coast 1985 GTV6 a few years ago and drive it in nice weather only. Fun to drive a rear drive oversteer car again. The GTI can blow it away in a lot of ways, but I like to take out the Alfa for variety.