GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Focus ST vs GTI

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
My friend who kept his stage 2+ ST after it blew. Just blew his engine again. Cyl 1 which is the same failure. Holes on both sides of the block. He was mid rpm and in boost. The replacement engine was used and has less than 10k miles on it when the dealer swapped it. He put maybe 5k miles on since the swap. Had all the same parts on and a off the shelf Cobb AP tune.

How much horsepower is he putting down? All the local guys are running custom tunes, most using Stratified tuning, and none of them have had any issues with a blown motor. Most of them see pushing 275-280whp and 360wtq too; 3 of them now are BT pushing 400whp on custom tunes.

Maybe the off the shelf tune isn't jiving well with something he's running :S

I sat in the Focus ST at the auto show. I was in and out in less than 5 seconds. :yikes:

I never could find the "Made by Mattel" sticker inside...though you'd swear it was [emoji38]

Avant

Ready to race!
ROFL! That dude is full of shit, they make max around 235whp; Ford gives out crank horsepower numbers, unlike VW which gives out wheel horsepower numbers (for the most part).

The inside is cheap, plasticy, and felt like it was going to fall apart. I test drove two of them on separate occasions, they are so cheaply made inside. :barf:

I've pulled on a stage 2 ST on E85 making 280whp/360wtq - they are weak cars that really don't make use of all the power they make. Hell I think a k04 GTI would likely beat a Big Turbo ST; I think the fastest BT ST I've seen was around a high 12 quarter, not super impressive (I searched for quite a while, and that is the fastest I've seen via a video. I've yet to see a timeslip for anything faster either).

I am 99.99% sure that VW (and all OEM's) state their crank power (whether it's inflated or underrated).

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
I am 99.99% sure that VW (and all OEM's) state their crank power (whether it's inflated or underrated).

No

Our cars are rated at 200 and pull ~197 on dyno

Avant

Ready to race!
No

Our cars are rated at 200 and pull ~197 on dyno

Hmm, that's new to me.

However I would still say that it depends on the dyno.

A stock MK6 GTI makes 183whp/195wtq on GIAC's Mustang Dyno so I'd go as far to say that VW underrated the MK6 GTI.

CiHKAL1

Ready to race!
Hmm, that's new to me.

However I would still say that it depends on the dyno.

A stock MK6 GTI makes 183whp/195wtq on GIAC's Mustang Dyno so I'd go as far to say that VW underrated the MK6 GTI.

I wouldn't say it's uncommon knowledge that VW at least rates near WHP for the MK6 and possibly others. Look at the trap speed of a MK7 in the quarter mile, most likely underrated or near WHP by VW.

Avant

Ready to race!
HMMMMMM.

Yeah.. I really wanna race an ST lol.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
How much horsepower is he putting down?

Maybe the off the shelf tune isn't jiving well with something he's running :S

I have no clue what kind of power a ST has with every supporting mod except a larger turbo. I know there are for sure higher power ST's out there. Maybe a production line issue on engine assembly and ford is keeping it under wraps.

it also doesn't explain why so many have had failed engines even 100% stock. Again eluding to a potential production or part issue. All the theories I remember reading on the forums discussing this issue had zero facts backing up their claim. they were simply theories.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
This was posted in my local Focus ST group just today:

This is similar to my experience when I raced a Stage 3 ST (280whp), but me as a Stage 2 GTI, with the exception that I stayed dead even with him through 3rd, and I pulled considerably more as soon I shifted to 4th (5-6 cars).

Someone had posted the C&D article pitting the '15 GTI vs the '13 ST and they (the ST group) were talking about 0-60 times or how they think the times from a bunch of online sources are bullshit (mid 6's), and something about how C&D is always on VW's nuts because it always praises VW and blasts Ford...I lol'd but tried to abstain from commenting.
VW is a much more refined car, it truly is. It has a high quality interior for the price you pay, my paint isn't chipping off like all the Ford guys (locally) have been talking about their cars doing, and I've seen at least 3, maybe 4 of the local guys go to the dealer on a tow truck for reasons they will not specify to me - I'm assuming electrical, because that appears to be the number one issue across all Ford vehicles currently (source is a consumer reports article, too lazy to find it and link it right now).

The same guy as above just posted this too:

Superior interior even in the Ford world :lol: :bellyroll:

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
This is also why the MK6 is better than the Focus ST.

Just like was talked about already in here, this apparently just happens and is talked about as being "Luck of the draw". Fuck that. You don't see that happening around here. People have their issues, but you don't see motors popping left and right.

zalani

Passed Driver's Ed
Brother in law with a stock ST was talking shit, saying he's never been beaten by a GTI.
I plan on changing that.

If i'm understanding right, seems like stage 2 is enough to smoke him?

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
K04 can take on the entire ST world. bring it on bitches.

But for real one of my good buddies has a beautiful stage 3 cobb st, and its pretty strong.... but I can still rape him 6 ways from sunday.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
K04 can take on the entire ST world. bring it on bitches.

But for real one of my good buddies has a beautiful stage 3 cobb st, and its pretty strong.... but I can still rape him 6 ways from sunday.

This... the 4 STs nearby will not race me... as much as i try

fast2ghl

Ready to race!